Just returned from Explorer!

12 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

We had a ball walking around Helsinki - no need to take an excursion!

Agreed. We spent hours near where the ship docked - small harbor area. Had an outdoor craft market; an indoor marker with restaurants/bars, interesting buildings, and a lovely church - It also was  beautiful weather.

On 7/9/2019 at 9:38 AM, bebop bonnie said:

Private tour company in SP was Anastasia Travel.  Excellent from first email communication to hugs goodbye at the end of the second day!

We have also used this company and been very satisfied.

On 7/10/2019 at 10:13 PM, GOARMY said:

As we will board Explorer at Stockholm on August 30th for a BTB which concludes at Southampton on September 23rd--appreciated TS's comments on excursions and Regent hotel accommodations.  

We will, at this point, be at Regent's assigned Stockholm hotel--like for more than a day prior to boarding.  I will try to determine beforehand if our room will be at the compact car; SUV; or Lincoln Limo square footage level.  And, we signed up for that "Helsinki By Sea and Fortress Island" tour.  

This will be our third stop at Helsinki.  We did not do this particular tour on previous occasions.  

So--will carefully record observations as to both of the above experiences, and share while aboard.  

Regards, 

GOARMY!

We loved he fortress island but did it on our own.  You might also check out the White War Museum in Helsinki.  My Marine veteran son decided that we just had to go there, and it was great.

Rachel:  Thanks for the tip.  Did a double-take as to White War.  What first came to mind was the 1915-1918 series of disasters experienced by the Italian Army against Austria-Hungarian (and German, as well) Armies in the mountains north of Trieste.  White snow and miserable conditions.  Horrendous losses by the Italians.  Alas, lessons not-learned before the 1941 "adventure" in Greece; and 1942 defeat(s) in North Africa.  

Then, second thought was The 1939-1940 "Winter War" between the USSR and Finland.  I had forgotten about the 1918 Finnish Civil War, which I assume is the focus of that Museum you visited. 

The Finnish Armed Forces are extremely talented and adaptable to the realities of Winter, or Summer War(s), particularly when the odds, manpower-wise, are not in their favor; but are against the Soviets.  Helsinki is less than 23 miles from St. Petersburg (Leningrad), as our Guides during past visits were quick to point out.   

So much history in such a small space.  

We are, as always, looking forward to another Baltic adventure.  

GOARMY!

On 7/11/2019 at 4:51 AM, flossie009 said:

IMHO it is highly disrespectful to trash a complete department of hard working, conscientious Regent staff based on a few unfortunate experiences.

Destinations personnel have a difficult job juggling the many disparate wants of guests, some of whom can be very difficult to please and/or fail to do advance basic research on the tours they are choosing..

They are also in the front line of receiving complaints, and rants, when something does not go to plan.

A review of CC posts will show there are more plaudits for Destinations staff than complaints.

Flossie, I don’t like to paint people with a broad brush, but I have to agree that in our 10 Regent cruises, we’ve only ever had problems with Destination Services while onboard.  Having said that, though, our last two cruises showed a drastic improvement in that department so I’m sure that Regent is addressing this directly.

And I also realize that many Regent passengers are - dare I say it? - overly demanding?  I’ve seen first-hand how abusive some passengers can be...to the point that I’ve apologized to the DS reps for their boorish behavior.  But knowing how difficult some passengers can be should ensure that Regent makes an effort to staff DS with the most diplomatic people possible.

I just hope that our last two experiences are the start of a trend in improved service there...it was overdue, IMO.

On 7/12/2019 at 4:42 PM, commodore2010 said:

To be honest, There really isn't much to see/do in Helsinki. 

I agree...we’ve much preferred just walking around on our own.  Maybe do a Highlights tour and spend the afternoon on your own...

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I agree...we’ve much preferred just walking around on our own.  Maybe do a Highlights tour and spend the afternoon on your own...

We found Helsinki to be our least favourite Baltic port. The harbour area is pretty, there is the rock church, Sibelius monument, Olympic stadium, all ok ; but compared to Visby, Stockholm, Tallinn, ST PB, Copenhagen it lacks iconic sights is another country ticked off; but if we had missed this port not central to our cruise.

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Flossie, I don’t like to paint people with a broad brush, but I have to agree that in our 10 Regent cruises, we’ve only ever had problems with Destination Services while onboard.  Having said that, though, our last two cruises showed a drastic improvement in that department so I’m sure that Regent is addressing this directly.

And I also realize that many Regent passengers are - dare I say it? - overly demanding?  I’ve seen first-hand how abusive some passengers can be...to the point that I’ve apologized to the DS reps for their boorish behavior.  But knowing how difficult some passengers can be should ensure that Regent makes an effort to staff DS with the most diplomatic people possible.

I just hope that our last two experiences are the start of a trend in improved service there...it was overdue, IMO.

Agree about so much of what you posted here.  FYI - I was responding to Post #15 where the poster had a similar experience with Destination Services as we did (plus we have had issues on many of our cruises with this department).  While I do not like to generalize, this is one department that is consistent (take that any way that you prefer).:classic_cool:

Also agree with the behavior of some Regent guests.  As mentioned, I have intervened on the part of the crew member being treated rudely (even bringing it to the attention of onboard management - just in case the rude passenger complains on their comment card).  When it comes to bad behavior, 99 9/10% of the time it is the passenger is behaving in this manner.  

I really do not understand that behavior (nor do I understand people attacking posters on a personal level on CC).  As my family knows, I am calm about 97% of the time........ but, if someone messes with my family, I'm a fierce lion that could figuratively bite your head off (that goes well with my astrological sign:-)

4 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

We found Helsinki to be our least favourite Baltic port. The harbour area is pretty, there is the rock church, Sibelius monument, Olympic stadium, all ok ; but compared to Visby, Stockholm, Tallinn, ST PB, Copenhagen it lacks iconic sights is another country ticked off; but if we had missed this port not central to our cruise.

Agree, I've only been once , but found Helsinki to be underwhelming. I wouldn't blame Regent for that!

All:  One clarification to my earlier post as to distance between Helsinki and St. Petersburg.  Left out one digit.  No, not-within 16" naval gun range (which 23 miles would just-about account for).  

Should have been stated at 230 miles.  Sorry for the confusion.    

GOARMY!

On 7/14/2019 at 11:55 PM, cruiseluv said:

Agree, I've only been once , but found Helsinki to be underwhelming. I wouldn't blame Regent for that!

On 7/14/2019 at 7:41 PM, GrJ Berkshire said:

On 7/12/2019 at 7:29 PM, Travelcat2 said:

We had a ball walking around Helsinki - no need to take an excursion!

Being a capital city and a well known name Helsinki stays on most itineraries.  I think Riga and Gdansk are far superior places to see than Helsinki. You don't see these two ports often on the basic Baltic Itinerary

On a CPH/ARN cruise either port could fit in nicely. 

Edited by commodore2010
  • Like 1