Allure Early Dining

I’m on Allure in 2 weeks and our docs say 5:15.  Our next cruise on Harmony in September says 5pm.   Early dining used to be at 6pm but they keep moving it up.  I hope the earlier time doesn’t mean that they’ll let even more passengers stroll in 30+ minutes after dinner starts and still be seated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sellwingri said:

I’m on Allure in 2 weeks and our docs say 5:15.  Our next cruise on Harmony in September says 5pm.   Early dining used to be at 6pm but they keep moving it up.  I hope the earlier time doesn’t mean that they’ll let even more passengers stroll in 30+ minutes after dinner starts and still be seated.

On the compass it states that doors will close at 5:30 and you will not be admitted. 

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

On the compass it states that doors will close at 5:30 and you will not be admitted. 

I'm starting to think that these early traditional times are to help accommodate MTD.  If a traditional table has not been occupied by a certain time, they can use the table for MTD and if they start early enough, that table should be available for late traditional dining.

11 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I'm starting to think that these early traditional times are to help accommodate MTD.  If a traditional table has not been occupied by a certain time, they can use the table for MTD and if they start early enough, that table should be available for late traditional dining.

I hope it would be for a whole unoccupied table.  Having a table for 6 or 8 and one night a couple does not show up do you think they would fill the spots with interlopers. 

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Having a table for 6 or 8 and one night a couple does not show up do you think they would fill the spots with interlopers. 

If an MTD couple wants to sit with others they may place them at such a table. 

• Like 1

Never thought about it being an impact of more MTD.  That’s interesting.  For our upcoming cruise, decided to give myself the planner a break, and just booked early seating.  My parents like to eat early and not a port intensive cruise so thought would be simplest.  I’m ok with early dinner as we usually go somewhere to snack after show, though when really interested in maximizing port time - like late or MTD.  5:15 is going to be a little tight with changing clothes, especially on one of the port days but guess will manage.  Off tangent, I just booked the shows and seems like one or two nights, we end up show free...  so wondering what other entertainment will be available on those nights.  Guess will need to look at old planners.

Just now, JosieRhodes said:

Ps. I thought on Allure, that traditional vs MTD was separated by decks?  No?

Yes, it it, but I've seen them send MTD guests to the traditional deck from time to time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JosieRhodes said:

Never thought about it being an impact of more MTD.  That’s interesting.  ...

That's just a theory of mine, I've not had it confirmed by anyone onboard.

yes, 5:15 is awful early, but i told my family we can have second dinner later in the windjammer...  the menus don't appeal much to us in main, but for some reason, with tradition my family insists that is where we are to eat every night. so i might nibble then head to wj and give it a try

Just now, Host Clarea said:

I think they are trying various methods to reduce the wait time for MTD guests.

Yeah, I have to say it was slightly chaotic one one or two nights of our Anthem cruise in 2016- hopefully they worked that all out by now.  We did that all MTD or whatever they called it at the time as can’t remember now.  The other thing is this upcoming cruise I can tell just tell my college ages kids to show up at this table at 5xx for family dinner.  I know sometimes MTD can be as consistent if book reservation same time each night, but sometimes hiccups😳 with that.

One of the benefits of a set dining time (in my opinion) is that the waiter, who usually has 3 or 4 tables, can keep everything in sync, meaning everyone at each table has appetizers at the same time, main course at the same time, etc.    If you seat MTD guests 30 minutes after set dining starts, there’s no longer that rhythm.  The same is true if they let late arrivals to sit down 30 minutes after dinner has started.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nalatrixie74 said:

yes, 5:15 is awful early, but i told my family we can have second dinner later in the windjammer...  the menus don't appeal much to us in main, but for some reason, with tradition my family insists that is where we are to eat every night. so i might nibble then head to wj and give it a try

We usually do the same thing some nights if can work it in with show schedule  😊.  Actually, I end up really craving the little sandwiches at the various other little meal venues which names escape me right now as haven’t had my morning coffee yet!  Sometimes I find them more appealing than dinner menu.  

Edited by JosieRhodes
  • Like 1

Just now, sellwingri said:

One of the benefits of a set dining time (in my opinion) is that the waiter, who usually has 3 or 4 tables, can keep everything in sync, meaning everyone at each table has appetizers at the same time, main course at the same time, etc.    If you seat MTD guests 30 minutes after set dining starts, there’s no longer that rhythm.  The same is true if they let late arrivals to sit down 30 minutes after dinner has started.    

Tradtional is definitely a more efficient method.  Before MTD, the dining room experience was more relaxed.  Now it seems they  wait staff is constantly rushing.