$18 drink pkg follow up

1 hour ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Most have 12 to 15 buckets and about 10 fares per bucket depending on fare restrictions... 🙄

But they DO have predetermined prices and most are even regulated internationally.... they just might not be available for the flight you want... 🙄

Thanks for the airline information. 

24 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I meant to just let those who bought at $18 to opt out, not the rest of you😇

Of course theyvwikl let you opt out, just like they do anything else you purchase in the cruise planner..... Oh and I got it for $18.

Just now, tennislvr8 said:

Of course theyvwikl let you opt out, just like they do anything else you purchase in the cruise planner..... Oh and I got it for $18.

I'm talking about just one, not both

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

If I was lucky enough to get the drink package for $18 I would suck it up ( no pun intended) and pay for the second guest in the room. I'm sure the second guest would drink soft drinks water and coffee or tea if they don't drink alcohol. Fresh orange juice was on the breakast menu for $8.25 so it adds up quickly.

Yep... my mom does not drink much and is the type that is perfectly fine with the drinks that r included.... me, not so much so!  It was a no brainer... bought us both the package for $18 and it was still cheaper then it would have been for just one deluxe package!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Wow that is a lot of people especially instagram and twitter. There must have been legal issues for them to commit to the price because from what I have been reading here they are not very flexible or accommodating when it comes to changes they make to an itinerary. They stick to the cruise contract. 

I don't think it was legal issues at all. Once people got wind that they were planning on not honoring the price. They were attacked, yes the correct word, on the interweb. It was viscious but it worked. It was the bad press and publicity that made them do it. I also believe because it took HOURS and HOURS to get fixed, thst contributed to it too. 

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

JetBlue does this because they will actually tell you how many seats are left  at a particular price as they sell down.

It always seems to be "2 seats left at this price". Then my wife panics b/c she thinks the flight is going to sell out soon. Meanwhile, you look at the seating chart and there are still 30 empty seats.

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

If they are, it's a relatively new addition.

I had the refreshment package on the Anthem in May, and was given cans of soda when I asked for them... and was never charged

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Since the one will have to purchase something.... Yes they will let you opt out of the drink package and purchase the more expensive refreshment package. Why on earth a tone would want to do thst is beyond me. The rules still apply, regardless of price paid. 

Why don't you call them and try it and let us know how it goes? 

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

See, I've been wondering about this as well. For example- 2 in a cabin are both required to buy the Deluxe package even though 1 doesn't want it. After buying the package, it is listed in the order history for both passengers as a separate item, with a cancel button showing. Could you conceivably just cancel the package for ONE passenger through the planner? This might be a good time to test that theory, esp if one bought at the sale price for the sake of buying, but didn't really need or want thepackage in the first place

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SuiteLady said:

I had the refreshment package on the Anthem in May, and was given cans of soda when I asked for them... and was never charged

I know that people have been given cans in the past, but I did not know if this was a fleetwide policy change.

1 hour ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

No... they introduce new fares to each bucket BUT these are pre-determined and have to be submitted internationally to many countries they want to sell tickets in.... so these fares will not change by the minute rather weekly at best ...while the availability of the seats IN that bucket can change within seconds...🙄

But prices also change based on the country you're buying from; try it with a VPN, or even just using a different top level domain (i.e. prices on iberia.com/us and iberia.com/es are not always the same) Code shares can also wildly change the price for the same exact flight depending on which airline you book it through.

I'm not saying your wrong, just that this is the first I'm ever hearing of airlines submitting set in stone prices to some sort of regulating body, and it sounds really weird and counter-intuitive. Do you know what agency they submit pricing too? I'd like to look up more info

15 minutes ago, tennislvr8 said:

Since the one will have to purchase something.... Yes they will let you opt out of the drink package and purchase the more expensive refreshment package. Why on earth a tone would want to do thst is beyond me. The rules still apply, regardless of price paid. 

Why don't you call them and try it and let us know how it goes? 

I will, but we're still 9 months out. 

Edited by John&LaLa

12 minutes ago, Carolina Girl 99 said:

See, I've been wondering about this as well. For example- 2 in a cabin are both required to buy the Deluxe package even though 1 doesn't want it. After buying the package, it is listed in the order history for both passengers as a separate item, with a cancel button showing. Could you conceivably just cancel the package for ONE passenger through the planner? This might be a good time to test that theory, esp if one bought at the sale price for the sake of buying, but didn't really need or want thepackage in the first place

Thank you for understanding the question 

• Like 1

Just now, tennislvr8 said:

Being 9 months out shouldn't matter, you can do it now. 

I know you can, I'm thinking it might be to early to get the answer I'm looking for. 😇

But the question is basically, does Roysl lose money at $18pp? If so, wouldn't it be in their best interest to let my wife totally opt out. 

Inquiring minds want to know

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I know you can, I'm thinking it might be to early to get the answer I'm looking for. 😇

But the question is basically, does Roysl lose money at $18pp? If so, wouldn't it be in their best interest to let my wife totally opt out. 

Inquiring minds want to know

Since the wholesale cost for an adult beverage is around $3-$4 dollars (less if she is a beer drinker) using the standard 300-500% markup, Royal will start losing money around drink #5.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Since the wholesale cost for an adult beverage is around $3-$4 dollars (less if she is a beer drinker) using the standard 300-500% markup, Royal will start losing money around drink #5.

I think the ship's cost per drink is significantly less. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I think the ship's cost per drink is significantly less. 

You're probably right. I was going to suggest $1-$2 per drink but figured I'll keep my estimate on the high side to keep it conservative. Johns wife can probably have 10+ drinks before Royal loses money.

Heck, at my local pub, my $7 beer really cost .85 cents! 😲

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

You're probably right. I was going to suggest $1-$2 per drink but figured I'll keep my estimate on the high side to keep it conservative. Johns wife can probably have 10+ drinks before Royal loses money.

Heck, at my local pub, my $7 beer really cost .85 cents! 😲

I was told by officers onboard less than a dollar for a simple mixed drink.  Their cost for spirits is very low.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

I know that people have been given cans in the past, but I did not know if this was a fleetwide policy change.

Gotcha.... I think it just depends on the server too.... on Anthem I was offered two cans of soda, when I only asked for one!  I find that those at the kiosk’s r more lenient with the rules, IMO