Regal v Majestic v Sapphire for New Zealand

~*Lou*~

I am trying to decide which New Zealand cruise to book. We are deciding between 13 nights on either Regal or Majestic from Sydney, or 13 nights from Melbourne on Sapphire for January 2021.

The Regal/Majestic cruises have 6 port days, 5 sea days and 1 additional day of scenic cruising, while Sapphire has 5 port days, 6 sea days and 1 additional day of scenic cruising.

I love the idea of the wrap around promenade deck on Sapphire, which I know Regal and Majestic don’t have. Regal and Majestic look like they have considerably less public outside viewing decks from the deck plans I can see online.

We are a family of 4, the only cruises we have done before now were 7 nights & port intensive itineraries. This time the cruise is longer than we have done before, with considerably more sea days, and the children will be 11 and 13 by the time January 2021 comes round.  Swimming pools (that children can use), and pizza and ice cream on board is important, as are sports activities (somewhere for the children to kick a soccer ball? Basketball court?). Even when the children use kids club, we are not Sanctuary users.

Anyone got advice for me?

Many thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

We are also trying to decide on an Australia/ New Zealand cruise. I can tell you that we have been on the Golden, Crown, Coral and Regal. The Regal is our favorite but we have a soft spot for the Golden (3 times). We love Skywalker's Lounge with the privacy and views it offers during the day. LOVE the food on the Regal. 

Personally go from Melbourne on the Sapphire as you live in Melbourne,

Like Nini we have a soft spot for the Golden..  Have two cruises booked on her late in the year 

Not sure about the kicking the soccer ball around..but there is a basket ball court.

But if your children like the kids club you are set.

Cheers Don  

It would depend on what's most important to you, the ship or the itinerary.  I prefer the Sapphire because it's a smaller ship than the other two and is beautiful.  We were on it for 28 days from Sydney to LA.  If the ports are more important than go with one of the other ships.  Also, decide if you want to get to Sydney or just leave from Melbourne where you live.  No flights required.

We have been on the Sapphire Princess and loved her, we are going on the Majestic next year so can't help you with that one, friends just came back of Regal and said it was a lovely ship, don't think you can go wrong with any of them, although going on a ship from home port would definitely be an advantage.

I love the Sapphire Princess. I also love outdoor decks, promenade decks and the covered pool.

I would choose by itinerary first. I also prefer smaller ships. While the Sapphire is not necessarily small, it is smaller than the others.