What is the largest size luggage that can fit through the scanner for carryon?

1st4our25th

20, 24, 28 inch?  I purchased new luggage for our upcoming cruise and although it meets Carnival's measurement requirements listed on their site it seems quite large. I ordered online, so I didn't see it beforehand. We were hoping to carry our bags (1 each) on the ship with us since we purchased FTTF so we can unpack after we board and get that out of the way.

Edited by 1st4our25th
ETA: We are driving to the port, so no flight involved.

The scanners are the same size as at the airport.  If your luggage will go through TSA security, it will go through at port.  Any larger than that -- check it with the porters beforehand.

1 minute ago, mdsgu said:

The scanners are the same size as at the airport.  If your luggage will go through TSA security, it will go through at port.  Any larger than that -- check it with the porters beforehand.

Thank you for your reply. We have never flown and will be driving to the port, so I have no idea about TSA security. I bought the 28" case and it's measurements do fall within the Carnival guidelines. I just wasn't sure if those guidelines were for the scanners as well as checked bags.

Don't worry about the size! Worry about whether or not you can easily handle the bag when it is fully packed! You have to be able to lift it onto the scanner yourself and manage it getting onto the ship.

I have never used a 28inch bag so don't know how heavy it might be when packed?

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

I have never used a 28inch bag so don't know how heavy it might be when packed?

Me either. Since they are so large I honestly think that one bag would be enough for both of us, but then it probably would be too heavy. I can't imagine filling an entire suitcase myself, but I guess that would leave extra room for whatever we might buy while away.

(Checked & Carry-on Luggage) 

Lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked. Oversized luggage and locked luggage may cause delivery delays.

Luggage info below and @: https://www.carnival.com/help/1373

Pics-Art-07-09-12-26-44.png

☺️

• Like 1

I think it's fine if you can lift it into your car or trunk to get to the port.  If you need help with that, you should give it to the porter.  As others have mentioned, the height listed when you buy a suitcase as 25", 26" or 28" is the "length" as described by carnival so it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

At most ports, you will have to go up an escalator to board the ship.  Look for an elevator because lugging a large suitcase up an escalator is a trick to say the least.. 

Ugh! Yeah, definitely don't want to try lugging a suitcase up an escalator. It probably wouldn't work out for me. 

Anyone know if the port in Charleston, SC has an escalator? I do not remember one from the vlogs I've seen, but they don't always show everything. 

We both carry-on large suitcases. Either 30 or 32. It's not a problem, just look at the dimensions. And you may have to insist with the porters. They will insist it has to be checked, but do your homework and as long as you can handle it and it can pass through the scanners, you'll be fine. It can be a pain when you get on board, if you're on a higher level. A tip I saw on here was to go up a level and then hit the down button, you'll be the first on and then just ride it back up.

• Like 1