QM2 - New York flight question

Britcruiser81

Hi. We are booked on the QM2 transatlantic- 15-22 Dec. When we arrive in New York, our flight that evening is at 6.20pm from JFK (booked with Cunard). Can anyone tell me what they ‘do’ with you that day as I assume they want you off the ship early. Any info/advice would be great. Thank you 

We have been in this position a couple of times  . Cunard will shuttle you direct to the airport but that’s it . All offered tours are for people on a return  journey straight back . You could always do your own thing but you will be lugging luggage around. I do stand corrected though .  

15 minutes ago, fizzy1 said:

We have been in this position a couple of times  . Cunard will shuttle you direct to the airport but that’s it . All offered tours are for people on a return  journey straight back . You could always do your own thing but you will be lugging luggage around. I do stand corrected though .  

Interesting. They did that to us in 2001! We complained vociferously when we got home. They apologised, said it was a mistake, we were meant to be given a tour, and gave us a voucher for a negligible amount of our next voyage. We haven't been in that position since, but now, lo and behold, they are still doing it. 

I understood that Cunard had an option for a day tour of New York (your luggage is stored under the bus) with drop-off at the airport around 3 PM. Perhaps this isn't the standard option if airport transfer is included in your fare, but it has been offered as a bookable excursion.

I don't have personal experience as I live within a few hours drive of New York.

I have heard from a number of people who debarked in NY after a T/A - mentioning such a tour. I do not recall if they booked pre-cruise or on board.

It would be foolish of Cunard not to provide such a service - they must  regularly have many west-bound T/A  passengers who want to catch an evening/night flight back to the UK.

45 minutes ago, imacruizer said:

What is the cost of a Cunard transfer from Red Hook in Brooklyn to LaGuardia airport at the end of a cruise?  Have you purchased a transfer onboard?  Were you pleased with the service?

The Cunard post-cruise coach transfer from the Brooklyn cruise terminal to LaGuardia airport costs $40 per person if booked in advance and $49 if booked on board.

We have used that coach transfer on several occasions. Because of ongoing construction at LaGuardia, the service has not been all that great lately. A year ago, the coach only dropped off passengers at terminal B and at the arrivals level rather than the departures level. Earlier this year, the coach was only able to drop off at terminal C arrivals (cars where allowed to drop off at terminal B but coaches were not). In both cases, passengers with flights departing from other terminals were on their own to use the airport's shuttles to get where they needed to be.

Edited by bluemarble

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

The Cunard post-cruise coach transfer from the Brooklyn cruise terminal to LaGuardia airport costs $40 per person if booked in advance and $49 if booked on board.

We have used that coach transfer on several occasions. Because of ongoing construction at LaGuardia, the service has not been all that great lately. A year ago, the coach only dropped off passengers at terminal B and at the arrivals level rather than the departures level. Earlier this year, the coach was only able to drop off at terminal C arrivals (cars where allowed to drop off at terminal B but coaches were not). In both cases, passengers with flights departing from other terminals were on their own to use the airport's shuttles to get where they needed to be.

Thanks so much Bluemarble.  This is very helpful information.  We have always used a car service to get to LaGuardia.  Because we have a large amount of OBC, we were considering the Cunard transfer.   The spa may be calling my name!!😁