Shadowmeboy's Norwegian Dawn Canada/New England Pictorial Review

shadowmeboy

45 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

Did you disembark in Halifax? Where's the rest of the review. 

I am working on it.

5 minutes ago, dtiger said:

I'm enjoying your review and the fantastic photos.  Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Thank you

• Like 1

Our next stop in Halifax after Beavertails was the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.

IMG_0929-L.jpg

IMG_0928-L.jpg

Panorama of a model store the museum has put together. The "Home Depot" for ships!

IMG_0930-L.jpg

Lighthouse light

IMG_0931-L.jpg

IMG_0932-L.jpg

IMG_0933-L.jpg

torpedo tube

IMG_0934%20%282%29-L.jpg

IMG_0935%20%282%29-L.jpg

IMG_0936%20%282%29-L.jpg

IMG_0875-L.jpg

IMG_0876-L.jpg

IMG_0967%20%282%29-L.jpg

The Museum has an excellent display on the Titanic. Halifax was the closest city to the site of the Titanic's sinking. Survivors sailed to New York and the dead came to Halifax. With the dead came a bunch of debris from Titanic.

IMG_0969-L.jpg

a deck chair from Titanic

IMG_0970-L.jpg

Newel post from Titanic - original on the left and a fiberglass cast of the original, that we could touch.

IMG_0971-L.jpg

1st class menu

IMG_0972-L.jpg

2nd class menu

IMG_0973-L.jpg

3rd class menu

IMG_0974-L.jpg

IMG_0975-L.jpg

IMG_0892-L.jpg

IMG_0896-L.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_0976-L.jpg

After the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, we took a taxi to take us around the citadel.

IMG_0977-L.jpg

IMG_0978-L.jpg

IMG_0979%20%282%29-L.jpg

IMG_0980-L.jpg

IMG_0981-L.jpg

Citadel National Historic Park

IMG_0982-L.jpg

Great views of Halifax are available from the Citadel too!

IMG_0983-L.jpg

IMG_0984-L.jpg

IMG_0985-L.jpg

IMG_0986-L.jpg

IMG_0987-L.jpg

IMG_0988-L.jpg

IMG_0989-L.jpg

Back at the cruise terminal. We did some shopping before reboarding the Dawn.

IMG_0990-L.jpg

IMG_0991-L.jpg

IMG_0992-L.jpg

IMG_8718-L.jpg

Found this waiting in the room!

Great review.  Thanks!

Moderno seems to be in a state of flux these days.  They used to have some of the best steak on the ship.

The last couple of times I’ve gone, the quality of the steak, and the quality of the cooking (agree, my last couple of times the bacon wrapped filet was nearly raw) left a whole lot to be desired. Luckily, the salad bar, sausages and chicken were great.

Still, if I had paid for Moderno (either had the SDP or Latitudes perk), I would have requested a refund.

Can’t wait to see/read more.

IMG_8719-L.jpg

Lighthouse on Georges Island National Historic Park

IMG_8720-L.jpg

IMG_8721-L.jpg

Farewell Halifax

IMG_8722-L.jpg

Harbor entrance lighthouse on McNabs Island

IMG_8723-L.jpg

IMG_8724-L.jpg

Treats! yum!

IMG_0993-L.jpg

We went down and purchased our ship model and then made our way to the atrium to purchase our CruiseNext deposits. We ended up booking our June 2021 cruise onboard!

IMG_0994-L.jpg

We headed to Trace and Maria's aft balcony. We ate dinner and hung out in their cabin. The wake of the ship from their stateroom.

IMG_0995-L.jpg

IMG_0996-L.jpg

IMG_0914-L.jpg

Grilled Chicken Burger from O'Sheehans - Matthew

IMG_0915-L.jpg

Beef Chow Fun from Bamboo - Susan

IMG_0916-L.jpg

Potstickers from Bamboo - Susan

IMG_0917-L.jpg

Pizza - Trace; Soup - Maria

We played some LCR and then Susan and I headed back to our stateroom and crashed.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 9:01 AM, graphicguy said:

Great review.  Thanks!

Moderno seems to be in a state of flux these days.  They used to have some of the best steak on the ship.

The last couple of times I’ve gone, the quality of the steak, and the quality of the cooking (agree, my last couple of times the bacon wrapped filet was nearly raw) left a whole lot to be desired. Luckily, the salad bar, sausages and chicken were great.

Still, if I had paid for Moderno (either had the SDP or Latitudes perk), I would have requested a refund.

Can’t wait to see/read more.

We will probably give it another try as we just hit platinum and will get the two extra dinners. 

Thank you

On 7/23/2019 at 3:08 PM, alreadypacked said:

Thanks for the beautiful Halifax photos (puts mine to shame Lol)! We went to the Maritime Museum and Citadel as well--really enjoyed both. Found the Titanic talk at the museum very interesting with many facts we didn't know.

We wish we had time and energy to go inside the citadel, but circumstances being what they were, we were glad to at least see it and the view from up top.

US_CBP_Insp_pg%201-L.jpg

We received our US Customs instructions for the next day in Bar Harbor, Maine.

US_CBP_Insp_pg%202-L.jpg

IMG_8725-L.jpg

Pilot boat coming out to meet us.

IMG_8726-L.jpg

IMG_0997-L.jpg

Susan's breakfast appetizers

IMG_0998-L.jpg

Waffle and bacon

IMG_0999%20%282%29-L.jpg

Steak, eggs, and bacon for me.

IMG_8727-L.jpg

While we waited for priority disembarkation, we saw one of the production shows doing a rehearsal.

Welcome to Saint John, Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick, Canada!

IMG_8728-L.jpg

the tidal situation for today.

1936323-L.jpg

IMG_8729-L.jpg

IMG_8730-L.jpg

IMG_8731-L.jpg

We were renting a car for the day, so Enterprise came and picked us up!

IMG_8732-L.jpg

IMG_8733-L.jpg

After getting the rental car, we headed to reversing falls.

IMG_8734-L.jpg

IMG_8735-L.jpg

IMG_1003-L.jpg

IMG_0934-L.jpg

IMG_0935-L.jpg

We were heading toward low tide.

IMG_0936-L.jpg

IMG_8736-L.jpg

• Like 1

Hi. I saw where you cruised New England/Canada on Dawn leaving out of NY. We will be doing that cruise leaving Aug. 31. We will be in Newport RI the next day, in port 8am-4pm. Can you please tell me how long it takes to tender from the ship to shore? And most importantly, when do you have to be back onboard and when does the last tender leave back to the ship? We want to do an independent tour, a sail on one of the America's Cup boats, and it ends at 2:30. We sure don't want to miss the boat! Thanks in advance for your help.

cruisegil-

You may want to call NCL to confirm all aboard time for Newport. It may be before 4PM. 

Since you are looking at an independent tour,you are smart to check the timing so as not to miss the ship. You may also want to consider if the tour returns you to the tender area or if you have to add transport time at the end of the tour to the tender dock.

Hope this answer is helpful for you.

8 hours ago, cruisegil said:

Hi. I saw where you cruised New England/Canada on Dawn leaving out of NY. We will be doing that cruise leaving Aug. 31. We will be in Newport RI the next day, in port 8am-4pm. Can you please tell me how long it takes to tender from the ship to shore? And most importantly, when do you have to be back onboard and when does the last tender leave back to the ship? We want to do an independent tour, a sail on one of the America's Cup boats, and it ends at 2:30. We sure don't want to miss the boat! Thanks in advance for your help.

53 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

cruisegil-

You may want to call NCL to confirm all aboard time for Newport. It may be before 4PM. 

Since you are looking at an independent tour,you are smart to check the timing so as not to miss the ship. You may also want to consider if the tour returns you to the tender area or if you have to add transport time at the end of the tour to the tender dock.

Hope this answer is helpful for you.

We were in port from 11am to 6pm. Last tender was at 5pm.

Thanks so much for your quick responses! I did contact NCL (after a 45 minute hold!) and they mostly say to just check once we're onboard, which will be too late. The tour is a sail in the harbor and I've contacted them. They say we should be on dry land by 2:40 or earlier so guess we'll hoof it the .4 mile to Perrotti Park for the 3:00 tender boat. Risky I know but I think high chance it's doable, although just barely. I'm sure there are huge lines of passengers waiting to get on the last tender and am guessing as long as you're in line on time, they can't leave you behind. Thanks again so much for your help!!

Actually, I have a few more questions.

1) Is there a way to help ensure one is off the ship (via tender) as early as possible, like a number or color group to get assigned by Guest Services when we first board, or is it just a huge free-for-all bottlenecked at the departure door?

2) If the itinerary states it's in port 8am-4pm, did it probably arrive overnight before 8:00 and passengers can expect to get off soon after 8? Think we could reasonably expect to be on land by 10:00am?

3) When they say the time of the last tender boat (i.e. 3:00pm), is that the boarding time or the time it actually departs the dock to the ship?

Thanks again; much appreciated!

Actually, I have a few more questions.

1) Is there a way to help ensure one is off the ship (via tender) as early as possible, like a number or color group to get assigned by Guest Services when we first board, or is it just a huge free-for-all bottlenecked at the departure door?

2) If the itinerary states it's in port 8am-4pm, did it probably arrive overnight before 8:00 and passengers can expect to get off soon after 8? Think we could reasonably expect to be on land by 10:00am?

3) When they say the time of the last tender boat (i.e. 3:00pm), is that the boarding time or the time it actually departs the dock to the ship?

Thanks again; much appreciated!