Thermal suite

Bhop

On 2/19/2022 at 7:40 AM, kazu said:

There is definitely a limit.  When I went to inquire on the Westerdam, the spa person told me how many spots were left and I could see that her list had only so many spaces. Did use it on that cruise and it was never crowded.

There was a limit when I used it on the Nieuw Amsterdam just before the pandemic.  Still, there were times when it just wasn't possible to get one of the heated lounges.   It was recommended that people limit their time, but they didn't, and several times I had to pass.   The pool was great, though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grest said:

Still, there were times when it just wasn't possible to get one of the heated lounges.   It was recommended that people limit their time, but they didn't,

The thermal suite is the issue and has been ever since this amenity first appeared on a HAL ship.  The Pinnacle Class ships increased the number of Loungers, but, just as you found, there were times when all were in use.  When I find that happening, I either go back to the pool area and use the nice loungers around the pool or go out on the open deck by the mid-ships pool and find a deck chair.  

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know the current day pass price for the suite? I'm on a 7 day Alaska cruise on the Zuiderdam that leaves in a couple of weeks. Was planning to book the 7 day pass for 149USD per person but realized that we likely wouldn't get to it on at least 3 of the 7 days due to port visits. Wondering if it might be better to just pay for the days we decide to use it and hope it isn't booked up. Thanks!

Edited by DA346

8 hours ago, DA346 said:

Does anyone know the current day pass price for the suite? I'm on a 7 day Alaska cruise on the Zuiderdam that leaves in a couple of weeks. Was planning to book the 7 day pass for 149USD per person but realized that we likely wouldn't get to it on at least 3 of the 7 days due to port visits. Wondering if it might be better to just pay for the days we decide to use it and hope it isn't booked up. Thanks!

Sorry, but they don't sell day passes to the Thermal spa, Only the full 7 day pass for $149.  Looks like we might be on the same cruise.  Head over to the Aug 10 roll call and see who else is on your cruise.  Lot's of questions and answers available.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DA346 said:

On a recent cruise we just went to the Spa and bought the day pass. I believe day passes can only be purchased onboard in the Spa.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AIRBUSDRIVER said:

Sorry, but they don't sell day passes to the Thermal spa, Only the full 7 day pass for $149.  Looks like we might be on the same cruise.  Head over to the Aug 10 roll call and see who else is on your cruise.  Lot's of questions and answers available.  

Thanks. I'm on the roll call as well but thought this one might be better on the thermal suite thread as it appears most on the roll call haven't been doing a lot of sailing since the pandemic. Are you on the August 10th sail?

Edited by DA346

So I called Holland America to confirm and thought I'd post the answer to my own question here in case anyone else is wondering. I was told that day passes are available from the spa for 49 per person. You can also get a 2 day pass for 69 per person but it has to be used on consecutive days. She also told me that the online pre-booking discount for spa services (about 20-25%) doesn't apply to the thermal suite so whether you wait to book on board or book online it should be the same price (currently 149 per person). They've also done away with the couple's pass pricing which is unfortunate. For any other spa services it's cheaper to book online before you get onboard as the 20-25% discount applies. I also asked if the number of day passes available were restricted or limited. She confirmed that they were not but depending on how busy it is at a given time you may be asked to come back later. This would also apply to those with the week pass if the suite is at capacity so there doesn't seem to be a disadvantage there with the day passes. Hope this helps!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

DA346, thanks for the information.  We are doing Quebec to Boston 10 days in September . I think it is $196.  We will have plenty of opportunity to use it so might buy it.  We had it included on a package with Princess last fall and on Viking there is no charge and I used it there in May five times in two weeks, but that was a port intensive cruise in hot weather 

15 hours ago, DA346 said:

Thanks. I'm on the roll call as well but thought this one might be better on the thermal suite thread as it appears most on the roll call haven't been doing a lot of sailing since the pandemic. Are you on the August 10th sail?

Yes we are, Dave & Lauri, and Jim & Sue from Stonewall Manitoba.  2 weeks and counting

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My wife and I have always used the Thermal Suite (couples pass).  It is a nice place to relax away from the crowds and noise.  I am very disappointed however that HAL has started to assess 18% gratuity for weekly TS.

I don't see how they should charge this since there is no personal service involved like a manicure or massage.

Just now, 2LoveBikes said:

My wife and I have always used the Thermal Suite (couples pass).  It is a nice place to relax away from the crowds and noise.  I am very disappointed however that HAL has started to assess 18% gratuity for weekly TS.

I don't see how they should charge this since there is no personal service involved like a manicure or massage.

This seems to be a new way of charging while cost cutting.

I  noticed that "15 minute" limit on my Thermal Spa reservation for the first time too - suspect it might be a warning to not spend more than 15 minutes in a hot tub, since we witnessed and heard about  other  hot tub medical incidents recently.  

As well as a reminder one should not be a heated-lounger chair hog too, which can be very dreamy. But not for those who might be waiting to use them too - and there is really no way of knowing who might be waiting for one to open up. 

But my guess, is this became a corporate risk-management warning, after having so many medical incidents and medical evacuations (5 or six) on just one holiday cruise last year. 

• Like 1