Duoro River Lisbon to Porto July 2019

Got2Cruise

Thanks for the great review!!!  It brings back a lot of memories.  We did Viking Douro in 2017 and visited most of the wineries, ports, and places that you did  I thought the Douro was my favorite river out of the 3 we have sailed (Rhine, Bordeaux, Douro).  For those contemplating this cruise -- check out early an October cruise when the weather is not quite as warm.  The vineyards still have foliage on them so the scenery is still spectacular.

• Like 1

Thanks for a great review. When planning your trip did you consider the Uniworld's one-way itinerary: Lisbon to Porto to Barca d' Alva to Madrid or reverse? We did the Douro in 2018 with Vantage and enjoyed the one-way trip: Madrid, Barca d' Alva, Porto, Lisbon (with an optional Madeira add-on). One nice thing was that Salamanca becomes a stop on the Madrid-Barca d' Alva trip rather than an all day out and back from Barca de Alva. 

1 hour ago, FuelScience said:

Thanks for a great review. When planning your trip did you consider the Uniworld's one-way itinerary: Lisbon to Porto to Barca d' Alva to Madrid or reverse? We did the Douro in 2018 with Vantage and enjoyed the one-way trip: Madrid, Barca d' Alva, Porto, Lisbon (with an optional Madeira add-on). One nice thing was that Salamanca becomes a stop on the Madrid-Barca d' Alva trip rather than an all day out and back from Barca de Alva. 

Hi we didn’t consider the Madrid extension because we just traveled there last year. We loved Madrid! I would definitely recommend those who haven’t been to Madrid to look into this extension. 

Got2Cruise-  Thanks for the great write-up.  I did an independent trip to Portugal in April with my oldest daughter and her husband; liked it so much, taking the 2 youngest daughters and wife back in November over Thanksgiving.

Next to Romania, it is the least expensive European country I've traveled to.  People are super friendly, food is good and Ginja is delicious.

JP-  In November, the 2 hour day cruises are still running from Pinhao, and is supposed to cover the most scenic area.  You are going to love the public transportation in Lisbon, it goes everywhere, easy to figure out.  If you get up early, ride the 28 tram from start to finish, very nice when it's just locals heading off for the day.  I think I got on at 0715.  Later on you're packed in pretty good.

Lastly, if you have a chance to overnight in Sintra, I highly recommend it.  We started our trip there, and it was a good first stop to get over jet-lag.  You can rent a little electric car for the day, and the GPS takes you on a guided tour.  Very easy to park them close to Palaces, so you can maximize time on site, or head all the way out to the Atlantic and check out the beach and lighthouse..

• Like 1

Got2Cruise - thank you for your excellent and timely review!  We were just discussing where to go on a 2021 river cruise with my brother and sister-in-law (our river cruising buddies) and I suggested the Duoro which they had never heard of but "we're willing to trust your recommendation."  I'm sending them the link to this review.  All of our river cruises (3) and their's (5) have been on Uniworld and I'm glad to see that they continue to offer a first rate product in Portugal. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Got2Cruise - thank you for your excellent and timely review!  We were just discussing where to go on a 2021 river cruise with my brother and sister-in-law (our river cruising buddies) and I suggested the Duoro which they had never heard of but "we're willing to trust your recommendation."  I'm sending them the link to this review.  All of our river cruises (3) and their's (5) have been on Uniworld and I'm glad to see that they continue to offer a first rate product in Portugal. 

Yes Uniworld treats you very well. Just remember the ship has to be small due to the river and locks. Brand new ship, so it will be great. 

3 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Yes Uniworld treats you very well. Just remember the ship has to be small due to the river and locks. Brand new ship, so it will be great. 

Thanks for the warning - we have no problems with small ships and fewer passengers.  We did our Seine cruise on the old River Baroness which was small (and old at that time).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Fantastic Review!  Thanks so much for posting.  We will be a group of 12 doing the same itinerary late April of 2020 on the new ship.  I've shared your review with them and told them you would be a good source for any questions.  I'm curious about whether jackets at dinner were needed?  Thanks, Rod

33 minutes ago, stlrod said:

Fantastic Review!  Thanks so much for posting.  We will be a group of 12 doing the same itinerary late April of 2020 on the new ship.  I've shared your review with them and told them you would be a good source for any questions.  I'm curious about whether jackets at dinner were needed?  Thanks, Rod

No jackets are “needed” but some guys wore sports jackets without ties on dressier nights. Since you’re going in April maybe more will wear a jacket because it is chillier.