Things to see between Galveston and IAH

PCWalton1

Hello folks

August 2020 we are taking a cruise on Enchantment out of Galveston. After the cruise our Alaska Air flight does not leave till 7:30 in the evening. So instead of taking a shuttle and sitting for hours in the airport I was looking to grab a rental at the Enterprise in Galveston and drive up. 

So tell me your "must see" sights between Galveston and the airport (IAH). What should we not miss seeing? Eating recommendations are welcome too. 😁

Thanks

46 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

Hello folks

August 2020 we are taking a cruise on Enchantment out of Galveston. After the cruise our Alaska Air flight does not leave till 7:30 in the evening. So instead of taking a shuttle and sitting for hours in the airport I was looking to grab a rental at the Enterprise in Galveston and drive up. 

So tell me your "must see" sights between Galveston and the airport (IAH). What should we not miss seeing? Eating recommendations are welcome too. 😁

Thanks

You could spend an enjoyable all day on the Island of Galveston  and/or NASA . 

Galveston is a tourist destination with many things to do . 

Edited by ssb

You can drive by the numerous chemical plants and refineries.  Stop in at one or two of the 25k strip malls. Enjoy the never ending Houston traffic and road construction. 😬    But seriously, in addition to what has been mentioned there is also the Kemah boardwalk where you can kill a few hours.

1 hour ago, TruckerDave said:

You can drive by the numerous chemical plants and refineries.  Stop in at one or two of the 25k strip malls. Enjoy the never ending Houston traffic and road construction. 😬    But seriously, in addition to what has been mentioned there is also the Kemah boardwalk where you can kill a few hours.

lol thanks a lot

22 minutes ago, bptex said:

USS Texas and the San Jacinto monument are pretty cool and I'd also consider visiting the Johnson Space Center. 

At some point the Battleship Texas will leave it's current location for repairs (it is over 100 years old!) and will not be returning to its current location. The big question now is where is she going.

Get down here to the island. There is much to do, see and just enjoy. Check with your hotel and see if early check-in is available.

There are some really neat free things to do like Bolivar Ferry. Don't drive your car on, the wait is too long. Instead, park at the lot you enter from the right lane and walk on. The dolphins have been amazing this summer as we watch them when ships and other ferries pass. Stay on board for the return trip. It takes about an hour total.

•  Drive down to Beachtown on the East End. Texas Open Beaches requires beach access and it's a nice walk over to the beach from the free parking.
  •  Take in The Bryan Museum. It's a fantastic collection of Texas history, and reasonably priced.
  •  The Railroad Museum is a nice stop, but their rolling stock is aging poorly.
  •  Seawall Blvd is lined with restaurants and shops as is The Strand area.
  •  Tola's Market is a nice place to grab a beer and sit on The Strand and people watch. In August it's a little hot.
  •  There are many restaurant choices ranging from $10 a meal to major $$$$.
  •  If you see a couple in their 60's walking a Golden Retriever on the Strand stop us and say hello.

.IMG_0567.thumb.JPG.b963b55cd430f49b78c0aa2f7a1a9bf2.JPG

DSC00248.JPG

DSC00269.JPG

DSC00280.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

P8020243.JPG

13902772_10209360046785676_434398015227511427_n.jpg

P2100011.JPG

P8020275-001.JPG

P8040295.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bolt said:

Great info. In late February what kind of weather can you expect?

Kim

Late February in Texas - winter, spring or anything in between. It won't be colder than 20. It won't be warmer than 80. This is based on my 72 winters in Texas!! 😱😳😛

Texas Tillie - Thanks for the response I will wait to a few days before to decide what to pack for our couple of days in Galveston.  Then check right before we leave for the airport 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 11:13 AM, bptex said:

USS Texas and the San Jacinto monument are pretty cool and I'd also consider visiting the Johnson Space Center. 

USS Texas is relocating and going   into a dry dock . Then possibly moving to Galveston . 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 8:20 AM, Texas Tillie said:

Be sure to purchase some Beaver Nuggets!!🤓🤡😎

I have a friend here in MN that makes those. EVERY and I mean EVERY bake sale, they are the first to go.  I tried making them, lets just say I am going to buy them from now on.  LOL  

On one our cruises out of Galveston, we had fog issues.  The ship was supposed to leave on a Sunday but fog prohibited the ship from coming into port until Monday morning.  We decided to spend our whole day at the space center.  We enjoyed it very much.  Luckily the fog lifted and the ship came in Monday and we were able to go on our cruise.  Our seven day cruise turned into a six day cruise with Houston being what I called a port day.

Back a few years ago, I worked part-time as a pier agent for the outsource company RCI used for their shore-side services in the Port of Galveston.  When there was lots of that white stuff in the air on turn-around day, those of us working the RCI terminal considered it "a dirty four-letter word" and spelled it... wait for it...  PHOG. emo3.gif

Kat 🐱

• Haha 1