Went from Balcony to GTY???

I just checked my Royal account for my upcoming cruise on the Oasis in Feb 2020.  I had booked a balcony and saw that my stateroom had now been changed to GTY??  I called Royal and the lady told me that due to the Oasis going for a refurb in Nov, that our cabin got bumped, so they had to move us to a GTY.  I was told that "they" were looking at re assigning me to another cabin.  *****???   I had specifically booked this balcony due to it's location, etc.   Now I don't know where I will be.   Does anyone have any thoughts on this or have had the same experience?

Thanks....JD

4 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Look in your cruise contract....😜

Where do I find the cruise contract under my Royal sign in account?   I can't find it.

Just now, Yoggi said:

Where do I find the cruise contract under my Royal sign in account?   I can't find it.

I wouldn't waste your time. It will just say that they can change your cabin. It doesn't answer your question. 

PS if you really want to read it

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/cruise-ticket-contract.pdf

Same happen to me for this December cruise. I called, and was told I could pick another cabin, which I did. But I was also informed it could happen again with my new cabin assignment. I was also inform my original cabin was assigned to another party.

9 minutes ago, Luke104 said:

Same happen to me for this December cruise. I called, and was told I could pick another cabin, which I did. But I was also informed it could happen again with my new cabin assignment. I was also inform my original cabin was assigned to another party.

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.  I'v trid to call Royal 3 times and was told I have to go through my travel agent to resolve th problem.....but royal had no problem booting us out of our cabin....

Edited by Yoggi

6 minutes ago, Yoggi said:

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.  I'v trid to call Royal 3 times and was told I have to go through my travel agent to resolve th problem.....but royal had no problem booting us out of our cabin....

Not BS. If you use a travel agent, you have to go thru them for changes to your reservation.  And presumably they TA should have notified you of the change, but that assumes that Royal told them about it.

Why don't you just call your TA and ask them to change your cabin?

And would it have been better if they'd just changed your cabin and not moved you to a GTY? Also, someone suggested that some cabin capacities had changed. Is that your situation? If it is, then I'm not sure what you would have expected them to do.

Edited by MisterBill99

3 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Not BS. If you use a travel agent, you have to go thru them for changes to your reservation.  And presumably they TA should have notified you of the change, but that assumes that Royal told them about it.

And would it have been better if they'd just changed your cabin and not moved you to a GTY? Also, someone suggested that some cabin capacities had changed. Is that your situation? If it is, then I'm not sure what you would have expected them to do.

I wasn't notified by anyone.  I found out by logging in to my Royal account and noticing that it had been changed from my original to a GTY room.  I will have to wait until Monday to contact my TA.  Hopefully I don't get screwed on a decent room.

10 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

I don't believe you have any idea on what is happening. As for myself, I deal directly thru RCL, which NEVER notified me of any changes. I found out by logging into my "planner". And was also told that this may happen to me again. Unless you are the one this is happening to you  REALLY don't have any idea of what is going on!

13 minutes ago, Luke104 said:

I don't believe you have any idea on what is happening. As for myself, I deal directly thru RCL, which NEVER notified me of any changes. I found out by logging into my "planner". And was also told that this may happen to me again. Unless you are the one this is happening to you  REALLY don't have any idea of what is going on!

What the hell ar you talking about?  This is happning to me.  That's why I'm pissed.  I paid for the room I wanted, and now I'm being kicked out and do not know where I will land.  There better be a refund or something....

9 minutes ago, Yoggi said:

What the hell ar you talking about?  This is happning to me.  That's why I'm pissed.  I paid for the room I wanted, and now I'm being kicked out and do not know where I will land.  There better be a refund or something....

My reply was intended for "MisterBill99". I'm going thru the same, sorry! If you look at the quote, it was back to him!

Edited by Luke104

You are not the only ones this is happening to. There is another thread detailing the same issues on Oasis.

Bottom line here is poor customer service from RCI.

Yes they have the right to change your cabin but they should have the common courtesy to inform you of the change either directly or through your agent. From the posts I've read, this is not happening.

Edited by icsys
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, icsys said:

You are not the only ones this is happening to. There is another thread detailing the same issues on Oasis.

Bottom line here is poor customer service from RCI.

Yes they have the right to change your cabin but they should have the common courtesy to inform you of the change either directly or through your agent. From the posts I've read, this is not happening.

Some agents did get informed.  I know I did.

1 hour ago, suesnake2002 said:

Gty are cheaper than you pick your room. Would definitely want some major obc. 

He's probably sitting in GTY until they can talk to him on a replacement cabin. Would it be better if they cancelled the reservation and told him to rebook?

Edited by MisterBill99

4 hours ago, Yoggi said:

Calm down. Are there no other cabins in that category that you would find acceptable? Yeah, maybe they could have handled it better but perhaps the real problem is that your travel agent didn't contact you as they were supposed to. Ourusualbeach already said that they were.

Edited by MisterBill99

4 hours ago, Luke104 said:

Sadly, it does happen, and as was pointed out by someone else, they are allowed to per the terms of the contract (which is not an answer I approve of but since you're making a big deal of the possibility of them doing it again, you need to accept the facts).

Did you ask for OBC or some other compensation when you picked your replacement cabin? 

Edited by MisterBill99

3 hours ago, lovecrzn said:

Will RCL allow us to pick a lower category cabin and refund the difference? My cruise is in December.

As long as it is before the cruise final payment date, you can change to any available category and pay the going rate.  If you had already made full payment on the cruise, then you would get a refund if the cost of the new stateroom was less than what you had already paid.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

As long as it is before the cruise final payment date, you can change to any available category and pay the going rate.  If you had already made full payment on the cruise, then you would get a refund if the cost of the new stateroom was less than what you had already paid.

Thanks Bob,!