Shopping in Bermuda

I want to cruise

Will be in Bermuda with some serious shoppers August 7 - 9. Any recommendations for souvenir shopping stores?  T shirts, hats, etc. I also heard I can get better prices on t shirts on the cruise ship towards the end of the week. Any advice would be great.

If you’re berthed in Dockyard, there’s a great place on Camber Road next to the Bermuda clayworks. Also lots of t-shirt and souvenir stores in Clocktower Mall.

In Hamilton, simply walk up and down Front Street for lots of choices.

Our experience with cruise ship t-shirt sales has been that they are of lower quality and very odd designs ( they get them cheap).

8 hours ago, meglet said:

Lots of high quality and different items that you don't find in most stores/malls in the US.

I'd actually dispute that-- we found that most things, that were not Bermuda specific, could be found in US stores and for less than was being charged in Bermuda. It could be that we are spoiled being in the Northeast and have an abundance of international shopping available to us, but there wasn't anything we found in Hamilton that we couldn't buy more favorably at home. 

• Like 1

Bermuda can be pricey.   What we have bought in the past were men's sweaters from the previous season. One of the department stores, Trimingham's, has closed.  Table linens are pricey, so seldom buy these.  Of course dh once bought a Bermuda triangle!  Yes a triangle from a music store in Bermuda.   It's now hanging in his office.  

• Haha 1

njkruzer

We used to enjoy going to  Trimingham’s !

So sorry that it closed. My DH and Iwould always stop in for a cup of tea and a treat whenever we were in Hamilton. Their shopping bags were great-almost indestructible ! We have some  Portmerion pieces we purchased at the store many years ago.Sadly, I think the store building was demolished to make way for an office building.

To answer the OP’s question, there are some lovely shops in the newly refurbished 

Hamilton Princess hotel. They are a bit on the high-end side though.

I agree about the place in the Dockyard for souvenirs and t-shirts. It is called a pharmacy ,which it is, but they stock much of what you may want in items to bring home at a reasonable cost.

While at the Clocktower Mall,stop in to the Carole Holding shop.She is a talented Bermudian artist. The shop sells her prints of views and sites of Bermuda as well as  items specific to Bermuda.

We have met Mrs. Holding and she is a charming lady.

Enjoy your shopping !

Yes,njkruzer,we have a number of her prints also. 

I purchased placemats and coasters with her floral designs too.

If we are on a ship docked at King’s Wharf,her store conveniently close by.

She used to have a store at theFairmont Southampton Princess,so when we stay there,I am no longer  tempted to add to our collection !

4 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Yes,njkruzer,we have a number of her prints also. 

I purchased placemats and coasters with her floral designs too.

If we are on a ship docked at King’s Wharf,her store conveniently close by.

She used to have a store at theFairmont Southampton Princess,so when we stay there,I am no longer  tempted to add to our collection !

She used to have a store on Front Street in Hamilton. That store was closed a while back. 

If you're looking for traditional Bermuda clothing such as authentic Bermuda shorts, or preppy-looking clothes try the English Sports Shop on Front Street. . We stop in there every year and my wife will usually be able to pick up a few items at surprisingly low prices from their end-of-season sale and clearance racks at the back of the store on the ground  level. She got some nice America's Cup themed tee shirts shortly after the America's Cup had finished. She also has bought sweaters and lightweight pants there .

Also, for British merchandise try Marks and Spencer. The main entrance is on Reid St., but it's also accessible from Front st. via a staircase that's inside a fancy boutique...can't remember the name but I think it's a store that sells expensive handbags, women's shoes and sunglasses.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

If you're looking for traditional Bermuda clothing such as authentic Bermuda shorts, or preppy-looking clothes try the English Sports Shop on Front Street. . We stop in there every year and my wife will usually be able to pick up a few items at surprisingly low prices from their end-of-season sale and clearance racks at the back of the store on the ground  level. She got some nice America's Cup themed tee shirts shortly after the America's Cup had finished. She also has bought sweaters and lightweight pants there .

Also, for British merchandise try Marks and Spencer. The main entrance is on Reid St., but it's also accessible from Front st. via a staircase that's inside a fancy boutique...can't remember the name but I think it's a store that sells expensive handbags, women's shoes and sunglasses.

We also shop at the English Sport Shop and almost always buy something there. We also do Marks and Spenser but have never actually purchased anything there. 

15 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

We also shop at the English Sport Shop and almost always buy something there. We also do Marks and Spenser but have never actually purchased anything there. 

The only thing I've bought at Marks and Spencer is slippers, as strange as that seem. I guess Brits still use more traditional types of slippers, bathrobes and PJs than we do and I was able to get something I can't seem to  find any longer in the US.

We really miss the Trimingham's and Smith's department stores that were on Front St. Hard to believe it's probably close to 15 years since they closed.

Years ago we bought beautiful china and glassware in Bermuda. Things you couldn't necessarily find in the US, at reasonable prices to boot...shipped to our home. One year we bought a set of everyday china...in fact we still use it. When we got home the package was already sitting on our front porch. We couldn't understand how it could have gotten home before we did. It turns out that it came to us from a duty free zone bonded warehouse located in NJ just a few miles from our home. The china had never been in Bermuda...it would come from the manufacturer in Europe and be stored in the warehouse in NJ. The store had so many customers who lived in the US that it made more sense to store the merchandise in NJ than in Bermuda.

• Like 2

Some of my favorite Bermuda stores are:

In the Dockyard Clocktower Mall. Hand Made Bermuda across from the ice cream place. Everything in the store is made in Bermuda and there are some really different items. I like Carole Holding, the Glassworks, Rum Cake Factory, the Craft Market by the Frog & Onion, and don’t forget to stop by the pink kiosk in the grassy strip by the ferry stop and get some yummy Bermuda Fudge! Careful - it’s addicting!

And Dockyard Pharmacy that is so much more than a Pharmacy. Good place for a snack if you are headed for the beach!  Lots of souvenirs. 

In Hamilton, I like Flying Colours on Queen St, Brown & Co on Front St, AS Cooper, Crisson and Walker Christopher (across from the time ferry terminal) have Bermuda charms for Pandora bracelets.  There is a cute little shop behind the ferry terminal called Hodgepodge that has some cute things. Washington Mall off of Reid St has some interesting shops. The Island Shop has beautiful things, but it’s pricey. 

If you are in St George, check out Robertson’s.  It’s another of those pharmacy gift shops with some really great items. 

Enjoy!