Airport transfer waiting

My flight is scheduled to arrive the day of embarkation, two hours before the latest acceptable arrival time for those who use a HAL transfer to the ship.  I figure that I could be on the last run of the day for the HAL motor coach, and I could therefore be waiting in it for a couple hours, as it waits for its final passengers.  Would you tend to use that presumed waiting time to make your way to the port independently, or opt for the convenience and reduced risk of the cruise line’s transfer?  In my case, going independently would mean a 75 minute train ride, then a short taxi ride to the cruise terminal.

I am a wimp.  With your option of a 75 minute train ride plus a taxi as opposed to waiting at the airport for 2ish hours, I would opt for the HAL transfer since they have responsibility for getting you to the ship before it leaves. The train/taxi combo makes it your responsibility to get to the ship before it leaves. Again, I am a wimp and want to get to the ship with the least stress to me....

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

If you know Japan train system really well, you could do this.  I can't see a wait for the transfer of as long as you suggest, though.  HAL is quite good at getting pax onto the transfer and off to the port.

I would think the length of the wait depends on how long it takes to drive to the port.

What happens if your flight is delayed? I wouldn't risk flying the day of embarkation, fly in the day before if possible. Once on a flight from Houston to Hawaii there was an elderly couple we met while waiting for our flight whose earlier flight had been cancelled and they were not going to get to Honolulu in time to catch their NCL cruise departure. I remember this couple every time we book a long flight to a cruise now and we fly in at a minimum of the day before.