What are the benefits of using the popup restaurants on QM2

fizzy1

Does the Kings Court offer a selection of world foods eg, indian , asian, italian etc in  their evening buffet? If so, what are the benefits of paying to use the popup restaurants apart from waiter service?  

These restaurants feature food that is not available in the Britannia or the Grills. Indian, Asian, Latin American, etc. They just add variety to the dining scene. Go to The FAQ section toward to top of this forum, and follow the link. They have sample menu's to tell you about the food. 

Edited by Bigmike911
sp

Aside from the special items on the menu as BigMike911 mentions above, the experience is a sit down restaurant with with tablecloths and excellent service.

We did Coriander (Indian) two years ago and Bamboo (Asian) tonight. Both times the experience has been exceptional. I highly recommend them.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, T5LHR said:

Is it the same price as Verandah to eat at the Kings Court evening table service places? 

No, $19.50 as opposed to $39, I think. And every pop up meal I've had has been lavish and enjoyable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

No, $19.50 as opposed to $39, I think. And every pop up meal I've had has been lavish and enjoyable.

Brilliant, thank you very much! 🙂

3 hours ago, T5LHR said:

Is it the same price as Verandah to eat at the Kings Court evening table service places? 

No, however,  many Diamond guests are able to exchange their 'complimentary Verandah lunch voucher' for a visit to the Lido/KC alternative dining.   

Agreed that the Coriander meal on all Three queens (for Vegetarians in our case) is outstanding! possibly the finest Indian meal you will find with good choices of beer or wines to go with it. I noticed that several officers used this alternative dining with partners on Queen Victoria last year.

36 minutes ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

Agreed that the Coriander meal on all Three queens (for Vegetarians in our case) is outstanding! possibly the finest Indian meal you will find with good choices of beer or wines to go with it. I noticed that several officers used this alternative dining with partners on Queen Victoria last year.

Captain Hashmi himself was there with his party when we dined last summer.

We tried the Smokehouse speciality restaurant on our last QM2 crossing and it was quite good.   Surprisingly,  the only negative for us was that the serving sizes were far too large.

It is an amazing transformation from the noisy, bustling buffet to a quiet, softly lit, restaurant with candles on the tables.   

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BobBranst said:

We tried the Smokehouse speciality restaurant on our last QM2 crossing and it was quite good.   Surprisingly,  the only negative for us was that the serving sizes were far too large.

It is an amazing transformation from the noisy, bustling buffet to a quiet, softly lit, restaurant with candles on the tables.   

On our last voyage, in La Piazza, my spouse and I had to share the dessert, because the first two courses had been so large. Rather a shame as it was all delicious.

10 minutes ago, BobBranst said:

Sorry, I don't remember if it was an actual flame or flameless battery type.   Either way, it added to the ambience of the table.

I have just bought some of the battery candles .Only £7.50 for 24!! Going to take some for our stateroom . I have to say they look gorgeous ! They are a soft creamy white with a very slight flicker . 

We love the pop-up venues, especially Bamboo and Coriander.  The special menus feature lots of little bites, creative and very different than the food in Kings Court or Britannia.  The restaurant set-up is lovely and quiet, although you are still in a section of Kings Court and if you look over to the side, you can see the milk machine, so vestiges of the high school cafeteria are lurking.  We have to ask for special spice as the standard fare is a bit bland for Asian cuisine, and sometimes we get it (happily), and sometimes not so much.  We keep coming back.  One of my favorite features on Cunard.

5 hours ago, tv24 said:

We love the pop-up venues, especially Bamboo and Coriander.  The special menus feature lots of little bites, creative and very different than the food in Kings Court or Britannia.  The restaurant set-up is lovely and quiet, although you are still in a section of Kings Court and if you look over to the side, you can see the milk machine, so vestiges of the high school cafeteria are lurking.  We have to ask for special spice as the standard fare is a bit bland for Asian cuisine, and sometimes we get it (happily), and sometimes not so much.  We keep coming back.  One of my favorite features on Cunard.

Was wondering about the spice level in Coriander . Thank’s for that info . Will ask

3 hours ago, fizzy1 said:

Was wondering about the spice level in Coriander . Thank’s for that info . Will ask

The normal spice level is quite modest.  If you ask, the chef might be willing to ramp it up, but not always.  They also might bring out some chili flakes or sambal for you to DIY.

Thanks xx

4 minutes ago, tv24 said:

The normal spice level is quite modest.  If you ask, the chef might be willing to ramp it up, but not always.  They also might bring out some chili flakes or sambal for you to DIY.

Thanks xxx

Edited by fizzy1

I'd like to put in a plug for the Chef's Galley in the evening. It serves a variety of pastas... I think there were 5 or 6 styles of pasta made on board and 4 or 5 sauces, along with garlic bread. Ceasar salads are available as a starter. All three of us raved about our dishes. It's white table cloth, with waiter service, but no surcharge. I'm sorry it took so long for us to have tried it. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

I'd like to put in a plug for the Chef's Galley in the evening. It serves a variety of pastas... I think there were 5 or 6 styles of pasta made on board and 4 or 5 sauces, along with garlic bread. Ceasar salads are available as a starter. All three of us raved about our dishes. It's white table cloth, with waiter service, but no surcharge. I'm sorry it took so long for us to have tried it. 

We have never tried it either. Do you need to book?

1 hour ago, cruiseluvva said:

We have never tried it either. Do you need to book?

No need to book the Chef's Galley on QM2 for the evening pizza and pasta station table service, nor is it even possible to book as far as I know.

• Like 1