We took a turn away from Cuba-Our first Oceania cruise experience-7/11/19

Bxianesq

7 hours ago, susiesan said:

Regarding the Harvest Caye stop, I will bring cash to pay for alcoholic drinks. But what about soft drinks and food-are they available on the island at no charge? Does O have a beach barbecue here like Windstar does? My Jan. 25 Sirena cruise will be stopping here. I have been to Belize City 3 times before so I am glad this will be a different experience.

You need cash for any purchases on Harvest Caye-I would pack some ice and the free sodas in your mini fridge if you want soft drinks.  

Edited by Bxianesq
spelling

8 hours ago, susiesan said:

Regarding the Harvest Caye stop, I will bring cash to pay for alcoholic drinks. But what about soft drinks and food-are they available on the island at no charge? Does O have a beach barbecue here like Windstar does? My Jan. 25 Sirena cruise will be stopping here. I have been to Belize City 3 times before so I am glad this will be a different experience.

Yes.  Buffet included.  Bring cash for your booze.  And if you buy souvenirs.

Enjoy.

We were at Harvest Caye in March on the Riviera.  There was no free buffet.  We ate an early lunch on the ship and then went ashore.  We paid for all of our drinks by credit card or cash.

We had a very pleasant day there.  

I have been reading about Harvest Caye on the ports of call and NCL boards. When NCL ships stop there the food and drink in the restaurants has to be paid for. There is conflicting info as to how Oceania handles the food. Some say a free buffet is included, some say not. Maybe when Sirena starts calling here in January 2020 the food situation will change. The island looks small enough that you could get off in the morning, walk back to the ship for lunch, then go back off in the afternoon if not taking a shore excursion that goes to the mainland and is gone all day.  My cruise has us there from 8:00-6:00. Hopefully no there ship will be there at the same time.

1 hour ago, Roccaforte said:

We were at Harvest Caye in March on the Riviera.  There was no free buffet.  We ate an early lunch on the ship and then went ashore.  We paid for all of our drinks by credit card or cash.

Since you have been to Harvels Caye on an Oceania ship, can you please tell me if it was possible to take the short ferry ride to the mainland to see more of Belize? People on NCL ships have reported that only those who'd paid for a ship-sponsored excursion could get off the island. If Oceania does the same, I will cancel my February cruise on the Sirena and find another cruise line that goes to Belize. 

3 hours ago, Maya_C said:

Since you have been to Harvels Caye on an Oceania ship, can you please tell me if it was possible to take the short ferry ride to the mainland to see more of Belize? People on NCL ships have reported that only those who'd paid for a ship-sponsored excursion could get off the island. If Oceania does the same, I will cancel my February cruise on the Sirena and find another cruise line that goes to Belize. 

Belize City is very far from Harvest Caye...and it is not a place you would just go and walk around in anyway.  I've seen the decline over the years and now it is advised that you take a ship's excursion on the mainland...on any cruise line.  I've been many times and I've done some volunteer work as well.  Getting to the ruins from either Harvest Caye or Belize City (different ruins) is quite a distance.  I'd stay with Oceania and take a tour.

• Like 1

Is it possible folks are blending Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas) with Harvest Caye (Belize)?

We were on O earlier in 2019 at Harvest Caye - no (free) buffet, pay as you go for island activities, food & drink.  The ferry to the mainland (not Belize City, but rather Placencia) was *not* running, although they were using that dock for ship's tour activities.

We were on O in late 2017 at Great Stirrup Cay, and there was a lunch buffet put on by the ship's staff (yes, they brought all the food & the staff from the ship, with some items grilled on island).  Iirc select non-alcoholic drinks were available grab-n-go, but alcohol you had to pay for.

I do highly recommend the coconut drink vendor on Harvest Caye, not expensive, and the day we were there he was happy to pour as much rum as you wanted in your just-opened coconut (we aimed for cocktail-strength, but he would have done much more lol).

3 hours ago, Maya_C said:

Have you been to Belize , Belize City, before?  

Be careful what you wish for.  The city and mainland are some of the most dangerous areas in the Caribbean to go wandering around own your own.  I would not recommend it.   Why?  High unemployment rate.   You might get robbed, mugged, or even killed. If a woman, even worse.   Verbal abuse, and you may even get raped.  It is that bad.   Belize /Belize City is almost as dangerous as the Dominican Republic for PAXs/tourists.  👎

I would just hang out at Harvest Caye, or take a ship sponsored shore excursion.  That is what I do.   JMO.

Good luck what ever you decide.  Stay safe.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Roccaforte said:

Us too...there was a place to eat at the pool, but the ship was a 5 min walk away so we ate in Terrace and went back to the beach/pool afterwards. 

46 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Be careful what you wish for.  The city and mainland are some of the most dangerous areas in the Caribbean to go wandering around own your own.  I would not recommend it.   Why?  High unemployment rate.   You might get robbed, mugged, or even killed. If a woman, even worse.   Verbal abuse, and you may even get raped.  It is that bad.   Belize /Belize City is almost as dangerous as the Dominican Republic for PAXs/tourists.  👎

I would just hang out at Harvest Caye, or take a ship sponsored shore excursion.  That is what I do.   JMO.

THIS IS TOTALLY ACCURATE!

Belize City, which is a couple hours away from Harvest Caye anyway, is a dangerous city for the locals let alone tourists.

My daughter had a friend who was a missionary in Belize City and before we docked there (on another cruiseline), we contacted him and he picked us up at the terminal so we could spend the day with him. The mission house was next door to a drug house (they stayed in good relations with them) where they often had drive by shootings. He took us with him as he ran errands all day...there were security guards with rifles at EVERY store, the bank and the airport.  He said that unless you're with a local, it's not safe to be anywhere outside the terminal. 

So, I would certainly not recommend the OP go to Belize City....nothing there to see anyway...basically slums.  Harvest Caye, on the other hand, has a lovely beach and huge pool with palapas, umbrellas and loungers. It was a great day there!

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Us too...there was a place to eat at the pool, but the ship was a 5 min walk away so we ate in Terrace and went back to the beach/pool afterwards. 

Sounds like a plan.🏝️😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Go-Bucks! said:

THIS IS TOTALLY ACCURATE!

Belize City, which is a couple hours away from Harvest Caye anyway, is a dangerous city for the locals let alone tourists.

My daughter had a friend who was a missionary in Belize City and before we docked there (on another cruiseline), we contacted him and he picked us up at the terminal so we could spend the day with him. The mission house was next door to a drug house (they stayed in good relations with them) where they often had drive by shootings. He took us with him as he ran errands all day...there were security guards with rifles at EVERY store, the bank and the airport.  He said that unless you're with a local, it's not safe to be anywhere outside the terminal. 

So, I would certainly not recommend the OP go to Belize City....nothing there to see anyway...basically slums.  Harvest Caye, on the other hand, has a lovely beach and huge pool with palapas, umbrellas and loungers. It was a great day there

2 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Thank you for your information. I had no intention of going to Belize City or wandering around on my own. I'd hoped to take a guided snorkeling excursion to Laughing Bird Caye National Park. It leaves from the ferry dock in Placencia. My  question, which I'd hope someone on this board could answer, was whether I could take the ferry from Harvest Caye to Placencia without being on a ship excursion. 

2 hours ago, Maya_C said:

Thank you for your information. I had no intention of going to Belize City or wandering around on my own. I'd hoped to take a guided snorkeling excursion to Laughing Bird Caye National Park. It leaves from the ferry dock in Placencia. My  question, which I'd hope someone on this board could answer, was whether I could take the ferry from Harvest Caye to Placencia without being on a ship excursion. 

I may have missed something, but this snorkeling excursion  is what is offered on my January 2020 Oceania Cruise.  Your itinerary may be different.

This is what is listed on excursions for Belize.

Barrier Reef Snorkel (HAR-046)
January 09, 2020
Port: Harvest Caye
“Barrier Reef Snorkel

Snorkel the azure waters of Belize's Barrier Reef, the world’s largest living barrier reef. This is a shallow water entry, well suited for beginners and intermediate snorkelers. 

Depart from the Harvest Caye Marina on one of our comfortable snorkel vessels for the short scenic ride to a beautiful site along the reef. This location is teeming with multitudes of colorful reef fish, co-habiting among the beautiful hard and soft coral formations, intermingled with sponges, sea fans and delicate sea anemones. Possible sightings of spotted eagle rays and schools of larger fish are quite common, large starfish, queen conchs and sea cucumbers also call this patch of the reef home. 

After snorkeling, re-board your boat and enjoy the return trip with complimentary rum or fruit punch while listening to Caribbean rhythmic vibes.”

I see no Oceania snorkeling excursions from Harvest Caye to Laughing Bird Caye National Park. 

Good luck.  Maybe try another cruise line.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We spent about 12 days in Belize 20-some years ago.  We hired drivers where necessary and did not spend much time in Belize at all.  At the very end of our trip we spent a couple of days at Caye Caulker, but no time at all in Belize City -- even then.

I agree that the sites you might want to see -- Lamanai, Crooked Tree, etc. -- are too far away to visit when you are only there for one day.  On our way to Crooked Tree (where we stayed for several days) we did stop at Altun Ha.  That should be do-able from Belize City but it's small and not as interesting as other sites.  But if that's all you can do, you might consider it.  It's probably best to hire a driver, which is what we did.

The highlight of our trip was three days in Tikal but that's clearly not possible on a cruise visit!

Mura

4 hours ago, babysteps said:

Is it possible folks are blending Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas) with Harvest Caye (Belize)?

We were on O earlier in 2019 at Harvest Caye - no (free) buffet, pay as you go for island activities, food & drink.  The ferry to the mainland (not Belize City, but rather Placencia) was *not* running, although they were using that dock for ship's tour activities.

We were on O in late 2017 at Great Stirrup Cay, and there was a lunch buffet put on by the ship's staff (yes, they brought all the food & the staff from the ship, with some items grilled on island).  Iirc select non-alcoholic drinks were available grab-n-go, but alcohol you had to pay for.

I do highly recommend the coconut drink vendor on Harvest Caye, not expensive, and the day we were there he was happy to pour as much rum as you wanted in your just-opened coconut (we aimed for cocktail-strength, but he would have done much more lol).

I saw that coconut guy last week!  Wish I knew about the rum part....

1 hour ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

I see no Oceania snorkeling excursions from Harvest Caye to Laughing Bird Caye National Park. 

The excursion is offered by a local vendor, not Oceania. To get to the meeting point for it, I would need to take the ferry from Harvest Caye to Placencia. The ferry exists. The question is whether it is a ferry that anyone may take or if it is restricted to those who have paid for a ship-sponsored tour.  

28 minutes ago, Maya_C said:

To get to the meeting point for it, I would need to take the ferry from Harvest Caye to Placencia. The ferry exists. 

I never saw a ferry...at our dock there were just a couple spaces for large ships and a long walkway from the dock to the pool/beach area. Maybe this ferry is somewhere else on the island? There were a couple ship excursions that took people out to snorkel...I'll check and see if I still have the info sheet that tells where they go and how long to get there.

21 hours ago, babysteps said:

Our experience also at Great Stirrup, except we had the Prestige drink package and all our alcoholic drinks were covered also. They wrote it paper and ran them later. 

On 7/24/2019 at 4:37 PM, Maya_C said:

The excursion is offered by a local vendor, not Oceania. To get to the meeting point for it, I would need to take the ferry from Harvest Caye to Placencia. The ferry exists. The question is whether it is a ferry that anyone may take or if it is restricted to those who have paid for a ship-sponsored tour.  

It's a shame that people can't answer your query w/out derailing the thread about the dangers of Belize City.

Cruise ship passengers arriving at Harvest Caye offshore of Belize now have another great way to explore more of the country. A ferry now operates from Harvest Caye to the popular Placencia Village in southeastern Belize. Tickets can be purchased onboard cruise vessels or at the information booth on Harvest Caye for $20 USD round trip.

The private tour company, Placencia Cruise Control, which is owned by Belizeans, have been given a tendering contract to ferry the Harvest Caye guests to the pier. Once they arrive there, the guests can then meet up with whichever tour operator they booked for the day.

Here's a recent account from someone who used the service earlier this year.

"There is only one ferry. No name. They do not have a website and unfortunately there is no way to contact them. You will catch the ferry at the marina on Harvest Caye. It's $20 per person. You can try to buy your tickets from your cruise at the excursion desk soon after boarding, but there's a slight chance they won't be very helpful. The NCL rep who sold me my ferry tickets tried talking me out of it. She said people miss their ships all the time due to this ferry. I didn't believe her because I did extensive research prior to cruising and no where on the internet did I see complaints of people missing their ships due to this ferry. Also, someone on our snorkeling tour told me NCL said the ferry was sold out. Not true. We figured it's because they want you to stay on their island where they will drain more money out of you. If your cruise gives you a hard time, you can buy your tickets at the marina. The marina is about a 15 min walk from the ship. It's a very small island and the marina is easy to find. Just ask someone and they will point you in the right direction. Now, when you book your snorkeling make sure to email the snorkel company to let them know exactly when you arrive and depart Harvest Caye. There will also be a time change. Local Belize time is an hour behind ship time in most cases. So if you dock at 9:00, it's 8:00 Belize time. Try to get off the ship asap and get over to the marina so you can get the first ferry out. This will allow more time to enjoy your day. They will send the first ferry out as soon as it fills. The ferry captain is very aware of the time restraints. They will get you out asap and will insist that you be back at Placencia by a specific time (about 1.5-2 hrs before your ship departs). Same with the snorkel crew. They DO NOT want you to miss your ship."

Edited by Skai

On 7/24/2019 at 10:28 AM, Maya_C said:

Since you have been to Harvels Caye on an Oceania ship, can you please tell me if it was possible to take the short ferry ride to the mainland to see more of Belize? 

I just found my shore excursion sheet from last weeks' Harvest Caye day. There was a shore excursion for the ferry...here's the listing:

"HAR-031   Placencia Village Ferry

8:40am & 9:40am leave times

Cost: $20pp

For guests wishing to explore independently, a local ferry is available to Placencia, Belize. Tickets may be purchased on board or at the Harvest Caye Marina on the island and will be charged to your onboard account accordingly. Transfer time: approximately 30 min. each way (depending on weather conditions). The Placencia Village Ferry departs from the Harvest Caye Marina on the island. There is approximately a 20 min. walk from the ship."

‐--‐----------------------------------

It took 5-10 min for me to walk down the walkway from the ship to the island. You'd have to walk pretty slowly to take 20 min. There are several golf carts that will drive you down the walkway too.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

1 hour ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I just found my shore excursion sheet from last weeks' Harvest Caye day. There was a shore excursion for the ferry...here's the listing:

"HAR-031   Placencia Village Ferry

8:40am & 9:40am leave times

Cost: $20pp

For guests wishing to explore independently, a local ferry is available to Placencia, Belize. Tickets may be purchased on board or at the Harvest Caye Marina on the island and will be charged to your onboard account accordingly. Transfer time: approximately 30 min. each way (depending on weather conditions). The Placencia Village Ferry departs from the Harvest Caye Marina on the island. There is approximately a 20 min. walk from the ship."

‐--‐----------------------------------

It took 5-10 min for me to walk down the walkway from the ship to the island. You'd have to walk pretty slowly to take 20 min. There are several golf carts that will drive you down the walkway too.

Thank you so much, Go-Bucks. This was exactly the information I needed. I really appreciate your taking the time to post the details. ~Maya