Probably can't do this....

MustangGT

1 hour ago, roxievegas said:

I am thinking of doing a B2B2B in Oct 2020.  

First - Boston to Boston - goes to Canada stops

2nd - Boston to FLL - goes to ABC islands

3rd - FLL to San Diego - stops in Columbia

is this okay ?

Should be as you're visiting "distant foreign ports" which satisfies the requirements for PVSA for embarking and disembarking in different USA ports. 

11 hours ago, roxievegas said:

I am thinking of doing a B2B2B in Oct 2020.  

First - Boston to Boston - goes to Canada stops

2nd - Boston to FLL - goes to ABC islands

3rd - FLL to San Diego - stops in Columbia

is this okay ?

Interesting route.  First cruise is good because it begins and ends in same US port.  Add the second and the itinerary is still good because it hits South America.  Add the third and it is good because it also hits South America.  Princess usually hits both the ABC Islands and Cartagena on a single route because if for some reason they missed Cartagena on your third route everyone on the ship except you would be in violation of the PVSA.  You would not, since you had hit the ABC Islands as part of your itinerary.  Just need one distant foreign port in your entire itinerary and you are good.

People usually have problems because they book a Whittier to Vancouver cruise and then try to extend it to San Francisco or LA.  Not legal.  But if they stay on through the Canal and hit the South American ports it becomes legal.

On 7/14/2019 at 7:06 AM, CruiseVA said:

It's an odd law - I once read an article by a lawyer who said it was incomprehensible - even to a lawyer!

If a lawyer is finding it incomprehensible, I'd say he or she needs to find a new profession.

It actually is quite simple. Thinking only in terms of where you board a ship and where you leave the check (ignoring anything about how the cruise line markets the cruises):

- If you board in a U.S. port and leave in the same U.S. port, you must visit ANY foreign port

- If you board in one U.S. port and leave in a different U.S. port, you must visit a DISTANT foreign port (a distant foreign port being defined as one on a continent other than North America - for this purpose, the ABC islands are considered South America while all other Caribbean islands are considered North America).

- If you either board in a foreign port and/or leave in a foreign port, the PVSA does not apply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lstone19 said:

If a lawyer is finding it incomprehensible, I'd say he or she needs to find a new profession.

It actually is quite simple. Thinking only in terms of where you board a ship and where you leave the check (ignoring anything about how the cruise line markets the cruises):

- If you board in a U.S. port and leave in the same U.S. port, you must visit ANY foreign port

- If you board in one U.S. port and leave in a different U.S. port, you must visit a DISTANT foreign port (a distant foreign port being defined as one on a continent other than North America - for this purpose, the ABC islands are considered South America while all other Caribbean islands are considered North America).

- If you either board in a foreign port and/or leave in a foreign port, the PVSA does not apply.

I agree with your first statement, but as far as the second paragraph goes, this is true only in the narrow context of the cruise industry (fair enough, that's what is being discussed).  There are a few more winding paths when you look at other passenger services other than cruise lines, and other than foreign voyages.

18 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I agree with your first statement, but as far as the second paragraph goes, this is true only in the narrow context of the cruise industry (fair enough, that's what is being discussed).  There are a few more winding paths when you look at other passenger services other than cruise lines, and other than foreign voyages.

Fair enough (and I always give strong consideration to your opinions on maritime matters). But I am fairly certain that 99% of cruisers will never find themselves needing to worry about those "winding paths". Best to keep things simple.