Royal vs. Regal Princess cruises

Fortun8

On the caribbean princess they did add two new shows. Broadway Ballroom and Fantastic Journey.

I will say the silk aerialist were amazing and so incredibly talented. Could watch that duo all day.

On 7/10/2019 at 3:04 PM, geoherb said:

Another difference is the walkways between the outside decks on the Promenade Deck. The Regal has them accessible to passenger; the Royal's are off limits to passengers. Matt O' is supposed to be back soon on the Royal as CD. That's a plus for us, although we're not going to be able to take advantage of it.

We were wondering about the outside Promenade areas on the Royal being closed, we could not get an answer from the crew. We really enjoyed them on the Regal.

No Matt O. We missed him too

Edited by cattman

4 hours ago, cattman said:

We were wondering about the outside Promenade areas on the Royal being closed, we could not get an answer from the crew. We really enjoyed them on the Regal.

They should be closed only if there's a reason, such as rough seas. On our transatlantic cruise, all four outside Promenade Deck areas were closed simultaneously just a couple of times.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 5:17 PM, MissP22 said:

All I can say is that Princess certainly isn't taking much of a gamble with their guest entertainers over the past 15 to 20 years. :classic_laugh:

We started cruising on Princess in 2000 and last sailed in 2017 (have had health problems since).  Total of 30 cruises.  When we cruised we often did 2-3/year and in all those cruises I don't recall hardly any repeat guest performers.  We often did 1-2 TAs a year so perhaps it's different vis a vis entertainers on those cruises vs doing 3 cruises in the Caribbean a year.

On 7/11/2019 at 6:41 PM, cattman said:

We were wondering about the outside Promenade areas on the Royal being closed, we could not get an answer from the crew. We really enjoyed them on the Regal.  . . .

I would hardly call those outside areas on the Royal/Regal "promenades".  They're small uncovered outdoor areas on Deck 7 with a few places to sit.  According to Merriam-Webster dictionary a promenade is "a place for strolling."  On the grand-class ships, there is a true covered promenade that goes all the way around the ship with a stair up to the bow and back down again.  One can do laps on it if one is so inclined.  Or one can sit in a deck chair in the shade and contemplate the ocean, watch for flying fish and sea birds, read a book, take a nap, etc.  The only comparable area on the Royal/Regal is aft of the buffet.  It's a small covered area, but has comfortable chairs, a view of the wake and a bar.  

19 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

We started cruising on Princess in 2000 and last sailed in 2017 (have had health problems since).  Total of 30 cruises.  When we cruised we often did 2-3/year and in all those cruises I don't recall hardly any repeat guest performers.  We often did 1-2 TAs a year so perhaps it's different vis a vis entertainers on those cruises vs doing 3 cruises in the Caribbean a year.

We must be traveling on different Princess ships as I haven't seen any new guest entertainers in the Caribbean in over 5 years. 

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We must be traveling on different Princess ships as I haven't seen any new guest entertainers in the Caribbean in over 5 years. 

I think the "key" is cruising only in the Caribbean vs cruising elsewhere.  Traditionally, we sail in the Caribbean in Jan. (we're from Michigan <g>).  Otherwise we cruise on transatlantics as we enjoy them very much.  There are always 2-3 daytime lecturers, and, amazingly, the nighttime entertainers vary even on all those consecutive sea days.  And there are 3 production shows scattered through the nightly entertainment over the 12-14-days these cruises usually take.  Pax have the option of complaining about repeat performers to management.  If enough people complain, maybe they'd change their M.O.

5 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

I think the "key" is cruising only in the Caribbean vs cruising elsewhere.  Traditionally, we sail in the Caribbean in Jan. (we're from Michigan <g>).  Otherwise we cruise on transatlantics as we enjoy them very much.  There are always 2-3 daytime lecturers, and, amazingly, the nighttime entertainers vary even on all those consecutive sea days.  And there are 3 production shows scattered through the nightly entertainment over the 12-14-days these cruises usually take.  Pax have the option of complaining about repeat performers to management.  If enough people complain, maybe they'd change their M.O.

A lot of it has to do with the amount that Princess wants to pay their entertainers. Talking to on entertainer at the buffet late one night he was saying that RCI pays more than Princess. He didn't say how much more but I assume it's considerable since there aren't many new entertainers on Princess lately.