Bringing friends minor child on cruise

gatorchinsky

We are bringing our son’s friend with us on an upcoming cruise.  I see that NCL has a very detailed form they use but does that form need to be notarized?  Do we need anything else from the parents?  I heard other cruise lines only ask for a notarized letter so I just wanted to make sure I have all the correct information.  Thanks!

You did not tell us the ages of the youngsters and where the cruise is going to ?

What about the Passport - ID requirements ?

Call NCL and find out all the details - some foreign countries could have entrance restrictions.

In any event get all this in WRITING and think seriously about travel insurance !

1 hour ago, gatorchinsky said:

We are bringing our son’s friend with us on an upcoming cruise.  I see that NCL has a very detailed form they use but does that form need to be notarized?  Do we need anything else from the parents?  I heard other cruise lines only ask for a notarized letter so I just wanted to make sure I have all the correct information.  Thanks!

I haven't looked at NCL's form but irregardless of what it says you should have the following items with you:

1. A passport for the child.

2. A letter signed by BOTH parents authorizing you to take the child on the cruise with specifics in the letter including cruise and other transport details. This should be notarized, though it is not an absolute must.

3. A medical power of attorney.

4. Trip insurance for the child.

Personally I would not take the child out of the country withut a passport but if it is a closed loop cruise then a birth certificate issued by the government and a photo ID if the child is 16 or older will work.

Edited by zqvol

Thanks for the responses.  This is a short 3 night closed loop cruise with stops in Key West and Great Stirrup Cay.  My son and his friend will be 16 at time of cruise so he will have Driver’s License.  I’ve been told he doesn’t have a passport but they say they always use birth certificates when they cruise.

On top of the NCL form I will have them sign another letter just in case.

If he gets in an accident and needs to be flown in to Florida for medical help then he would need a passport because the private island in out of the country. I would make sure about all the paperwork you need. Have fun, be safe be kind ,be happy. 👋

2 minutes ago, float said:

If he gets in an accident and needs to be flown in to Florida for medical help then he would need a passport because the private island in out of the country. I would make sure about all the paperwork you need. Have fun, be safe be kind ,be happy. 👋

Does that private island have an airport?