Review of Cruise to Scotland, Ireland, Northern Europe - May 2019

GeorgeCharlie

Enjoyed reading this!  My father was born and raised in Edinburgh, emigrated to Canada when he was 16.  Here are a couple of interesting notes.

Many years ago he had a dog he named Deacon Brodie.  I never realized the significance of the name until I walked the Royal Mile and spotted Deacon Brodie's Tavern.  Deacon Brodie was the inspiration for Robert Louis Stevenson's novel Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

He attended a boys' school called George Heriot's School, which was founded in 1628 and is still operating as a school today.  It is a large castle-like building an easy walk from the Royal Mile.  It was used as Hogwarts in the Harry Potter movies.

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2459.jpg

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Sopwith said:

Enjoyed reading this!  My father was born and raised in Edinburgh, emigrated to Canada when he was 16.  Here are a couple of interesting notes.

Many years ago he had a dog he named Deacon Brodie.  I never realized the significance of the name until I walked the Royal Mile and spotted Deacon Brodie's Tavern.  Deacon Brodie was the inspiration for Robert Louis Stevenson's novel Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

He attended a boys' school called George Heriot's School, which was founded in 1628 and is still operating as a school today.  It is a large castle-like building an easy walk from the Royal Mile.  It was used as Hogwarts in the Harry Potter movies.

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2459.jpg

Thanks for the additional insight into Edinburgh. 

• Like 1

The Tron Kirk, former gothic church, is a well-known landmark on the Royal Mile. It was completed in 1641 and closed as a church in 1952.

Having stood empty for over 50 years, it was used briefly as a tourist information centre. More recently, has been opened as The Hub, a venue for various events and festivals on the Royal Mile.

church.thumb.jpg.a65905782262e686c4a9c75c5c186026.jpg

• Like 1

St Giles' Cathedral has been one of Edinburgh's religious focal points for approximately 900 years. The present church dates from the late 14th century.

It is also known as the High Kirk of Edinburgh.

For most of the post-Reformation history the Church of Scotland has not had bishops, as such, the use of the term cathedral carries no practical meaning. The "High Kirk" is an older title, attested to well before the building's brief period as a cathedral during the 17th century.

692668250_AdamSmith_Church.thumb.jpg.bc967069701c7dc185265633710810f7.jpg

• Like 1

In the above picture of the St Giles' Cathedral you will notice a mercat cross. It is an 1885 replacement of the original cross, which was removed in 1756.

928317677_MercatCross.thumb.jpg.bf83821cf1c016e4c298976e3877267b.jpg

A mercat cross is the Scots name for the market cross found frequently in Scottish cities, town and villages, where historically the right to hold a regular market, or fair, was granted by the monarch, a bishop, or a baron. It therefore served a secular purpose as a symbol of authority and an indication of a burgh's relative prosperity.

On the top of this one resides to unicorn I previously referred to.

• Like 1

In the same picture (in the left forefront) you can also see the statue of John Smith - the great Scottish economist, philosopher, and author.

The statue is a relatively new addition to the Royal Mile. The unveiling of the stature on the 4th of July 2008 was a symbolic reference to the publishing of his masterpiece The Wealth of Nations in 1776 - the same year that the American Declaration of Independence was signed. 

As author of The Wealth of Nations, Adam Smith was the pioneer of what today we call economics. He championed the benefits of specialization and free trade, creating the very idea of the modern market economy that dominates the free world today.

The statue's position - in an ancient marketplace - could hardly be more appropriate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

St Giles' Cathedral has been one of Edinburgh's religious focal points for approximately 900 years. The present church dates from the late 14th century.

It is also known as the High Kirk of Edinburgh.

For most of the post-Reformation history the Church of Scotland has not had bishops, as such, the use of the term cathedral carries no practical meaning. The "High Kirk" is an older title, attested to well before the building's brief period as a cathedral during the 17th century.

692668250_AdamSmith_Church.thumb.jpg.bc967069701c7dc185265633710810f7.jpg

What is on top of the statue’s head? It looks like a traffic cone.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

What is on top of the statue’s head? It looks like a traffic cone.

Oh - I kind of figured some people would notice that!!

1521447833_TrafficCone1.thumb.jpg.70c1451ab922fcbfe339675581df9740.jpg

If you look closely at the Scott Monument (post #21) you'll notice there's also one on that statue.

758045963_TrafficCone2.jpg.c48a55d983ab6c6dc31ec88456d123fa.jpg

You guess is as good as mine, as to why there are there!

• Like 1

Some further comments on the Adam Smith Statue.

1941394318_Adam_Smith_statue1.jpg.bfdb4430bba6d0ac6e7390c138b1bc78.jpg

(Image and text pulled from the internet)

The Statue shows Smith in later life — he spent his last years in Edinburgh — but still strong. Behind him is a plough, modelled from a contemporary plough in the Scottish Farming Museum, reminding us of the agrarian economics which Smith supplanted. Before him is a beehive, a symbol of the industry on which he believed progress was based. On top is a globe on which Smith rests his hand — made invisible by his academic gown. The gown itself reminds us of Smith the philosopher, exploring eternal ideas; and behind, St. Giles’s Cathedral completes the evocation. From the other side, we see Smith’s 18thC dress, with the City Chambers beyond, reminding us of Smith the economist, dealing with practical matters. His neckware is modelled on that worn by Thomas Jefferson, his wig is based on one of George Washington’s — recalling Smith’s strong support for free trade with America.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

Oh - I kind of figured some people would notice that!!

1521447833_TrafficCone1.thumb.jpg.70c1451ab922fcbfe339675581df9740.jpg

If you look closely at the Scott Monument (post #21) you'll notice there's also one on that statue.

758045963_TrafficCone2.jpg.c48a55d983ab6c6dc31ec88456d123fa.jpg

You guess is as good as mine, as to why there are there!

To keep the pigeons off? Looks like Adam Smith needs one.

• Like 1

Okay - finally made it up to the top of the Royal Mile!

We didn't go into the castle and just walked around the esplanade area in front of the castle.

castle1.jpg.710fc75533c8f14b3d04094f82edc684.jpg

From the esplanade, you can get a bit of an overview of Edinburgh. Likely, would get much better views from the ramparts of the castle.

castle2.jpg.48c842dee1c1490b451206ea21f296fe.jpg

Esplanade1.jpg.30e5775a4dc7fde8ed2e5af3e7586185.jpg

It is on the esplanade where the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo is held each August. This year it is running from August 2nd to August 24th.

1061413871_image2.jpg.e2a85ddca15ea981e01564f11adca2ee.jpg

(Internet photo)

The tattoo is held as part of the Edinburgh Festival (often referred to as simply The Fringe), which is the world's largest arts festival. In 2018 it featured more than 55,000 performances of 3,548 different shows in 317 venues. In 2018 over 2.8 million show tickets were sold. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

It is on the esplanade where the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo is held each August. This year it is running from August 2nd to August 24th.

1061413871_image2.jpg.e2a85ddca15ea981e01564f11adca2ee.jpg

(Internet photo)

The tattoo is held as part of the Edinburgh Festival (often referred to as simply The Fringe), which is the world's largest arts festival. In 2018 it featured more than 55,000 performances of 3,548 different shows in 317 venues. In 2018 over 2.8 million show tickets were sold. 

The Tattoo is on my list. I can only imagine how amazing. Thank you for the pic.

• Like 1