Empress B2B - 14 Nights on the Biggest Little Ship

Continuing down the beach you'll find the floating bar.

vqamfcR.jpg

One thing I noted was an abundance of umbrellas that are now complimentary.  In the past umbrellas had a $20 to $25 charge. 

FYyTeLd.jpg

Something I don't recall seeing at CocoCay are Beach Beds.  These have been a feature at Labadee but I don't recall seeing them at CocoCay before.

Cz1UH6n.jpg

iAQl1lL.jpg

hU16Azt.jpg

These are located at the end of the beach area just past the floating bar.  Past this area is closed while Coco Beach Club is being built.  

fa6oxgG.jpg

It also marks the end of the WiFi coverage area.

WYcjVRB.jpg

• Like 1

Wait.  WiFi coverage?   Yes!

If you bought a Voom internet plan on the ship it now works on CocoCay! 

It also works quite well.

Voom on CocoCay uses the newer O3b satellite platform used on newer ships such as Oasis and Quantum class and the speeds are very good.

z9KAbSV.jpg

I tried a speed test at two different times and in different locations on the island.

OXNIsGh.jpg

At one point I went back to the ship to get some more sunscreen and I wanted to see what results were on the ship while it is docked at CocoCay.

Empress uses the old satellite technology including while it is docked at CocoCay.

xiUV4sH.jpg

Big difference in speed and I'm super impressed that CocoCay has O3b technology powering Voom even though I'm using my Empress Voom plan when Empress uses the older satellite technology.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 2

A new addition to CocoCay is the Chill Island Snack Shack.

5X6P5cD.jpg

q9b6dlQ.jpg

All CocoCay dining venues now have hand washing stations.

ssZC4od.jpg

The Snack Shack menu is complimentary.

xIKF3AF.jpg

I came back later when they were open.  Note the two windows in the middle have a platform for kids to order.

jlqaSHi.jpg

The Shack Crispy Chicken Sandwich.  Yum.

MikMJ1P.jpg

I think I found my new default snack on CocoCay.  It was really good.

krztjLH.jpg

This sandwich was made in the kitchen within the building.  I had a two minute wait while they prepared it since it was a slow time.  It isn't something from the ship that was cooked hours earlier, it was quite good.

• Like 2

The Snack Shack and this part of Chill Island is close to the Oasis Lagoon.  

QJFHqAo.jpg

The pool was starting to get busier.

FnNHc5i.jpg

uiXVAqm.jpg

Walking around the other side of Harbor Lagoon I wanted to change, drop off my cameras and go swimming.

FCHaSLF.jpg

At this pre-lunch time walking through Skipper's Grill  I noted there is soft serve ice cream.

gD911Kt.jpg

As well as a self serve Heineken beer tap (swipe your card).

IneJKQV.jpg

Captain Jack's was getting busier.

GHqq4w3.jpg

It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Dv0dS4x.jpg

One thing to note.  This $11 drink became something like $14.38 with gratuity and Bahamas VAT added.  It won't take too many drinks to justify the drink package.

New souvenir cups.

ECv2V56.jpg

Edited by twangster

After lunch I wanted to see how busy it felt with two ships in port so I wandered around and jumped in the pool.  I found some loungers in the second row to throw my stuff on while I checked out the pool.

I had no issues swimming up to the bar and ordering a Margarita.

pizUDjS.jpg

Around Chill Island it was easy to get loungers, some front row.

DYz8PUf.jpg

r8V0clj.jpg

myB1P7k.jpg

povKLB6.jpg

The floating bar was very popular.

qgkyXeQ.jpg

Back at the Harbor there were loungers to be had.

M3FSL6y.jpg

Despite two ships at Perfect Day I never felt like I couldn't get anything such as food, drinks or a place to relax.  I think it handled the guest count quite well and Coco Beach Club isn't open yet.

• Thanks 1

With our Perfect Day complete, it was time to go.

Navigator first.

Ny2TmJX.jpg

Then it was our turn.

QdZrnmu.jpg

With the last of my C&A wines on ice, it was time to pack.  Then to my balcony to enjoy the ocean.

The final night theater production Three Sequins and Feathers was back on but since I'll be back next week and I needed to pack I skipped it.  It's great show.

EG5rvL1.jpg

Day 15 - Miami

A short sail over from CocoCay at 11 knots had us at the pilot station at 6am.  As I was eating a WJ breakfast I saw we were entering the Port of Miami. 

Royal Caribbean's Terminal A as we make our way back to Terminal G.

KeArFDe.jpg

6NW1cJv.jpg

4GQtn6A.jpg

Louis our Loyalty Ambassador promised to help me get off early in the self assist program and asked me to meet him in the Schooner Bar.   This was also the Key meeting area.

jj8jzfl.jpg

Key departure breakfast in Chops.

PlHEYU5.jpg

The federal authorities allowed us off the ship 15 minutes early starting at 7:45am.  We then waited in the terminal for CBP to open. 

This cruise hot naughty commodity appears to be irons and a few extension cords or power bars.

xr2QGgj.jpg

By 8:06am I was outside hailing a Lyft ride to Fort Lauderdale Hollywood Airport.  

My flight was at 10:20am which is pushing my luck but I can make last minute changes without fees so I pushed my luck today.

By 8:35am I was at the airport.

By 8:45am I was through security and at my gate.

Lyft and Uber pricing to FLL airport.

0CKRMIA.jpg

45WDgUd.jpg

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Big difference in speed and I'm super impressed that CocoCay has O3b technology powering Voom even though I'm using my Empress Voom plan when Empress uses the older satellite technology.

Interesting that they don’t limit the BW on land like on the ship. 

Cruise Summary

Don't let the pictures fool you, Empress is not a large ship.  Cabins from interior to suites are not as generous as they are on newer and larger ships. 

In some cases the pullman beds for 3rd and 4th guests that are flush into the ceiling on other ships are mounted externally to the walls.  This is what cruising was like in the mid-80's when she was originally ordered by Admiral Cruises.  Incidentally that is also how Royal Caribbean found themselves in possession of CocoCay - through the acquisition of Admiral Cruises.  It was fitting to visit CocoCay while sailing Empress.

On Empress you'll find a Royal Caribbean ship with all the core cruising essentials and more - a pool, hot tubs, kids splash area, a pool bar, a Viking Crown Lounge, a Windjammer, a Main Dining Room, Chops Grille, Schooner Bar, Boleros, Main Theater entertainment, game shows, trivia, rock climbing wall, pool deck activities, live music and dancing.

When I booked these cruises I wasn't hesitant about booking B2B or 14 nights on Empress because I know and love this ship.  What I should have done is booked B3B or B4B as some of others that I ran into daily had done.  

Did I miss a Diamond Lounge?  Not really.  The regular top Crown and Anchor members had our regular spot and we would see each other there nightly.  We enjoyed our three free Diamond Happy Hour drinks.  The bartenders took care of us.  

I still maintain that Chops Grille on Empress is the best Chops in the fleet.  Large windows to the sea with great service and great food.  

Without question Boleros on Empress is the best in the fleet.

There is no inherent motion simply because she is a small ship.  Some nights I accidentally left my bathroom door open and it was never swinging or creaking in the night.   

With only 1,840 guests maximum it never feels crowded.  Certain events were popular and well attended but not overly packed.  

Voom.  Like any ship that uses the older satellite technology there are times when Voom struggles on Empress just like it does on other ships that use the old technology.  I hope the IT Manager's request for an O3b upgrade comes through, that would make Empress the perfect ship.  

The new Empress itineraries that include small ship ports look outstanding.   St George's and Hamilton?  Montreal?  Wow!

Perfect Day - just wow!   

I'm glad to see the classic CocoCay beach experience remains with Chill Island but with new food and beverage additions. 

Oasis Lagoon is massive and really nice.  The complimentary choices mean you don't have to spend a dime to have a Perfect Day but when you want to AMP up your vacation there are choices like Thrill Waterpark to do so.   Captain Jack's and Skipper's Grill with their patios overlooking the Harbor Lagoon are places where you just want to hang out.  The large paved pathway that circles CocoCay is friendly to accessible needs, much more so than CocoCay ever was before.  

Louis the Loyalty Ambassador once again took great care of me.  With no Diamond Concierge Louis helped to fill that void.  

Julie our Hotel Director put it best.  She is a small ship but she has the biggest heart plus you can get anywhere in 5 minutes or less.  This is a huge benefit of small ship cruising.  The majority of the crew report up through the Hotel Director and If these crew and the great service are a reflection of the Hotel Director then Julie has done an outstanding job on Empress. 

There is a part of me that wants to perpetuate a myth that everyone should avoid this ship.  Only then will prices remain low and I can have her all to myself but that wouldn't be fair to the ship or her crew that make Empress not only the biggest little ship but the Royal ship with the biggest heart.

I hoped you enjoyed following along and I thank you for viewing. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, twangster said:

I wonder if that will remain long term.  It may be just while it's new and they are fine tuning coverage.

I think the highest reported download speed on any O3B equipped ship (before current limits) was about 25 Mbps, so the CocoCay speeds are even better than that. It is interesting that they went with O3B instead of trying to get some terrestrial coverage via some Bahamian ISP.

21 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I think the highest reported download speed on any O3B equipped ship (before current limits) was about 25 Mbps, so the CocoCay speeds are even better than that. It is interesting that they went with O3B instead of trying to get some terrestrial coverage via some Bahamian ISP.

The BTC cell tower on GSC is fed by microwave backhaul to the Berry Islands that themselves may be fed by something other than an undersea cable.  Short of establishing their own microwave backhaul I'm thinking it was easier to leverage the established relationship with O3b.  Just a guess.

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Short of establishing their own microwave backhaul I'm thinking it was easier to leverage the established relationship with O3b.  Just a guess.

Maybe O3B gave RCI some kind of a break on rates due to land based use. Apparently the high prices are keeping O3B off older ships.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:18 PM, twangster said:

Our Inventory Manager has promised there shall be Guinness waiting for me the week after next when I return.   Really nice guy who has been with Royal for 24 years.  His last ship was Freedom.  He has a wife and two teenage daughters at home.  They do get to come on board and spend time when schedules permit.  As a 3 stripe officer he has his own cabin.  On larger ships his family can stay with him in his cabin when they visit.  His cabin on Empress only allows 2 so when his family visits they need to use a guest cabin.  He volunteered that he makes a lot more money with Royal than he ever could back in Nicaragua.  Providing a good quality education for his daughters is a priority so that is why he is here, he could never do so trying to get by at home.  It's all about providing a better life for his family.  

He likes Empress because of the smaller ship size.  On this ship the crew and guests become family because every one gets to know everyone.  On larger ships there are so many crew and guests you can go a contract and not meet everyone.  With the sense of family on board the time goes faster and before you know it the contract is over.  I have certainly experience that here on Empress where several offices and crew have recognized me and stopped to talk.  You don't get that as often on larger ships.

I really like the fact that you took the time to ask the officers about their family life.  I think sometimes, we (passengers) forget that while we are on board for a week or two, they are on board for months and months away from their family.  Kudo's to you!!

• Like 2

On 8/4/2019 at 8:17 AM, schlimazel_traveler said:

What are the inside cabins like (space, layout, storage)? 

Similar to Vision class? 

I was on her in April for Cuba, and I can tell you the inside cabins are TIIINNNYY! 

Twangster - I have read every day of your B2B adventure, eagerly awaiting your next post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share both your words and pictures.  I sail on Empress in October and cannot wait to experience this small ship with a big heart!

• Thanks 1

Twangster, thank you so much for your review of the Empress, I have enjoyed it. 

We are going on her next month and I am so looking forward to it. 

One question, since there isn’t a Diamond Lounge is there a place to get a coffee/cappuccino during the day? I am assuming my husband can get his coffee in the windjammer, but does like get a cappuccino in the DL. Thank you. 

21 minutes ago, vegascruiser1 said:

One question, since there isn’t a Diamond Lounge is there a place to get a coffee/cappuccino during the day? I am assuming my husband can get his coffee in the windjammer, but does like get a cappuccino in the DL. Thank you. 

Unfortunately no.  Some guests buy the coffee card to use at the cafe in Boleros.