Revised Final Payment and Cancellation Period

Steelers36

I just tumbled onto this new payment schedule and in searching for a Princess discussion, found a discussion on HAL board, but not something similar here. 

I thought my agency was being aggressive on asking for FP well ahead of 75 day mark for a recently booked Nov, 2019, cruise. 

Turns out it is now 90 days for any cruise after end of September.  I imagine this change was quietly done.  So now only cruises of under 5 days qualify for the 75 day mark.  From 6 thru 24 it is 90 days and over that it is the 120.  It used to be 75 days up to a 29 night cruise and then the 120 kicked in.

If I am going to go on a trip for sure, I don't mind all that much, but it's an extra two weeks off the calendar for decision time if not so sure and have to cancel for refund and for checking for lower fares and such to make changes prior to committing. 

I suppose "everyone" knew this, but I imagine some didn't.  In my case our other future cruises have been booked for a while and both are over 30 nights anyway, which triggers the 120 FP deadline.  Cruises we went on already this year were unaffected.  Just booked the Crown for Nov recently and didn't realize the date in my TA invoice was not an eager collection request. 

Turns out it was the real date and how I was spurred into action to figure this out was they backed the real 90-day deadline up one week and sent out a revised invoice.  Asking for FP a week ahead of Princess deadline is typical because they want to be sure people pay in time (I can do it then or wait).

I imagine the Mother Ship wants to have funds in hand sooner in order to figure out passenger load.  Seems like HAL was already 90 as an example.

Thanks for bringing this up again. It was discussed ‘a while’ ago when it was first announced, but it certainly bears repeating now that the deadline approaches and people may be unaware of the extra 15 days.

For us, personally, it makes very little difference as we often paid well in advance of the 75 day mark. But we also book very far in advance most times, and the 15 days is relatively minor. The bigger impact will come to people who book last minute, people who book multiple options for a single week or two, and people who are more accustomed to paying at the very last minute.

I agree with cherylandtk.

Thank you very much for bringing this up!  Even though it was discussed before not everyone sits on CC (not sure why not though 😊) and would know this change.

Some on CC are not happy when topics are repeated but I am in the boat of any information, no matter when it is shared, is good information.

I don't believe any poster here is in charge of whether topics are repeated or not. 😎

Safe sailing!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, steelers36 said:

I just tumbled onto this new payment schedule and in searching for a Princess discussion, found a discussion on HAL board, but not something similar here. 

I thought my agency was being aggressive on asking for FP well ahead of 75 day mark for a recently booked Nov, 2019, cruise. 

Turns out it is now 90 days for any cruise after end of September.  I imagine this change was quietly done.  So now only cruises of under 5 days qualify for the 75 day mark.  From 6 thru 24 it is 90 days and over that it is the 120.  It used to be 75 days up to a 29 night cruise and then the 120 kicked in.

If I am going to go on a trip for sure, I don't mind all that much, but it's an extra two weeks off the calendar for decision time if not so sure and have to cancel for refund and for checking for lower fares and such to make changes prior to committing. 

I suppose "everyone" knew this, but I imagine some didn't.  In my case our other future cruises have been booked for a while and both are over 30 nights anyway, which triggers the 120 FP deadline.  Cruises we went on already this year were unaffected.  Just booked the Crown for Nov recently and didn't realize the date in my TA invoice was not an eager collection request. 

Turns out it was the real date and how I was spurred into action to figure this out was they backed the real 90-day deadline up one week and sent out a revised invoice.  Asking for FP a week ahead of Princess deadline is typical because they want to be sure people pay in time (I can do it then or wait).

I imagine the Mother Ship wants to have funds in hand sooner in order to figure out passenger load.  Seems like HAL was already 90 as an example.

Ha...I just ran into the same thing on a final payment Friday for an Oct cruise. 90 days as well.

I too thought the TA had the dates wrong.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

I agree with cherylandtk.

Thank you very much for bringing this up!  Even though it was discussed before not everyone sits on CC (not sure why not though 😊) and would know this change.

Some on CC are not happy when topics are repeated but I am in the boat of any information, no matter when it is shared, is good information.

I don't believe any poster here is in charge of whether topics are repeated or not. 😎

Safe sailing!

It is always good to bring up the fact that it has been repeated.

That way a poster can look at the additional threads as well and possibly gain further information. 🤔

No need to chastise.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for pointing that out. Pooh. What to do? I like to cruise. Therefore it is, what it is.

5 days or less cruises: from 60 days prior to sailing changed to 75 days

6-24 days cruises: from 75 days prior to sailing changed to 90 days

25-29 days cruises: from 75 days prior to sailing changed to 120 days

30+ days cruises: no change at 120 days prior to sailing

1 hour ago, cherylandtk said:

Oddly enough, we also have an Oct. 19 cruise....but our due date is still listed as Aug. 5.  Perhaps it was also based on booking dates vs. announcement of the changes??  🤔

My November 2019 cruise booked in December 2017 before the April 2018 changes to final payment is still 75 days before sailing so they apparently grandfathered the change.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1