Shadowmeboy's Norwegian Dawn Canada/New England Pictorial Review

shadowmeboy

Hey all! Shadowmeboy here! Well we just got back from a Canada/New England Cruise on the Norwegian Dawn out of New York City and of course I took pictures! Do you want me to share them? I thought so!

Let's get this trip aboard the Norwegian Dawn started!

1939290-L.jpg

My wife, Susan, and I, Matthew, love to cruise and do it any chance we can. 

In 2016 we sailed the Norwegian Sun on a Southbound Cruise from Seward, Alaska to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. You can read the review here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2529761

The Norwegian Sun is pictured below in Sitka, AK.

i-K5LXBCp-L.jpg

In June of 2017, We sailed the Norwegian Escape to the Western Caribbean. Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2516206

The Norwegian Escape pictured below in Costa Maya, Mexico.

i-hvhzqXD-L.jpg

In December 2017, We sailed the Norwegian Star to the Mexican Riviera over Christmas. Review: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2581330

The Norwegian Star pictured below in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

DSCF0515-L.jpg

In June 2018, We sailed the Norwegian Jewel Northbound Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada to Seward, Alaska. Review: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2557365-north-to-alaska-shadowmeboys-jewel-shimmering-pictorial-review/

The Norwegian Jewel pictured below in Juneau, AK from the Mount Roberts Tram

IMG_3360-L.jpg

In November 2018, We sailed the Norwegian Bliss on a Eastern Caribbean Cruise out of Miami. Review: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2614687-shadowmeboys-blissful-eastern-caribbean-pictorial-cruise-review/

The Bliss docked in Road Town, Tortola, British Virgin islands

IMG_7013-L.jpg

About us: My wife, Susan, is a school teacher and I work for a grocery store. Susan and I have been married 12 years (June 30th)! Due to her school schedule, we cannot sail as much as we would like. 

We live in the Pacific Northwest, along the Columbia River on the "dry" side of Washington State among the Apple and Cherry Orchards.

washingtonmap-L.jpg

Most of the pictures in this review are taken with my Canon Rebel T5 DSLR, My iPhone 10R, Susan's Samsung Moto G5, or canon g7x.

With this being an odd numbered year, our June cruise is somewhere other than Alaska. We decided we wanted to visit New England and cruise out of New York City. 

We cruised along with Trace and Maria, who we became friends with on the 2017 Norwegian Escape cruise! They were happy to come along as they live in Connecticut, aka no major travel to the ship. We then stayed with them post cruise and explored NYC and the other New England states.

So we chose the Norwegian Dawn!

IMG_1147-L.jpg

The Norwegian Dawn anchored just outside the harbor of Newport, Rhode Island.

Please feel free to ask questions along the way! I will try to answer them as quickly as I can. This review will be very picture heavy, but I love to relive my journeys through my pictures! I hope you enjoy them as well!

- Matthew

• Like 12

Susan had her last day of school on June 7th (Friday). With the cruise departing on June 8th, we were forced to arrive the day of the cruise, which I don't like to do, but we really had no choice.

We got everything packed and loaded into the car!

IMG_8650-L.jpg

Susan is all ready to go!

If you notice the scenery is a little different from past reviews to start, that is because Susan and I bought a house in May. We were still unpacking when we had to leave on the cruise. Thus with work, unpacking, and my leg infection I got at the start of the trip, I have had a slower than usual time getting this review up and going. My apologies.

We were able to create an awesome travel wall, which we are still finishing. Pictured below!

IMG_1480-L.jpg 

IMG_1478-L.jpg

We got on our way and had beautiful weather on our side of the mountains.

IMG_8651-L.jpg

Columbia River - North of Wenatchee, WA

IMG_8652-L.jpg

IMG_8654-L.jpg

IMG_8655-L.jpg

Turtle Rock 

IMG_8656-L.jpg

In Wenatchee, we headed west toward Cashmere and Leavenworth.

IMG_0781-L.jpg

Welcome to Leavenworth!

IMG_8657-L.jpg

Heading toward Stevens Pass on US 2.

Once we got over the pass, it got rainy and windy. Traffic got bad and I was not getting good pictures. 

We headed to my parents place and dropped Theo, our deer-legged Chihuahua  off and our car.

IMG_0724-L.jpg

Theo in his "gansta" outfit!

They drove us to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport for our flight.

IMG_0782-L.jpg

IMG_0783-L.jpg

Once again, rain and lots of traffic.

---

I am going to pause here, since I have an early day tomorrow. Hope you like it so far!

Edited by shadowmeboy
  • Like 7

Fellow Washingtonian here, excited to follow along again, especially since we are doing this cruise next August on the Breakaway.  We are planning a 4-5 day NYC adventure before we cruise.

Also, I had a little laugh about one of your traffic photos... I see cars on the oposite side of the road but it looks like you're the only car on the freeway.  NOT POSSIBLE.. :)

Hooray! I always look forward to your travels with Susan. I also enjoy The Dawn. She's a beauty, has Los Lobos, and you may have gotten Richard as your CD. He is our all-time favorite!

16 hours ago, Von & John said:

Matthew  --  Great Start!  Looking forward to the cruise...

Thank you! Me too. I love reliving them!

13 hours ago, jimbri said:

Great photos.  Always enjoy your reviews!

Thank you!

10 hours ago, LeesaB said:

Yay!  I'm finally joining in at the beginning of one of your reviews!  Looking forward to following along.

Glad to have you aboard!

10 hours ago, Suna said:

Following along ... love your reviews and all the stunning photos

Thank you!

8 hours ago, TPgal said:

Fellow Washingtonian here, excited to follow along again, especially since we are doing this cruise next August on the Breakaway.  We are planning a 4-5 day NYC adventure before we cruise.

Also, I had a little laugh about one of your traffic photos... I see cars on the oposite side of the road but it looks like you're the only car on the freeway.  NOT POSSIBLE.. 🙂

I know the picture doesn't show it well, but I had to have some sort of picture to show between Tumwater Canyon just west of Leavenworth and SeaTac Airport. Plus I was in the back seat of my parents van, so pictures would not have turned out well. They can't all be award winners!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AKR2011 said:

Hooray! I always look forward to your travels with Susan. I also enjoy The Dawn. She's a beauty, has Los Lobos, and you may have gotten Richard as your CD. He is our all-time favorite!

Thank you! We enjoyed the Dawn and have enjoyed her sister the Star on several other occasions. Luz was our CD on this cruise.

7 hours ago, SenatorsFan said:

Great start, Matthew! I'm looking forward to following along on another cruise.

Heather

Glad to have you along for the ride!

7 hours ago, Iworktocruiseandtravel said:

Glad your leg is starting to do better!!!  Can't wait to see everything 🙂

Thank you. It was tough having it wrapped up and not feeling a 100%. I am happy to share!

5 hours ago, kbklcamp said:

So happy for another review and happy for you w buying a house.

Its nice having something of our own. Plus I can do whatever I want to it!

2 hours ago, purpleally said:

I love your reviews and I love Dawn. Happy Dance!

lol! Thank you

2 hours ago, AmyJA said:

joining in.

Glad to have you!

1 hour ago, candigirl41 said:

Can't wait to read more.

Candi

Glad to have you along!

16 minutes ago, HowardK said:

Great pictures and your collection of replica cruise ships is great!

Thanks. We buy a ship model the first time we sail a ship. We designed it with future cruises in mind, knowing 2 out of the next 3 cruises are on ships we haven't sailed yet.

We arrived at SeaTac at about 6:30 pm and went and checked our bags and headed through Security. Our plane to Newark Liberty International Airport was slotted for gate N3. 

As a result, we got to ride the underground train to the North Satellite!

Once out to the N Concourse, we headed for the Alaska Airlines lounge.

IMG_0784-L.jpg

Plane watching!

IMG_0785-L.jpg

Good food!

IMG_0786-L.jpg

We get to go there in January 2021! Matthew's Birthday cruise on the Breakaway to the Western Caribbean!

IMG_0787-L.jpg

Finally, it was time to depart Seattle.

IMG_0789-L.jpg

IMG_0790-L.jpg

IMG_0791-L.jpg

IMG_0792-L.jpg

IMG_0793-L.jpg

IMG_0794-L.jpg

IMG_0795-L.jpg

Goodbye Seattle!

Time-lapse video of the takeoff from Seattle.

Sorry I did not get as much done tonight as I wanted. We had to get some housework done. grrrr. Till tomorrow folks! P.S. the videos are cool!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, shadowmeboy said:

IMG_0786-L.jpg

We get to go there in January 2021! Matthew's Birthday cruise on the Breakaway to the Western Caribbean!

Love NOLA!  I hope you get to spend an extra few days there.  Such an interesting city.