Shadowmeboy's Norwegian Dawn Canada/New England Pictorial Review

shadowmeboy

Great review!

Question about the Uber from EWR -- was there a designated spot you needed to be for Uber pick ups?  What was the approx cost? And are you planning to Uber it back from the Manhattan Cruise port?

20 hours ago, cruisegil said:

Actually, I have a few more questions.

1) Is there a way to help ensure one is off the ship (via tender) as early as possible, like a number or color group to get assigned by Guest Services when we first board, or is it just a huge free-for-all bottlenecked at the departure door?

2) If the itinerary states it's in port 8am-4pm, did it probably arrive overnight before 8:00 and passengers can expect to get off soon after 8? Think we could reasonably expect to be on land by 10:00am?

3) When they say the time of the last tender boat (i.e. 3:00pm), is that the boarding time or the time it actually departs the dock to the ship?

Thanks again; much appreciated!

1. Latitudes status, VIP/suite status, or early tender ticket number

2. the ship will probably be pulling in an hour or two before, they have get tenders in the water, on shore set up, to be ready to disembark passengers by 8. you should be able to get a shore by 10 but I can't guarantee it. see above #1, as they get off first + NCL shore excursions.

3. last tender from the shore is at 3pm due to getting everything back on the ship, ie the reverse of #2.

hope that helps

just to give you an update:

Susan and I left Seattle yesterday and flew to Phoenix. We are on our way to Scentsy Family reunion in Austin, TX. Why Phoenix? Grand Canyon of course! I will try my best to post as much as possible from our cruise as I am away. Time and internet connection will determine the success of that.

IMG_1559-L.jpg

IMG_1564-L.jpg

Mt. Rainier

IMG_1562-L.jpg

IMG_1567-L.jpg

IMG_1569-L.jpg

IMG_1573-L.jpg

IMG_1574-L.jpg

IMG_1576-L.jpg

IMG_1575-L.jpg

Hope you enjoy looking at those!

-Matthew

• Like 6

20 hours ago, xcell said:

Great review!

Question about the Uber from EWR -- was there a designated spot you needed to be for Uber pick ups?  What was the approx cost? And are you planning to Uber it back from the Manhattan Cruise port?

just outside the baggage claim doors but not in the taxi area. it was about 60 (uber xl) at the time we were traveling.

no we did not uber back from the cruise terminal. you will have to watch the review to see what we do!

48 minutes ago, shadowmeboy said:

1. Latitudes status, VIP/suite status, or early tender ticket number

2. the ship will probably be pulling in an hour or two before, they have get tenders in the water, on shore set up, to be ready to disembark passengers by 8. you should be able to get a shore by 10 but I can't guarantee it. see above #1, as they get off first + NCL shore excursions.

3. last tender from the shore is at 3pm due to getting everything back on the ship, ie the reverse of #2.

hope that helps

Thank you SO SO much for the info and details. Your answers are very helpful as we plan. Your reviews are awesome and informative. Thanks for taking the time to help the rest of us try to enjoy our cruises as much as you obviously enjoy yours. Happy traveling!

On 7/24/2019 at 10:19 PM, shadowmeboy said:

US_CBP_Insp_pg%201-L.jpg

We received our US Customs instructions for the next day in Bar Harbor, Maine.

US_CBP_Insp_pg%202-L.jpg

IMG_8725-L.jpg

Pilot boat coming out to meet us.

IMG_8726-L.jpg

IMG_0997-L.jpg

Susan's breakfast appetizers

IMG_0998-L.jpg

Waffle and bacon

IMG_0999%20%282%29-L.jpg

Steak, eggs, and bacon for me.

IMG_8727-L.jpg

While we waited for priority disembarkation, we saw one of the production shows doing a rehearsal.

Loving the review. Thank you. We’re going this September.

the customs in Bar Harbor seems to indicate we’ll need passport, birth certificate, and state drivers license. Is this true? We don’t usually carry BC.

9 minutes ago, fiftyguy said:

Loving the review. Thank you. We’re going this September.

the customs in Bar Harbor seems to indicate we’ll need passport, birth certificate, and state drivers license. Is this true? We don’t usually carry BC.

Read it this way:

required items 

1. Dawn key card 

and

2. Passport

or 

WHTI compliant document (enhanced drivers license; passport card; etc.)

or

drivers license and birth certificate (only on a closed loop itinerary ie leaves and returns to the same port)

hope that helps

On 7/27/2019 at 2:13 PM, cruisegil said:

Thanks so much for your quick responses! I did contact NCL (after a 45 minute hold!) and they mostly say to just check once we're onboard, which will be too late. The tour is a sail in the harbor and I've contacted them. They say we should be on dry land by 2:40 or earlier so guess we'll hoof it the .4 mile to Perrotti Park for the 3:00 tender boat. Risky I know but I think high chance it's doable, although just barely. I'm sure there are huge lines of passengers waiting to get on the last tender and am guessing as long as you're in line on time, they can't leave you behind. Thanks again so much for your help!!

I live in RI and know Newport well. Most of the companies who offer a harbor sail are located very close to Perotti Park where you’ll tender.  It’s a straight and easy walk. 

Loving the review, as I do all your reviews.   As a native New Yorker, raised in NJ - I was very impressed by your identification of the NJ bridges and container ports, especially the Garden State Parkway Driscoll bridge.   Flying into Seattle, doubtful I could identify anything beyond the Space Needle and Mount Rainier and  I certainly couldn't name the bridges!  

Looking forward to the rest of the review.  Enjoy your convention.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 17cruisesnsl said:

Loving the review, as I do all your reviews.   As a native New Yorker, raised in NJ - I was very impressed by your identification of the NJ bridges and container ports, especially the Garden State Parkway Driscoll bridge.   Flying into Seattle, doubtful I could identify anything beyond the Space Needle and Mount Rainier and  I certainly couldn't name the bridges!  

Looking forward to the rest of the review.  Enjoy your convention.  

I try to make it a point to learn more about are looking at. I look at every picture several times, and I want to know more. What is that? Is a question I ask all the time. Therefore, I will use resources like a map to help me identify and know what I am looking at. The old train station at Liberty State Park is a perfect example, I didn't know what it was when the picture was shot. I learn a lot this way. People need to be learning everyday. Plus you never know when you might be on Jeopardy! Just kidding. 

Additionally, I feel this helps you the reader know what you are looking at as well! You are more engaged and it might spur some learning for you!

Thank you!

By the way, we are in Cortez, Colorado tonight. We went to Grand Canyon today along with 4 corners. Mesa Verde National Park tomorrow and the long drive into Texas!

- Matthew

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 30palms said:

I live in RI and know Newport well. Most of the companies who offer a harbor sail are located very close to Perotti Park where you’ll tender.  It’s a straight and easy walk. 

Hello. Nice to get the opinion of someone so familiar with Newport. Thanks! Yes, I saw on Google maps that it was a short walk and that's the only reason my husband will probably risk the sail. Hopefully, it will return to shore on time at 2:30 and he can make the quick walk to Perrotti Park for the last tender boat in time. On another note, as someone familiar with the city, while my husband is on the sail I thought I'd shop around so any good streets/areas you can recommend nearby for neat little shops would be appreciated. I love unique item/shops to the area vs. designer stores (Prada, etc.) Thanks again!

3 hours ago, cruisegil said:

Hello. Nice to get the opinion of someone so familiar with Newport. Thanks! Yes, I saw on Google maps that it was a short walk and that's the only reason my husband will probably risk the sail. Hopefully, it will return to shore on time at 2:30 and he can make the quick walk to Perrotti Park for the last tender boat in time. On another note, as someone familiar with the city, while my husband is on the sail I thought I'd shop around so any good streets/areas you can recommend nearby for neat little shops would be appreciated. I love unique item/shops to the area vs. designer stores (Prada, etc.) Thanks again!

Bowen’s Wharf and Bannister’s Wharf, Brick Marketplace andThames Street are all in walking distance and have great shops.  

1 hour ago, 30palms said:

Bowen’s Wharf and Bannister’s Wharf, Brick Marketplace andThames Street are all in walking distance and have great shops.  

Thank you! I look forward to checking them out.. :)

Great job with telling the story !!  Just wanted to say hi and enjoy your GC ... make sure you find that perfect spot for those sunset photos.  Don't worry about a good internet connection if you are staying inside the park with the lodging ... there isn't any, except maybe with VZW - couldn't get a AT&T, T-Mo or Sprint cellular tower anywhere, until we left the park then.  

Here are some of the ones we took back in 2014 ... offline Google Maps worked for navigation.  

IMG_20141031_091048.jpg

IMG_20141031_091513.jpg

IMG_20141031_110400.jpg

• Like 1

After reversing falls, we headed out to St. Martins.

IMG_8737-L.jpg

driving out there

IMG_8738-L.jpg

IMG_0941-L.jpg

IMG_8740-L.jpg

In St. Martins, the tide was out and the boats were on the harbor seabed

IMG_8741-L.jpg

IMG_8742-L.jpg

IMG_8743-L.jpg

IMG_8744-L.jpg

IMG_8745-L.jpg

local little shops

IMG_1004-L.jpg

IMG_1005-L.jpg

tide is starting to rise

IMG_8746-L.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_8758-L.jpg

We ate lunch at Seaside Restaurant near the Sea Caves

IMG_8766-L.jpg

IMG_0950-L.jpg

what a crew?

IMG_8761-L.jpg

IMG_8762-L.jpg

IMG_8763-L.jpg

IMG_8764-L.jpg

IMG_8765-L.jpg

IMG_1008%20%282%29-L.jpg

Susan got a crab and lobster roll with chowder

IMG_1009%20%282%29-L.jpg

Maria got a lobster roll with chowder

IMG_1010-L.jpg

I got a lobster roll with fries

IMG_1011-L.jpg

Trace got clam strips with poutine fries

IMG_0952-L.jpg

The chowder

IMG_1012-L.jpg

Lemon Meringue Pie

• Like 2

We returned to Saint John and returned to reversing falls. I didn't take any photos the second time. We then went to downtown Saint John and Susan and Maria went into the Saint John city market. Trace and I were pooped and remained in the car. We returned the car and headed back to the ship.

IMG_8767-L.jpg

treats when we got back in the room

1936940-L.jpg

tonights pictures

1937036-L.jpg

1937037-L.jpg

1936945-L.jpg

1937034-L.jpg

1937024-L.jpg

1937030-L.jpg

• Like 3

Trip update:

We are in Lubbock, TX tonight.

We went to Grand Canyon yesterday morning.

IMG_9382-L.jpg

IMG_9397-L.jpg

IMG_9400-L.jpg

IMG_9409-L.jpg

IMG_9429-L.jpg

Afterwards, we traveled from Grand Canyon to Cortez, CO

We had to stop at 4 corners!

IMG_9487-L.jpg

We spent the night last night at Cortez, CO.

Today (Monday) we started our day by visiting Mesa Verde National Park.

IMG_9496-L.jpg

IMG_9499-L.jpg

IMG_9525-L.jpg

Cliff Palace 

IMG_9526-L.jpg

IMG_9528-L.jpg

After Mesa Verde, we traveled to Lubbock, through Durango, Santa Fe, and other small cities and towns.

IMG_9637-L.jpg

We even saw the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile today!

We arrived into Lubbock at about 11pm. We are exhausted. Tomorrow we head to Austin!

To see all the pictures I have taken and uploaded to my smugmug album for this trip visit: https://shadowmeboy.smugmug.com/SFR-trip-2019/

Also, We vlogged this cruise and the videos are posting to my channnel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgkTG1CMMscH4EyqPnKWGfQ

The first vlog posted this morning: 

Edited by shadowmeboy
  • Like 2

IMG_0967-L.jpg

Dinner was just Susan and I tonight at Aqua MDR.

IMG_1013-L.jpg

We both got the Bruschetta

IMG_1014-L.jpg

IMG_1015-L.jpg

I got the Caesar Salad

IMG_1016-L.jpg

Susan got some Asian udon noodle, shrimp. and pepper appetizer. I forgot to take a picture of the menu.

IMG_1017-L.jpg

Shrimp fettucine Alfredo

IMG_1018-L.jpg

classic New York strip steak

IMG_1019-L.jpg

dessert menu

IMG_1022-L.jpg

my dessert. I was protesting due to no warm chocolate lava cake on the menu.

IMG_1023-L.jpg

English Cherry Trifle for Susan

Our waiter disappears. We are trying to find him to give him his thank you bag. He finally comes and we give it to him. We start to get up and the matre'd says you can't leave yet. We say ok. Two minutes later they bring me a surprise.

IMG_1024-L.jpg

My warm chocolate lava cake! Thank you NCL Dawn Aqua team for making my night!

50 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

I love all of your reviews.....you have a way of "making me" book my future cruises. I am always a year or so behind your visits but your photos and reviews always help my planning!!

Thanks and I am glad to help!