Questions regarding power strip and corkscrew!

RDDAILY

Hi everyone!  We will be sailing on the Magic from Port Everglades in a couple of weeks (can't wait)!!  I had a couple of questions.  First, thanks to all of the great suggestions on this board, I bought a non-surge protected power strip for the room.  Can I bring it in my carry on, or does it have to be in the checked luggage?  Second, my husband and I plan on bringing a bottle of wine on board to enjoy on our balcony.  Can I bring a corkscrew, and if so, do I put in in the carry on or in the checked luggage?  If not, will our room steward provide one?  Thanks!

You can bring both in your carry on or checked bag.  I would recommend carry on, especially for the power strip, just in case there are questions about it.  If you elect to not bring a corkscrew for your wine, your room steward can provide one.

The power strip can be in either your checked or carry-on luggage, your choice.  I don't know if Room Stewards still supply corkscrews.  They used to, and also you could request one from Room Service, but again, I don't know if that is still the case.  I always take my corkscrew in my carry-on.  Have a great cruise! 

16 minutes ago, Chief93 said:

If you are flying to the port you can not have a waiter's corkscrew in your carryon.  Its the kind with the small blade for removing the foil.

This is true.  Corkscrew, toiletries etc are all part of our "carry on shuffle" the night before the cruise after flying in the day before!

For clarification, when I referred to checked and carry-on luggage in my answer, I was only speaking of cruise luggage, not flight luggage.  Also, I  am guessing the OP is not flying to Port Everglades since they live in Miami (29 miles away), but, like all assumptions, that could prove wrong.

Just got back from a cruise on the Breeze on 06/29.  I brought both a non-surge protected power strip and a corkscrew for the wine we brought.  Put both the non-surge protected power strip and a corkscrew in my checked bags and went through with no issues.

Have a great cruise!

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:57 AM, Cruiseman38 said:

Just got back from a cruise on the Breeze on 06/29.  I brought both a non-surge protected power strip and a corkscrew for the wine we brought.  Put both the non-surge protected power strip and a corkscrew in my checked bags and went through with no issues.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks!

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:44 AM, ShakyBeef said:

For clarification, when I referred to checked and carry-on luggage in my answer, I was only speaking of cruise luggage, not flight luggage.  Also, I  am guessing the OP is not flying to Port Everglades since they live in Miami (29 miles away), but, like all assumptions, that could prove wrong.

You are correct ShakyBeef!  We will be driving to port.  Once of the advantages of living in Miami is being close to Port of Miami and Port Everglades.  The disadvantage is having to put up with Miami traffic :classic_wink:

Thanks again to everyone for the great advice.  Two more weeks to go!! 

• Like 1

I’m not a huge wine drinker, but I still will take my allowed bottle. Luckily for me, not being a wine connoisseur, I have found some pretty good Pinot Grig and Noir’s with screw tops. I’m not the best with a simple corkscrew. I need the big contraption that weighs 5lbs...LOL

On 7/10/2019 at 9:04 AM, K&RCurt said:

This is true.  Corkscrew, toiletries etc are all part of our "carry on shuffle" the night before the cruise after flying in the day before!

This is not true, from the TSA Website: We always travel with a corkscrew, never a question

Corkscrews (with blade)

• Carry On Bags: No
  • Checked Bags: Yes

10 minutes ago, coevan said:

This is not true, from the TSA Website: We always travel with a corkscrew, never a question

Corkscrews (with blade)

• Carry On Bags: No
  • Checked Bags: Yes

The data you posted from the TSA proved it IS true, you CAN NOT bring this on the plane in a carry on.  Hence you need to do the "carry on shuffle" of moving things you want immediate access to in your cabin from the bag you checked on the plane to the bag you carry on the cruise.

Very odd that you create a post contradicting my statement and proving it correct at the same time.

Edited by K&RCurt

On 7/10/2019 at 8:49 AM, RDDAILY said:

Hi everyone!  We will be sailing on the Magic from Port Everglades in a couple of weeks (can't wait)!!  I had a couple of questions.  First, thanks to all of the great suggestions on this board, I bought a non-surge protected power strip for the room.  Can I bring it in my carry on, or does it have to be in the checked luggage?  Second, my husband and I plan on bringing a bottle of wine on board to enjoy on our balcony.  Can I bring a corkscrew, and if so, do I put in in the carry on or in the checked luggage?  If not, will our room steward provide one?  Thanks!

I'll just throw this out there in case you didn't already know. You can actually take your own bottle of wine to dinner in the MDR with you, but Carnival policy is to charge a $15 "corkage fee" for every bottle you take. This isn't a fee to simply open the bottle, you can do that yourself before you get there. It's actually a fee charged for bottles of wine in the MDR that weren't purchased through Carnival. Now, there's one user who will always claim that this isn't true because they open their bottle beforehand and they, supposedly, have never been charged this fee. It's true that waiters have sometimes been known not to charge the corkage fee, but those instances are the exception, not the rule.

If you'd like to simply take a glass of your own wine to dinner with you, that is fine and no fee will be charged.

I bought my wife an insulated wine carrier that holds two bottles for cruises. I don't drink wine, but we still take "my" bottle in case she wants it. It has a shoulder strap and came with a corkscrew that stored inside the lid. She loves it. There's all kinds of them on Amazon.

1 hour ago, K&RCurt said:

The data you posted from the TSA proved it IS true, you CAN NOT bring this on the plane in a carry on.  Hence you need to do the "carry on shuffle" of moving things you want immediate access to in your cabin from the bag you checked on the plane to the bag you carry on the cruise.

Very odd that you create a post contradicting my statement and proving it correct at the same time.

I stand corrected, however. I have a corkscrew in my Dop Kit and it is carry on and never been questioned.

I took these photos of a cork screw I got on a Carnival cruise years ago, before I saw the post that they no longer provide them.  Let's just say using this to open a stubborn bottle of wine, caused me to either bring my own corkscrew or bring screw top wines.  There are some very nice ones out there.

DSC_0094.JPG

DSC_0095.JPG

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 10:04 AM, K&RCurt said:

Yep, us also! We learned the hard way several years ago that the wine opener in ourchecked bag was useless for that pre-dinner glass of wine we brought because the checked bags arrived after dinner! Yes, the steward will often by available and might be able to get a wine opener, but why take the chance?

Now we take no changes and swap a couple of things from the <airline> checked bags to the <ship> carry on bags: Wine opener, wine, and those antiseptic wipes for a quick cabin once over. Also things like luggage tags if they are not already in the carry on bags. Often will swap around some other items from the shaving/cosmetic kits. We always plan that our checked bags won't show up until the following morning and pack/re-pack accordingly.

• Like 1