Probably can't do this....

MustangGT

I know I have read about the PVSA but I'm having a Senior Fog Moment! 🙄

Two cruises on the Ruby in May, 2020

Cruise 1 leaves LA and arrives in Vancouver

Cruise 2 leaves Vancouver and ends in Seattle

I'm thinking we cannot do these 2 cruises back to back.

I know there are many PVSA well-versed CC members who can answer this.

Thanks!!

7 minutes ago, MustangGT said:

Thanks!!

Same ship?  Then No.

Must change ships or be off the ship for 24 hours before reboarding.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MustangGT said:

Thanks!!

What makes that B2B itinerary against the law is that it doesn't end in the same US port where it began.  I tried that once where I boarded the Coral Princess in LA for a cruise to Vancouver and wanted to stay aboard for an Alaskan cruise that ended in Whittier, Alaska.  Instead I got off in Vancouver, spent the night and took an Alaska cruise the next day on the Star Princess.

2 hours ago, MustangGT said:

Thanks to everyone!  Truth be told, my husband wouldn't believe me

Tell him to Google " Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886". That's the culprit.

This doesn't affect B2B cruises in Europe, does it? I must admit I thought I had learned all I could on these threads and just learned something new.  I have booked 2- 7 day B2B's (Athens to Barcelona and then Barcelona to Rome - same ship).Would Princess let me book if not kosher?  Or does this rule just in affect when US ports involved?

Pooh

10 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

This doesn't affect B2B cruises in Europe, does it? I must admit I thought I had learned all I could on these threads and just learned something new.  I have booked 2- 7 day B2B's (Athens to Barcelona and then Barcelona to Rome - same ship).Would Princess let me book if not kosher?  Or does this rule just in affect when US ports involved?

Pooh

No only governs trips between two USA ports.

20 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Pooh

No.

2 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Pooh

kosher?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

In 2016 we did a B2B2B on the Island Princess from Fort Lauderdale to LA, from LA to Vancouver, and from Vancouver to Whittier.  The trip was booked as three cruises with three booking numbers, but we stayed in the same cabin throughout.  We went through immigration in LA and Vancouver.

I clearly remember that the original booking was done by the Future Cruise Consultant during a previous cruise.

3 hours ago, R**T said:

In 2016 we did a B2B2B on the Island Princess from Fort Lauderdale to LA, from LA to Vancouver, and from Vancouver to Whittier.  The trip was booked as three cruises with three booking numbers, but we stayed in the same cabin throughout.  We went through immigration in LA and Vancouver.

I clearly remember that the original booking was done by the Future Cruise Consultant during a previous cruise.

Yes, and the Ft. Lauderdale to LA segment visited Cartagena, Colombia, I'm sure.  This is a "distant" foreign port, which is a requirement for a foreign flag ship to transport someone from one US port to another.  Panama Canal transit cruises always call at Cartagena to ensure legality.  "Distant" foreign ports are defined as any port not in North or Central America, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, or Bermuda, the only exception being the "ABC" islands of Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao, which are considered to be in South America.

And it doesn't matter how the cruise is advertised, or sold, or how many booking numbers there are, CBP only looks at where the passenger embarked the ship, and where the passenger "permanently" disembarked the ship to determine where the cruise "started" and where it "ended".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Pooh

PVSA only applies to cruises that start and end in a US port. The rules are stricter if the start and end ports are not the same.

2 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

It's an odd law - I once read an article by a lawyer who said it was incomprehensible - even to a lawyer!

Not incomprehensible at all.  Merely restricts "coastwise" and "inland" water transportation of people to US flag vessels, that have been built in the US, crewed by US citizens, and owned by a US "entity" (person or corporation).  About 80 nations around the world have similar maritime cabotage laws:  Canada, Russia, Brazil, Japan, China, and the EU.

• Like 1

I am thinking of doing a B2B2B in Oct 2020.  

First - Boston to Boston - goes to Canada stops

2nd - Boston to FLL - goes to ABC islands

3rd - FLL to San Diego - stops in Columbia

is this okay ?