Where are the scones?

cyntil8ing

It seems it was years ago, but it likely wasn't, that from 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm, the Ocean View buffet would offer "Snacks", including finger sandwiches and more importantly, scones with clotted cream. Unfortunately, it seems those have gone away, or is it just that I somehow missed them? 

Hi, we are  from the part of UK where scones and cream are famous and it isn't clotted cream on Celebrity it is a form of whipped cream. The scones are very sweet and hard my DH likes them with just butter but gave up on Celebrity scones 4/5 years ago.

We did see them on Equinox last fall

They are there (or at least have been on every cruise in the last couple of years).  But it absolutely is not clotted cream which is a very different creature.  It is just whipped sweetened cream.  I tend to agree with Emma's Gran about the quality of the scone too - but as long as you don't think that is what the real article tastes like they are fine.

2 hours ago, barbette165 said:

On Equinox last December as well as the whipped cream, there was a small number (<5) of the little pots of clotted cream - I don't know if they were replenished or just a few pots put out each day.

There was clotted cream as well as whipped cream on Silhouette too in March this year, but not every day.

Here is afternoon tea on the Edge. There is strawberry jam and scones with "clotted cream" in the silver bowl. They also had small sandwiches, mini quiches, desserts and some weird neon donuts. 🙂

image.png.0845eee99a8d56a44771a240b9132357.png

image.png.fca415fea82e0adcdaca9c33e01b0f9b.png

image.thumb.png.40aa5c34439005d582d9283da8a9f385.png

image.thumb.png.b90c27957ecf8a613ce3567283ecc15f.png

image.thumb.png.7c4cfc178bd02f1cc7e80caebf882522.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those pictures look delicious 😻 Thanks for making me look forward to my August cruise even more. This is one of my favorite Celebrity experiences. And the tiny jars of clotted cream! I brought an empty one home last December 😀

It was hard enough  to find scones and cream on Long Island ,  it's near impossible living here in central Florida now.

2 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

Whew, thanks all. I must have not looked carefully enough.  I am determined to find them on Equinox next month.

Sorry about the clotted/whipped cream switch-up.  

Interesting question.  So have we decided they are available in the Ocean View buffet?  I will look for them on Equinox in December.

44 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Interesting question.  So have we decided they are available in the Ocean View buffet?  I will look for them on Equinox in December.

Yes, check your daily. It is for a short period of time in the late afternoon. I haven’t seen the cute clotted cream jars yet - new mission for our next cruise, lol.

2 hours ago, Smmessineo said:

Those pictures look delicious 😻 Thanks for making me look forward to my August cruise even more. This is one of my favorite Celebrity experiences. And the tiny jars of clotted cream! I brought an empty one home last December 😀

It was hard enough  to find scones and cream on Long Island ,  it's near impossible living here in central Florida now.

Same here, August is going to be delicious 😄.  I can and do make scones from scratch at home, but mostly in the winter/spring since turning the oven on in NJ during the summer is not the best thing to do.  Thankfully there's a couple stores in NYC that specializes in UK food, so I have access to clotted cream.  Amazon and King Arthur Flour Company also sell it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

Whew, thanks all. I must have not looked carefully enough.  I am determined to find them on Equinox next month.

Sorry about the clotted/whipped cream switch-up.  

I have had creams from Southern England to Northern England. The best was in Cheddar Gorge area. The more north I went the thinner the cream got. If you have access to Michael's Club or The Retreat they have been doing a afternoon tea with scones in the past.

Clotted cream: A silky, golden-yellow cream made by allowing unpasteurized cow’s milk (traditionally from Jersey cows) to sit for 12-24 hours in shallow pans, then slowing heating it and leaving it to cool for another 12-24 hours. The cream that rises to the surface and “clots” is skimmed off and served with scones, berries, or desserts. The best clotted cream is said to have a good, firm crust atop smooth, thick cream. Clotted cream originated in Southwest England (either in Cornwall or Devon, depending on who you ask), and Cornish clotted cream has been awarded the EU’s Protection Designation of Origin. It has a minimum of 55% butterfat.
• Devonshire cream: Clotted cream produced in the county of Devon, England. Interestingly, in Devon, cream is traditionally spread first on a scone, then topped with jam. In Cornwall, it’s the opposite: jam first, then cream.

• Double cream: A dense cream skimmed from the surface of milk. With a butterfat content of 48%, it is much more decadent than whipped cream but slightly lower than clotted cream.

Double cream: A dense cream skimmed from the surface of milk. With a butterfat content of 48%, it is much more decadent than whipped cream but slightly lower than clotted cream.

cream.jpg