What are the benefits of using the popup restaurants on QM2

fizzy1

By the way, here are photos of the menu for the Chef's Galley evening pizza and pasta station I took a couple months ago.

20190424_190954.thumb.jpg.733d738723f974a957acea2dadd670a5.jpg

20190424_191007.thumb.jpg.e499971998a936b2e77d37e0a1c27b58.jpg

Also, this is considered a casual venue. The dress code does not apply in this area of the Kings Court unlike the alternative dining venue with a cover charge where the dress code does apply.

2 hours ago, cruiseluvva said:

We have never tried it either. Do you need to book?

No need to book. And if our evening was typical, there were only 2 tables in use. It's a shame it appeared to be so underused. Having enjoyed it so much I'd not want to see it discontinued. 

3 hours ago, frankp01 said:

I'd like to put in a plug for the Chef's Galley in the evening. It serves a variety of pastas... I think there were 5 or 6 styles of pasta made on board and 4 or 5 sauces, along with garlic bread. Ceasar salads are available as a starter. All three of us raved about our dishes. It's white table cloth, with waiter service, but no surcharge. I'm sorry it took so long for us to have tried it. 

Is this on the QM2? I don't know about this !! I assume its Kings Court? Is it an area that is set up every night?

Yes, it's part of king's court, every night. It's at one end, off by itself. It's even has a little Chef's Galley sign. 

One of these times I'm going to draw myself a map of kings Court, showing the gluten free section, the Chef's Galley, and the reception desk and wing of the restaurant that becomes the specialty restaurant.

12 minutes ago, fizzy1 said:

Is this on the QM2? I don't know about this !! I assume its Kings Court? Is it an area that is set up every night?

Just to expand on what frankp01 has mentioned, the Chef's Galley is located at the far aft end of the Kings Court on the starboard side. Basically opposite the alternative dining venue which is located aft on the port side.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, frankp01 said:

It's a shame it appeared to be so underused.

1 hour ago, fizzy1 said:

Is this on the QM2? I don't know about this !!

I think I see a connection 🙂

i know the space but like others I wasn't aware that it was being well-utilized inn the evening. I had dinner in the buffet area for the first time a couple of weeks ago and would have tried this had I known.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

I think I see a connection 🙂

i know the space but like others I wasn't aware that it was being well-utilized inn the evening. I had dinner in the buffet area for the first time a couple of weeks ago and would have tried this had I known.

Yeah, it's just listed as the "Chef's Galley: Pizza & Pasta Station" in the daily programmes. One would think it's merely a self-service area of the Kings Court buffet as it is during the day. It took us quite a while to figure out it actually offers table service with ordering off a menu during the evenings.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just off the QM2 last Sunday.

The alternative dining as noted above is THE best dining experience on a cruise ship/ocean liner since we have sailed in 1989.

The food quality, taste, quantity, presentation is 10/10 and the service, blows Oceania, for example, out of the water. 

It was so good we wrote a letter to the Hotel Manager and the Food and Beverage manager to tell them to market this offering more, got a lovely response back.

There were numerous Grill passengers eating there. In talking, they will not book the Grills again (too heavy) and they will do an in hull balcony and do the alternative dining combined with the MDR, saving many thousand $'s.

Hey Cunard, you have a dining experience that beats the speciality dining on all lines, make it happen more!

9 hours ago, frankp01 said:

I'd like to put in a plug for the Chef's Galley in the evening. It serves a variety of pastas... I think there were 5 or 6 styles of pasta made on board and 4 or 5 sauces, along with garlic bread. Ceasar salads are available as a starter. All three of us raved about our dishes. It's white table cloth, with waiter service, but no surcharge. I'm sorry it took so long for us to have tried it. 

We only discovered this towards the end of our trip on QM2 in March.  We were booking a table for the alternative restaurant and spotted table cloths on the tables and asked if they were an over spill for the alternative dining.  They advised that it was the pasta and pizza restaurant and in the evening it is waiter service with no cover charge.  When we went there the tables were nearly all occupied.  I believe it may be a recent addition to the dining options for evenings as we have never come across it before when on QM2.  We will definitely be going again when on QM2 in a weeks' time.  

3 minutes ago, PRIORY ROAD said:

We only discovered this towards the end of our trip on QM2 in March.  We were booking a table for the alternative restaurant and spotted table cloths on the tables and asked if they were an over spill for the alternative dining.  They advised that it was the pasta and pizza restaurant and in the evening it is waiter service with no cover charge.  When we went there the tables were nearly all occupied.  I believe it may be a recent addition to the dining options for evenings as we have never come across it before when on QM2.  We will definitely be going again when on QM2 in a weeks' time.  

Back in 2010 the Chef's Gallery was used in the evenings as a demonstration kitchen. Reservations were required, but no surcharge. As I recall, only about 20 diners could be seated. [The Kings Court specialty dining had either a minimal or no surcharge]

The chefs explained ingredient selection, menu planning and several prep stations had overhead view on tv screens. This was interactive due to the intimate setting. Despite the entree being described as a 'Canyon Ranch' special, a very rich cream sauce was featured 🙂

The Pasta and Pizza section is well used by staff in the evenings too.  We used it a couple of times on our last cruise it can be very popular and some passengers were taking their food out into the Kings Court.

The alternate dining are well worth the extra charge for the ambience and they even cater for special diets. A menu will be sent your your stateroom the previous day for your choices to be made.