Dressing up at Specialty Dining First Night of Cruise

The dress code is relaxed on the first night of the cruise.

It isn’t particularly relevant anyway, as Teppenyaki has the same dress code as most other restaurants. Shorts and t shirt would be accepted there on any night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sailaway Pat said:

If we book specialty dining the first night of our cruise are we expected to dress up if we don’t yet have our luggage or is the dress code relaxed?  Thinking of Teppanyaki.

There are only two restaurants where they expect more than shorts and tee shirts any night of the cruise. La Bistro, and one other.

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

The dress code is relaxed on the first night of the cruise.

It isn’t particularly relevant anyway, as Teppenyaki has the same dress code as most other restaurants. Shorts and t shirt would be accepted there on any night.

There is no dress code to relax except in La Bistro.

4 minutes ago, zqvol said:

There is no dress code to relax except in La Bistro.

That's why I said that it wasn't relevant to Teppenyaki anyway, and that shorts would do any night. It's still a fact that the minimal dress code that they do have in some restaurants is relaxed on the first night.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, zqvol said:

There are only two restaurants where they expect more than shorts and tee shirts any night of the cruise. La Bistro, and one other.

It depends on the ship. It is sometimes 3 restaurants (Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, and the Manhattan Room, for ex.).

2 hours ago, Sailaway Pat said:

If we book specialty dining the first night of our cruise are we expected to dress up if we don’t yet have our luggage or is the dress code relaxed?  Thinking of Teppanyaki.

Shorts are allowed in all specialty restaurants for all meals except Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, or Bayamo where gents are asked to wear long pants (dockers, Jeans). 

We have found that on the first night there is no dress code in any restaurant as some people

would not have gotten their luggage yet. The last cruise on the Jade on the first night the hostess

(must have been new) told my husband he couldn't enter LeBistro  because he was wearing shorts.

Before I could respond one of the servers corrected her but I think to save face for the hostess

told us in a very stern voice that for the rest of the cruise please adhere to the dress code.LOL

Edited by Peachypooh

15 hours ago, zqvol said:

Actually, I dined in LeBistro twice in shorts on my most recent Escape cruise last month.

• Like 1

On the first night no one will care.  Go for it!  That's why it's called Freestyle Cruising.

When you get on board check your Freestyle Daily on the first or second day; it will have the dress code for the restaurants for your cruise.  As previous posters have pointed out some ships have different rules for different restaurants.  The only consistent dress code I've noticed on all the NCL ships is Le Bistro.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Before we descend completely into hundreds of reports of individual experiences, it's worth clarifying the situation at Le Bistro, as readers could get confused.

The dress code for Le Bistro requires long trousers. Shorts are not allowed, subject to any relaxation of the dress code on the first night.

If you turn up in shorts then you may get turned away. There are many reports of this happening. However, depending on the individual staff involved, they may let you in. This seems more common on these ships where Le Bistro has a patio area (Breakaway, Getaway, Escape). You are still not meeting the official dress code though, so can't really complain if you are refused entry.

Not that this matters too much with regard to this thread, as they are talking about Teppanyaki anyway.

18 hours ago, Sailaway Pat said:

Teppanyaki does not have suggested dress code.  Only Ocean Blue and Le Bistro does.  Ocean Blue and Le Bistro suggest men to have a collared shirt.  However - Slippers, Shorts, Sandos, Swimming Attires are not allowed during dinner time in any restaurants including the MDR except in the buffet. 

16 minutes ago, neilmae_ko said:

Teppanyaki does not have suggested dress code.  Only Ocean Blue and Le Bistro does.  Ocean Blue and Le Bistro suggest men to have a collared shirt.  However - Slippers, Shorts, Sandos, Swimming Attires are not allowed during dinner time in any restaurants including the MDR except in the buffet. 

Shorts are allowed in 2 of the MDR's.  So are sandals, just not flip flops.

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-faq/what-clothes-should-i-pack

12 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

This also varies by ship. On some ships, shorts are allowed in all MDRs.

And some ships only have two MDRs anyway.

Every dress code discussion gets bogged down with posts where people state the specific rules they encountered as if they are universal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Actually, I dined in LeBistro twice in shorts on my most recent Escape cruise last month.

Glad I wasn't the only. Nice shorts and button up shirt and leather sandals, no issue at all, I even checked before hand.