Celebrity or Silversea for Galapagos

Folkfan13

Trying to decide between the new Silversea Origin, the new Celebrity Flora, and the Xpedition.    Of course at the moment the Xpedition isn't running, but I'm assuming that a year from now, the problem will be solved.    I realize that in the Galapagos, the Celebrity cruises are "all inclusive", but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the suite passengers received benefits on the Xpedition (Quito and on the ship) that the windowed rooms did not get.     Any info on this from someone in the know?     Any advise as to the benefits of Silversea vs Celebrity for a Galapagos cruise?    Hoping for some quick responses, as we need to make our decision soon.    Thanks!

Because of X's Galapagos airfare offer going on now, I looked at Silversea yesterday.  They are quite a bit more expensive for the cruise portion, plus you have to add in the air, so I didn't really look any further, as even a Galapagos cruise on X will be a budget stretcher. 

There are lots of other ships that cruise the Galapagos as well (National Geographic Journeys has two ships, for example).

Interesting.    The quotes I looked at all had air included for Silversea.   The prices were more expensive then the Xpedition, but not compared to the Flora.    I've heard the Silversea has a nicer product, but I'm not sure in which way for a Galapagos cruise tour.

I vote for National Geographic/Lindblad cruises. I had a tremendous experience. The naturalists are excellent, small tour size. Compare prices. When I went with them they included airfare from Miami and overnight in Guayaquil coming and going that you could change to Quito. It was not the typical cruise ship, so cabins are basic, but the food and service was quite good. After all, you're there for the islands and the wildlife, so I was very pleased.

• Like 1

The Origin is booking beginning in July and that got pushed back from June.  We have May on the Silver Galapagos because it was a better deal than the Flora and even better than the Xpedition.  The Origin and Flora both look great and both are very expensive.  If you can get Origin cheaper than Flora, factoring in air, take it.  Celebrity also makes you take their Quito package if you want the flight to the Galapagos, driving up the price.  Silversea does nothing like that.

1 hour ago, Folkfan13 said:

Interesting.    The quotes I looked at all had air included for Silversea.   The prices were more expensive then the Xpedition, but not compared to the Flora.    I've heard the Silversea has a nicer product, but I'm not sure in which way for a Galapagos cruise tour.

I see you're correct, Silversea is offering economy air.  One thing I'm confused by with their itineraries is they mention two nights in Quito pre-tour, so I assume that's in addition to the 7 days they have listed on the itinerary.

One option I liked with X is you can combine a trip to Machu Picchu with the cruise.  I'm just beginning to research so maybe other companies offer this as well.

There’s a note about suites starting in June 2019 for Xpedition including...

Also, they have been having some Gty rooms pop up on Celebrity, but need to be ready to grab them. Today there was one on Xpedition OV in Aug 2020 for $5k 10-night.  Gone now but can still see the pricing.  We got one w good price on Flora about a month ago.  Can’t help on Silversea...

Every Suite on Xpedition Will Include
  • Personal Suite Attendant
  • Private Veranda
  • Unpacking assistance
  • Stock Mini-bar with favorite soft drinks and beers
  • Locally sourced turndown chocolates
  • Champagne / Sparkling Wine set-up
  • In-suite room service
  • Locally sourced and organic bath amenities
  • Full in-suite dinner service
  • Complimentary laundry service twice per cruise
  • Premium bathrobes
  • Premium linens and towels
  • Pillow menu offering
  • Complimentary premium backpack
  • Delivery of afternoon in-suite daily delectable
  • Sunglasses and reading glasses
  • Complimentary use of marine binoculars
  • Complimentary Rain Ponchos
  • In-suite Espresso machine with daily pods replenishment*
  • Open Deck Amenities: Sunscreen, Aloe vera cooling gel, and lip balm

*Available in Penthouse Suites and Royal Suites Onlyrivate Veranda

• Unpacking assistanceStock Mini-bar with favorite soft drinks and beers
  • In-suite room service
  • Premium bathrobes
  • Pillow menu offering
  • *Available in Penthouse Suites and Royal Suites Only

• Personal Suite Attendant
    • Private Veranda
    • Unpacking assistance
    • In-suite room service
    • Premium bathrobes
    • Pillow menu offering

*Available in Penthouse Suites and Royal Suites Only

ersonal Suite Attendant
  • Private Veranda
  • Unpacking assistance
  • In-suite room service
  • Premium bathrobes
  • Pillow menu offering

*Available in Penthouse Suites and Royal Suites Only

I've been on Xpedition (10 days, with 2 nights pre- and one after). In the cheapest room. It was a top notch experience, no worries about luggage handling and flights from the moment I've arrived in Quito until I've left.

I didn't want an "intimate" experience -- the 96 passengers was the right amount for me. A bigger ship was also a very important factor in my decision.

• Like 2

I believe the Xpedition will be going down to 64 passengers now that the Flora is in service to limit the total number of Celebrity passengers replacing the two smaller ships.  I did a look at some 2020 sailings and it looks like the base deck is no longer going to be used for passenger cabins.

We sailed on Xpedition in a suite in November 2018, including the MP extension. It was an exceptional expereince in every way, from the landing in Quito to the departure in Lima - and yes, it was all inclusive unless we desired to add additional tips.

We enjoyed it so much, that we have rebooked the Xpedition for 2021.  As mentioned, there will be only 64 passengers at that time, presuming they straighten out the licensing issue.

As far as suite benefits, we really didn't care at all about the "added" perks. It was so unimportant that we decided to move to deck four on our next trip. The balcony was ;lovely,  but we spent very little time enjoying it. We did take advantage of the food venue on the executive floor at the Marriott. We did look at Flora and the new Silversea, but honsetly, just can't see spending the additional money (enough for another entire cruise). It really depends on your personal priorities. The Xpedition is a lovely ship, and will be even better after tha planned refurbishment, with only 64 passengers. They have blocked some of the more forward cabins out on both decks 3 and 4 (reportedly for crew) to allow cruisers to continue booking in all cabin categories. Although I had planned to DIY the MP extension to save some money, I couldn't come close to replicating the Celebrity experience for the same or less money - it was first class in every way. We added the extension and I am so glad we stuck with Celebrity.

Hi,  we are booked on XP/Quito this coming December 2019.  Could you fill me in on why XP is not running currently, and what the licensing issue is??  I see that fall dates are filling up/sold out, so Celebrity is still booking.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, savethepandas said:

Hi,  we are booked on XP/Quito this coming December 2019.  Could you fill me in on why XP is not running currently, and what the licensing issue is??  I see that fall dates are filling up/sold out, so Celebrity is still booking.  Thanks!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2675233-galapagos-problems/

This is from an article explaining why Celebrity is having problems in the Galapagos.

New Ship, the Celebrity ….XCeption?

In Galapagos, Celebrity Cruises appears to be sailing into piranha infested waters.  

This international cruise ship company is better known for its large high capacity (2,000 – 3,600 passenger) ships with several  pools, hair salons, gift shops, movie theatres and more.   However, in its fleet, three ships stand out for their diminutive size – the Celebrity XPloration (16 passengers) the Celebrity XPerience (48 passengers) and the Celebrity XPedition (92 passengers) - all based in Galapagos.   They’re small because the Galapagos National Park regulations (rightly) don’t allow ships bigger than 100 passengers in an effort to reduce the visitor impact on the fragile ecosystems in the islands (we tend to think that the maximum size should be 32….). 

Of the 65 or so ships that ply Galapagos waters, only 3 or 4 carry 90 to 100 passengers.  Another half dozen will carry 48 – 80 passengers, while the vast majority of ships carry 20 or fewer passengers.  

Until two years ago, Celebrity ran only the 92 passenger XPedition.  In 2017, it entered into an agreement with a local company to take over the operation of that company’s two smaller ships, the Athala (16 passengers – rebranded as the XPloration) and the Eclipse (48 passengers – rebranded as the XPerience). 

In order to carry out this juggling act, the permit for the Celebrity XPedition had to be transferred to the Flora, and the permits for the two smaller ships had to be combined into a larger ship permit, which would be applied to the XPedition.   With that, the smaller ships would be retired from Galapagos service, and Celebrity would only need to manage 2 large ships instead of 1 large one and 2 smaller ones – ensuring greater cost effectiveness of their operations.  

A decree published on 19 June indicated that these permit transfers had been authorized by the Galapagos Regional Government and the Ministry of the Environment (they are jointly in charge of such things).  

But it didn’t take long for a loud outcry to be heard.  The push-back among Galapagos residents and local cruise ship stakeholders was so immediate and so strong that these same authorities published a letter on 20 June indicating that:  “given the concerns raised by the citizens of Galapagos… we have decided to suspend the authorization … and will review the process through which it was initially permitted”. 

Locals have always been suspicious of a perceived favouritism  given to the large companies over smaller, locally owned and operated companies (real or imagined – Galapagos is also rich in conspiracy theorists!).  They feel that exceptions are made to the powerful big boys, while the locals follow the established rules.   Galapagos social media posts are showing many cries of “foul” and “back-room deals” around this particular transfer of permits.    Some decry the concentration of cruise ship permits into fewer hands, and into international corporate control.  Others complain that large ships with their on-board shops discourage visitors from spending their money in small land based shops when visiting there. 

From what I understand, the Celebrity fleet of ships in Galapagos is in a bit of a bind for the time being.  If you are booked on any of these ships, it would be a good idea to contact your agent to confirm your bookings. 

Written by Marc Patry Posted on 22 June 2019

hubofhockey - Thanks for posting that. 

I agree - The onboard shop is the size of a closet, and we had ample opportunity to spend our money ashore. The premise for the objections is strange in that the actual number of tourists visitng through Celebrity is not changed at all. Also, we were told that Celebrity supports ecotourisn in a number of ways, including generous funding.

I still question the integrity of X as they continue to book cruises on a ship that has no license.

Edited by sippican

I am wondering if it makes sense for Royal Caribbean to retire the Xpedition, Xperience, and Xploration and move the Silver Galapagos to Celebrity when the Origin is placed in service.  The Silver Galapagos was recently renovated and its smallest cabins are 240 square feet.  They should keep which ever ship is better for the environment.  If the Xpedition is that much of a problem, just move the license.  The locals are going to make it tough for Royal Caribbean to do much now.  

• Like 1

Just noted today on CB website, and confirmed on chat and on phone - Xpedition now will carry only 48 passengers, not 64!  Is this the final resolution, ie, CB has conceded to only 48 on the Xp?  What will happen to the potential 16 passengers that may have been overbooked?!

13 hours ago, savethepandas said:

Just noted today on CB website, and confirmed on chat and on phone - Xpedition now will carry only 48 passengers, not 64!  Is this the final resolution, ie, CB has conceded to only 48 on the Xp?  What will happen to the potential 16 passengers that may have been overbooked?!

Interesting.  And that may drive prices up even higher.

Honestly, I would look at every option available and book the least expensive.

You are almost off the ship more than you are on it.  And even when on it, you spend a lot of time in previews of the next day's excursions or recaps of the current days.

Never could imagine why you would need a suite and a butler (and crazy prices) on a expedition and destination focused sailing. 

Noted this on the Trip Advisor forum:

14. Re: Xpedition License
Jul 26, 2019, 5:08 PM
My TA just contacted Celebrity (again) and according to the person that she contacted, they received word today that “All regulatory processes have been confirmed for xpedition for next weekends cruise and thereafter”. By next weekends cruise, that means 8/3. I hope this is true and wish there was a way to verify it. Please keep posting if anyone else finds out information.

Fingers crossed that this is true!!