Empress B2B - 14 Nights on the Biggest Little Ship

On 7/25/2019 at 9:44 PM, twangster said:

A somewhat "hidden" feature are the forward public decks on 7 & 8.  Notice the small stairway to the right.

You may mention this later (I'm only on page 5 right now), but this is the BEST spot for stargazing at night!  There are hardly any lights, so you can see a million stars.

12 minutes ago, beachnative said:

Twangster:  please, which side of the Empress ALLOWS SMOKING on decks 6 & 10?

Thank you for the review and photos...we are in the process of booking a Junior Suite for a Back2Back on the Bayonne/Montreal run and do not smoke.  

Smoking is port side on both decks.

On 8/5/2019 at 8:54 AM, twangster said:

[...] This is what cruising was like in the mid-80's when she was originally ordered by Admiral Cruises.  Incidentally that is also how Royal Caribbean found themselves in possession of CocoCay - through the acquisition of Admiral Cruises.  It was fitting to visit CocoCay while sailing Empress.

I pulled these out to photograph them for ya. 🙂 Memories...

Admiral_Glassware---20190808_170816.thumb.jpg.026b94c3dd82761d84ff8a59c22e1613.jpg

• Like 2

I'll be on Empress August 24-Sept 1. Back in the 80's I sailed on both Emerald Seas when she was Eastern Cruise Lines and Azure Seas when she was Western Cruise Lines before they were both bought out by Admiral. It's funny that, thirty years later, I'm going to complete the Trifecta by sailing on what was to be "Future Seas". Twangster, thank you a million times over for your excellent review. I was somewhat apprehensive as I've never sailed RCI before, but it;s obvious that you really, really enjoyed your time on Empress. Now I'm quite looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Hi Twangster

Thank you for all the great pics and review of your cruise.  We are sailing on the Empress Aug 18 and love going back.  A quick question, is the MDR open every morning for breakfast?  They don’t have a Diamond Lounge and I need my special coffee. 

Thanks and have a good cruise.

2 hours ago, Eastern flygirl said:

We are sailing on the Empress Aug 18 and love going back.  A quick question, is the MDR open every morning for breakfast?  They don’t have a Diamond Lounge and I need my special coffee. 

Hours vary for the MDR breakfast.  On sea days they have a brunch that starts a little later compared to other mornings. The Cruise Compass posted earlier list the times for each day.

Our family was on the Empress to Cuba two years ago and we thought it really deserved the name "the little ship with the big heart."  We are booked on the Empress next July from Cape Liberty to New England and Canada.  Seeing your review and all the pictures  reminded me how much we enjoyed her.  We had cabin 8500 (forward facing ocean view) and used the public area in front of our cabin to view sail away from Tampa (and the Skyway Bridge) and arrival into Havana. That's why we booked 8000 this time (next door to 8000).  Don't recall the doors from deck 8 to this area indicating emergency exit.  Thanks for the great review and the memories.

On 8/8/2019 at 2:45 PM, twangster said:

Smoking is port side on both decks.

Thank you.

We are moving to the Starboard side on deck 9 and would like to have your suggestion as to which cabin.  Almost all JS cabins are available.  We have considered the one halfway between elevators but am concerned that it will be noisy because it might be below the bandstand.

Thank you again.  We are very excited about the Empress due to your excellent review.

On 8/4/2019 at 9:17 AM, schlimazel_traveler said:

What are the inside cabins like (space, layout, storage)? 

Similar to Vision class? 

This is outside,  but I think inside is the same.

Cozy

20190713_140108.thumb.jpg.c918876bab835e6b7a7fdef4d62dbca0.jpg

And the bath

20190713_133755.thumb.jpg.dc648a5e7b7cf07fad98fff7b0eb2853.jpg

Now, our cabin had an extra bed😎

That was nice. 

20190713_133301.thumb.jpg.410f877c7156cfe95176d966e945cf81.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/7/2019 at 8:58 AM, twangster said:

Unfortunately no.  Some guests buy the coffee card to use at the cafe in Boleros.

Thank you very much for this information. 

Thanks again for for your review, l am looking forward to cruising on the Empress next month. 

Thank you so much for this great review!  I will be on Empress on Aug 24-Sept 1.  I cruised on her last year to Cuba and am looking forward to being on her again!  Did they really close the pool and whirlpools at 10pm?  Seems so early, especially since the kids splash pad is open until 11pm.  We usually eat around 8 or 8:30pm and enjoy a dip in the hot tub afterwards.  

Thank you Twangster for this fabulous Live Empress travelogue. Your photographs are just gorgeous. 

We are boarding Empress on Sunday morning and now more excited than ever to experience this lovely little ship with the big heart. 

Happy Cruising. 

Jonathan

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Monthend said:

I have read quite a few reviews mentioning a sewage smell on deck five and six. I note you did not mention this. Is this fixed now.

One day I smelled a slight hint of sewer on deck 6 outside in the smoking area as I walked past.  Could have been the wind direction or something but it's the only time I noticed it.  

I smelled it in my JS on Enchantment, a day before sewage flooded my bathroom.  I had a hint of it on Symphony on the transatlantic.  It happens sometimes.

11 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

Twangster,

Thanks for the fantastic review. Would you, or anyone else for that matter, be able to tell me if the pools on the Empress are "Fresh Water" or "Salt/Sea water"??  Thanks.

Salt.  

2 hours ago, cruisingpeople said:

Twangster,

Thanks for the fantastic review. Would you, or anyone else for that matter, be able to tell me if the pools on the Empress are "Fresh Water" or "Salt/Sea water"??  Thanks.

Salt.