Drink package on Pride of America

turtlegirl2

We have the drink package as a perk on a Hawaiian cruise in Feb of 2020. I think the agent called it the adult drink package when I made the reservation but now I’m wondering if that is accurate. Can anyone tell me if alcohol drinks are included in this perk for Hawaii? TIA!

• 1 month later...

The owner of the travel agency I use did a POA Cruise recently and I was asking her about it (the cruise in general) since I am doing the same (Cruise then stay at Disney’s Aulani for a few days after) and she said “If you drink, make sure to get the beverage package” (and she does so she should know). 

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

• 3 weeks later...

The coffee bar is never included in the drink packages unfortunately! I have at least 1 latte every day and it's usually in the $4-$5 range for a large but they are really good. I've always had drink packages and always have to pay separately for my coffee, but based on the regular coffee in the dining rooms or buffet..the extra few dollars is worth it for me. 

On 6/29/2019 at 8:58 AM, turtlegirl2 said:

We have the drink package as a perk on a Hawaiian cruise in Feb of 2020. I think the agent called it the adult drink package when I made the reservation but now I’m wondering if that is accurate. Can anyone tell me if alcohol drinks are included in this perk for Hawaii? TIA!

The drink package for the POA has a limit on drinks per day, if I remember correctly.  Hawaiian law precludes an unlimited drink package, unless it is part of the fare for everyone (sunset cruises out of Honolulu with open bar), so just recently NCL came up with a work-around that allows a drink package that does not "promote excessive drinking".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FranknBeans said:

You may want to ask NCL about package and being able to order drinks while in a port as Hawaii has very strict laws about alcohol and gambling.  

You are always in Hawaiian waters, so there is no difference between being in port or sailing.

For example, when we did this cruise we were charged tax on drinks for the entire cruise.

Edited by KeithJenner

3 hours ago, griff75 said:

The coffee bar is never included in the drink packages unfortunately! I have at least 1 latte every day and it's usually in the $4-$5 range for a large but they are really good. I've always had drink packages and always have to pay separately for my coffee, but based on the regular coffee in the dining rooms or buffet..the extra few dollars is worth it for me. 

They are included in the Premium Plus Package

5 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

You are always in Hawaiian waters, so there is no difference between being in port or sailing.

For example, when we did this cruise we were charged tax on drinks for the entire cruise.

How much tax was charged on each drink? 

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snow1 said:

How much tax was charged on each drink? 

Thanks

11 minutes ago, BSR said:

We were charged around 4%.

Hawaii charges GET tax on everything purchased (goods and services) within the state.  GET is 4% throughout the state, and 4.5% in Oahu.

15 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Hawaii charges GET tax on everything purchased (goods and services) within the state.  GET is 4% throughout the state, and 4.5% in Oahu.

And that 4% or 4.5% is on top of every single drink, all cruise long? Or was that part of the taxes we paid when we originally purchased the perk? 50 cents per drink isn’t much,  but they already hit us for taxes, didn’t they? Perhaps I’m just confused. 

2 minutes ago, idkanything said:

And that 4% or 4.5% is on top of every single drink, all cruise long? Or was that part of the taxes we paid when we originally purchased the perk? 50 cents per drink isn’t much,  but they already hit us for taxes, didn’t they? Perhaps I’m just confused. 

That was charged when you purchased the package.

24 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That was charged when you purchased the package.

So just to confirm that if you buy the package you are not charged anything extra while on the cruise and you're drinking?

I ask because I bought a drink package (and paid the tax) on Carnival and ended up being charged port tax every time I got a drink while in port.

12 hours ago, K_e_short said:

So just to confirm that if you buy the package you are not charged anything extra while on the cruise and you're drinking?

I ask because I bought a drink package (and paid the tax) on Carnival and ended up being charged port tax every time I got a drink while in port.

Anyone recently back from POA that can answer this question? Thank you!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, K_e_short said:

You still need to pay the port taxes on each drink.

• Like 1