Voom - how fast is it?

Hi!  I'm looking to get Voom just for surfing, not streaming.  Only need to check email, etc.  Is this going to be slower than getting the streaming package?  Any idea of the speed?  Thank you!!
We had it on Anthem and it was super, duper fast. My son watched YouTube videos all week on his Kindle with no buffering. I played video games all week with no issues at all.
If all you need to do it check email get the cheaper plan which is just surf I think. Voom is pretty incredible, at least on Anthem it was.

1 hour ago, JAMESCC said:

We had it on Anthem and it was super, duper fast. My son watched YouTube videos all week on his Kindle with no buffering. I played video games all week with no issues at all.
If all you need to do it check email get the cheaper plan which is just surf I think. Voom is pretty incredible, at least on Anthem it was.

So you had streaming, not basic then, I'm assuming?  Thanks!!

So you had streaming, not basic then, I'm assuming?  Thanks!!
Yes, I has surf and stream and it was blazingly fast. I was quite surprised actually. There was no buffering and it didn't go out once on our cruise. Quite frankly I thought it was awesome to still be connected to the world via the Internet even out in the middle of the ocean. After that cruise I said I will never be without internet again on a cruise. I used to come back from a cruise with 1,000 emails that I had to go through. No more, I checked as I go just like I do now.

Surf is 0.5 mbps.  Stream is 5.0 mbps

A dial up modem (from the old days) topped out at about 0.06 mbps.

The issue is not the data rate, but the ping time.  And on some ships, this can be over 600 ms.

• Like 1

It will also depend on where you are, what ship you are on etc..  But email is usually not very big and is not dependent on how fast your internet is, you could still use a dial-up connection and get email you would just need to wait 30 minutes for it to download.

21 hours ago, fredflint said:

It will also depend on where you are, what ship you are on etc..  But email is usually not very big and is not dependent on how fast your internet is, you could still use a dial-up connection and get email you would just need to wait 30 minutes for it to download.

I lived for many years on dial up.  Emails do NOT take 30 minutes to download.  Unless people are sending you large pictures or lots of graphics.

I started with a 2400 bps modem. 😄

Also.. speed depends on your device. I checked speed on iphone 8 at my home via wifi and it was 265, at my computer via wifi 56 (250+ if yousing LAN), tablet is about 105.

20 minutes ago, SRF said:

I lived for many years on dial up.  Emails do NOT take 30 minutes to download.  Unless people are sending you large pictures or lots of graphics.

I started with a 2400 bps modem. 😄

Mine was 110 baud, and we were thrilled when it went to 300 and then 1200!

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 8:30 AM, newyorker123 said:

Hi!  I'm looking to get Voom just for surfing, not streaming.  Only need to check email, etc.  Is this going to be slower than getting the streaming package?  Any idea of the speed?  Thank you!!

What ship are you on? Makes a big difference. 

And the O3B ships dont perform well up north

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:
1 hour ago, newyorker123 said:
Thank you everyone!!
I'll be on the Anthem doing a Transatlantic.

Jealous, always wanted to do a transatlantic trip. Have fun!

Just takes a credit card and some free time. 😂😂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cruzrman said:

I’m sailing the Empress in September and would like to know about the Internet. Just need to check emails. 

All you would need is a one-device Surf package.

7 minutes ago, taramsl said:

As far as the one device plan, can you logout of one device and into another device with the same account number? (Is it tied to the reservation or the device?

Yes, no problem.

Access is via login credentials, so any number of different devices will work fine, but only one logged in at a time.

• Like 1