Voom - how fast is it?

1 hour ago, Carolina Girl 99 said:

How's the internet on Mariner looking after being Amp'ed? We have 8 people booked across 4 cabins and I know a few of them are going to ask me about it. Just trying to gather info so we're ready to buy when a sale comes along

I've not seen any reports indicating any difference in the internet service on Mariner.

So completely depends on the ship.  The newer big ships the internet is fast, the older big ships.... um... the older smaller ships the internet is pretty much awful.

It, also, depends where on the planet you are.  Going to Norway, not so good, going to the Bahamas pretty good.

jc

13 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Yep, for a few years pre DSL, ISDN (2x64K) was the best deal

Yeap. we had ISDN for several years before cable internet became available.

I actually did use 300 baud acoustic couplers (where you put the telephone handset in the modem).  But first one I OWNED, was 2400.  

2 hours ago, SRF said:

I actually did use 300 baud acoustic couplers (where you put the telephone handset in the modem).  ...

Yep, we did those too.  Modem connected to a teletype machine.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:30 AM, newyorker123 said:

Hi!  I'm looking to get Voom just for surfing, not streaming.  Only need to check email, etc.  Is this going to be slower than getting the streaming package?  Any idea of the speed?  Thank you!!

If all you need is to check email, than why worry about speed!!!!  I've used VOOM on multiple ships, to read the news, and clear emails etc....and never once worried about speed.  Now if I was watching movies, and working on a laptop for my personal business, and used heavy duty data, yes, I would be concerned!

On 7/8/2019 at 10:31 AM, John&LaLa said:

What ship are you on? Makes a big difference. 

And the O3B ships dont perform well up north

What are O3B ships?

I’m sure I’ll feel stupid when I see the answer!

8 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

What are O3B ships?

I’m sure I’ll feel stupid when I see the answer!

O3b is a faster, lower latency internet service than the legacy geosync service that most ships use.

Looks like it might be owned by SES now:  https://www.ses.com/

I haven’t read all the replies, but it depends on the ship. I never had an issue with surf only but on our cruise to Hawaii in May it was worthless on the Radiance. I couldn’t even read an email. For now on I’m getting surf and stream.

16 hours ago, Carolina Girl 99 said:

How's the internet on Mariner looking after being Amp'ed? We have 8 people booked across 4 cabins and I know a few of them are going to ask me about it. Just trying to gather info so we're ready to buy when a sale comes along

This was my speed test on Mariner April 28 2019.  The ship was docked at Nausau when the test was done. It was probably about 8am.  I was able to stream video at various times of the day.  Other times streaming had serious buffering. After dinner was a lot worse than most other times.  Mornings were best.  I uploaded images to CC no problem, surfed most websites without trouble, checked email and played online chess without a problem. I remember a 30 minuets FaceTime video call that worked without to much trouble on the afternoon just before sailaway on the same day as the test. I toured my grand daughter around the buffet, pool, waterslides, arcade and adventure ocean.  I think it dropped the connection twice in a dead spot or two but we were able to reconnect easily and carry on. I was reasonably satisfied with performance on Mariner.

IMG_2432.PNG

Just now, Tree_skier said:

I wondered about that but wasn't really sure how authenticate the results of the test.

Maybe save a screen shot of one (or more) of the schedules on the app and compare to the Cruise Compass once onboard.

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

This was my speed test on Mariner April 28 2019.  The ship was docked at Nausau when the test was done. It was probably about 8am.  I was able to stream video at various times of the day.  Other times streaming had serious buffering. After dinner was a lot worse than most other times.  Mornings were best.  I uploaded images to CC no problem, surfed most websites without trouble, checked email and played online chess without a problem. I remember a 30 minuets FaceTime video call that worked without to much trouble on the afternoon just before sailaway on the same day as the test. I toured my grand daughter around the buffet, pool, waterslides, arcade and adventure ocean.  I think it dropped the connection twice in a dead spot or two but we were able to reconnect easily and carry on. I was reasonably satisfied with performance on Mariner.

Thanks- just the info I was looking for!

6 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I wondered about that but wasn't really sure how authenticate the results of the test.

If you have an app on a phone which can do a ping or a laptop available, simply ping some web site in the US - for Mariner is should be in the 600+ms range. Or, use an alternate speed testing app.

Edited by Biker19

• 2 weeks later...

best sites I have found for testing speeds are fast.com (netflix) and testmy.net  testmy will show how you compare to other people will the same service or other times.  For fast you need to click "show more info",  testmy is pretty easy to read.

fast.JPG

testmy.JPG

2 minutes ago, fredflint said:

For fast you need to click "show more info",  testmy is pretty easy to read.

That's good but be prepared for some confused folks to think the screen hot you showed was from some ship.

Could have been, first sailed Allure when OB3 was somewhat new and had speeds better than that on some days.

It was down for almost a day when they had to change satellites during the transatlantic and I was like a kid when someone steals their icecream WAAAAAA.  Biggest issue was as usual they were just not willing to tell the truth that it was  still new and they were having issues getting the "beam" locked on the ship, or whatever the issue was.  They should have announced it was going to be down for the day, the cost for the day refunded and then if it came back up early everyone would have been writing about how happy they were and how well it was handled!

1 hour ago, fredflint said:

Could have been, first sailed Allure when OB3 was somewhat new and had speeds better than that on some days.

VOOM Stream has been throttled down to no more than 5Mbps for at least the last two years. True, some ships reported up to 25Mbps in the early days of VOOM but that didn’t last long. 

On Indy in the Med now, and it has been really poor.  With the surf and stream package, streaming is impossible most of the time. 

Indy is an Ob3 ship, but it must be the location. We hav had a ping of almost 800

377A8440-1F47-4511-9F69-8916939503B2.thumb.png.bde978eb63e90904feaedc5d1d15b57e.png

9 hours ago, Biker19 said:

VOOM Stream has been throttled down to no more than 5Mbps for at least the last two years. True, some ships reported up to 25Mbps in the early days of VOOM but that didn’t last long. 

Yes that was the good old days

9 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

First I've heard that Indy had O3b.

I know there was some debate about it on another thread. When we were on Indy in January and had surf only, the Speedtest result listed it as O3b

F43BDF86-8C87-4C5E-ABC6-C905A3A90BA5.png.aead73ae6276a72abd9536ae8db3c468.png

Maybe they switched to the old system, due to our location in the Med.