Horseshoe Beach

RedRox

2 hours ago, Ken076 said:

What are the transportation options/costs Hamilton to Horseshoe Beach?  Thanks, Ken

These are one way costs:

By #7 bus, the three zone bus ride costs $3.50 cash (exact change in coins) or $2.75 for a three zone token. When taking the bus you'll have to walk down a hill from the bus stop, back up the hill upon your return.

A taxi will cost about $25 plus tip, for 1 -4 passengers, Monday through  Saturday. 5-7 passengers or on Sunday it will cost more. No walking up or down the hill when using a taxi.

25 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

Do the shuttles to Horseshoe Beach run on Sundays? And if you are doing a private taxi tour is there still a surcharge on Sunday?

Laura

Yes the shuttles run, and no there is no Sunday surcharge for a private taxi tour, at least there's no surcharge listed on the posted fare schedule.

• Like 1

Do they take credit cards for umbrella/ lounger rentals or do they require cash?  Sure is pricier than I had thought it would be, but based on what I read, Horseshoe Bay is the best pink sands place to visit if you want loungers/food/drinks/restrooms? Is this correct? 

44 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Do they take credit cards for umbrella/ lounger rentals or do they require cash?  Sure is pricier than I had thought it would be, but based on what I read, Horseshoe Bay is the best pink sands place to visit if you want loungers/food/drinks/restrooms? Is this correct? 

Horseshoe is the pink sand beach with full facilities. Chair and Umbrella rentals, food, drinks and changing rooms. They take MasterCard and Visa credit cards. They do not take AMEX and Discover. 

2 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

Do the shuttles to Horseshoe Beach run on Sundays? And if you are doing a private taxi tour is there still a surcharge on Sunday?

Laura

No surcharge for taxi tours. Those are at an hourly rate. Minimum of three hours. The surcharge is only on regular metered taxi fares. 

19 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Horseshoe is the pink sand beach with full facilities. Chair and Umbrella rentals, food, drinks and changing rooms. They take MasterCard and Visa credit cards. They do not take AMEX and Discover. 

Thank you very much!  Planning cash to take on this trip so this is helpful!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 3:14 PM, PelicanBill said:

If you have 6 people then a taxi is the same price as the van shuttle and will depart immediately.  This can be important.  The chair and umbrella rental place opens at 9am.  Get there early. The line gets to be an hour long and many people give up and lay their town down on the sand. Bring TWO towels!  Also the rentals are very expensive. Over $50 for 2 chairs and an umbrella.

But the beach is beautiful.  Enjoy it will low crowds early and leave by noon when the crowds get bad.

I agree!  Go very early and try to get your chairs in the front row.

We arrived around 10:00 and the beach was packed.  No sand chairs left.  We got the loungers and unbrella and I tipped very well to get a front spot down by the last lifeguard stand.  The chairs were heavy so I dragged them for the attendant for the last 40 yards or so.

We went on August 21.  Not the best water conditions vs. previous years.  There was a lot of seaweed and an undentified white substance floating on the water surface.  We walked down to the next cover (opposite end from the snack bar) and the water quality was a little better - just seaweed.

On our last day (short day) we tried Snorkel Beach (a short walk from the dockyard).  This is a man made beach.  The sand only goes out about 3 yards and then coral and rocks so bring swimming shoes if you have them.  Costs $5 pp to get in.  Very crowded but most only go in the water near the shore.  They were out of chairs and umbrellas so we just swam out beyond the crowd for a nice hour long swim.  OK for $5.  Drinks were on the expensive side, but it was OK for our last day.

3 hours ago, ctbeacher said:

I agree!  Go very early and try to get your chairs in the front row.

We arrived around 10:00 and the beach was packed.  No sand chairs left.  We got the loungers and unbrella and I tipped very well to get a front spot down by the last lifeguard stand.  The chairs were heavy so I dragged them for the attendant for the last 40 yards or so.

We went on August 21.  Not the best water conditions vs. previous years.  There was a lot of seaweed and an undentified white substance floating on the water surface.  We walked down to the next cover (opposite end from the snack bar) and the water quality was a little better - just seaweed.

I was there on August 22. Arrived about 10 and they still had the sand chairs. One thing I noticed that day from the towels was that most people there were passengers from Escape. Did not see many Celebrity towels. I prefer the sand chairs over the loungers and was glad they had them. We like to read. We also set up by the last lifeguard station. The attendant did not have to carry the chairs or umbrella. He used a cart with balloon wheels. We did tip him well for setting us up that far from the facilities. There was not much seaweed but the waves were really crashing. I told someone in another reply that I never got knocked down by waves at Horseshoe. Opps, I was getting hit hard and almost lost my sunglasses. 

24EF82CB-44CE-4393-9114-22D71E5A31FE.jpeg

Edited by Charles4515

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, zestyzorra said:

Could anyone tell me what you are supposed to do with the rental chairs/umbrella when you want to leave?  Do you have to drag them back yourself, or tell the attendants when you leave? 

TIA!

You do nothing. You leave them and don’t have to tell them. The rental concessions attendants pick up all the chairs and umbrellas from the beach between 5 and 5:30. The attendants also put the chairs and umbrellas out on the beach for you. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

You do nothing. You leave them and don’t have to tell them. The rental concessions attendants pick up all the chairs and umbrellas from the beach between 5 and 5:30. The attendants also put the chairs and umbrellas out on the for you. 

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You do nothing. You leave them and don’t have to tell them. The rental concessions attendants pick up all the chairs and umbrellas from the beach between 5 and 5:30. The attendants also put the chairs and umbrellas out on the beach for you. 

Do you mind if I ask you another question?  I notice you are very helpful on this board! 

I am on a cruise this June that docks at Kings Wharf at 3:15pm on a Friday, and departs at 4pm on Sunday.  Is it possible to take the minibus that late on Friday to Horseshoe Bay?  Do you know what time they stop running?  Also, I've heard they pack people in (30 passengers at a time), but is it still comfortable?  It will only be my husband and I, so I'd like to avoid taking a cab, but he is 6'5" and not prone to squishing.  

Thank you so much!!

9 hours ago, zestyzorra said:

Do you mind if I ask you another question?  I notice you are very helpful on this board! 

I am on a cruise this June that docks at Kings Wharf at 3:15pm on a Friday, and departs at 4pm on Sunday.  Is it possible to take the minibus that late on Friday to Horseshoe Bay?  Do you know what time they stop running?  Also, I've heard they pack people in (30 passengers at a time), but is it still comfortable?  It will only be my husband and I, so I'd like to avoid taking a cab, but he is 6'5" and not prone to squishing.  

Thank you so much!!

I don’t think your husband will be comfortable on a minibus unless he sits in the front passenger seat. That is possible if you ask the driver. Your husband probably sits in the front seat in a taxi. Your ship has an unusual arrival time. The minibuses run back and forth between the Dockyard and Horseshoe and stop running back from Horseshoe around 5 pm so theoretically you could still catch one to Horseshoe that late but I can’t say for sure. If your ship arrives at 3:15 it may not clear to let passengers off until 3:45. Takes about 30 minutes to get to Horseshoe. You would not have much time at the beach if you plan to take a minibus back. 

Edited by Charles4515

8 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I don’t think your husband will be comfortable on a minibus unless he sits in the front passenger seat. That is possible if you ask the driver. Your husband probably sits in the front seat in a taxi. Your ship has an unusual arrival time. The minibuses run back and forth between the Dockyard and Horseshoe and stop running back from Horseshoe around 5 pm so theoretically you could still catch one to Horseshoe that late but I can’t say for sure. If your ship arrives at 3:15 it may not clear to let passengers off until 3:45. Takes about 30 minutes to get to Horseshoe. You would not have much time at the beach if you plan to take a minibus back. 

You are correct, he does prefer the front seat.  I didn't even think about that for the minibus, so that is a great idea.  Thank you!  

I am also not thrilled with the ship dates in Bermuda, but I am just focusing on the positive, which is that I get to go at all!  I wish Celebrity had a free ferry to St. George like NCL, it would make my life much easier as I'd love to there on Saturday, and visit the Crystal Caves.  As it stands, I will just take the ferry to Hamilton and then a bus or taxi.  Fingers crossed!

Anyway, thank you so much for your responses to me and everyone else.  I have been reading as many old posts as I can to get ideas.  🙂   Have a nice day!

1 hour ago, zestyzorra said:

You are correct, he does prefer the front seat.  I didn't even think about that for the minibus, so that is a great idea.  Thank you!  

I am also not thrilled with the ship dates in Bermuda, but I am just focusing on the positive, which is that I get to go at all!  I wish Celebrity had a free ferry to St. George like NCL, it would make my life much easier as I'd love to there on Saturday, and visit the Crystal Caves.  As it stands, I will just take the ferry to Hamilton and then a bus or taxi.  Fingers crossed!

Anyway, thank you so much for your responses to me and everyone else.  I have been reading as many old posts as I can to get ideas.  🙂   Have a nice day!

We always buy the travel pass when we go to Bermuda. It gives you unlimited transportation while you are there. I recommend taking the ferry directly to St George using the travel  pass. It is much quicker than the bus a very nice ride.

6 minutes ago, mjthecruiser said:

We always buy the travel pass when we go to Bermuda. It gives you unlimited transportation while you are there. I recommend taking the ferry directly to St George using the travel  pass. It is much quicker than the bus a very nice ride.

I wish I could!  Sadly, we will be there on Saturday and Sunday, with no ferry service directly to St. George. 😞

6 minutes ago, mjthecruiser said:

I don't buy the transportation pass anymore. I stopped several years ago when the Minibus shuttles became the best way to get to Horseshoe Bay. They go to the bottem of the hill. The unlimited transportation prices out to more than tokens for me.  You can use tokens for the ferry. It really depends on what you plan to do whether he transportation pass makes sense.  In any case OP will be there on the weekend when there is no ferry service to St. Georges. 

• Like 1