Can one bring spirits/alcohol on board for in cabin consumption?

TrinaLC

12 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Okay - I've just put on (what some might think is) my "nit-picking hat"....Please don't be too harsh with me!  😨  Sticking with the "O reps" exact words...i.e., "you were allowed to bring 6 bottles of wine on when you embark....." what is the definition of "you"? Is the hypothetical (CYA) 6-bottle limit per "individual cruiser" or per stateroom?  Given the fact that most staterooms are booked and occupied by two people, if "you" meant each person, than that would mean that each stateroom could bring a full case of  private wine onboard (12 bottles per case), with empty bottles replenished in ports along the way, as the cruise progressed, right?  And who, in "officialdom", would actually be "keeping count" of bottles per passenger per stateroom brought on board, anyway?

The two very subjective words..."Moderation" and "reasonable" seem to be the operative controlling terms here.  Personal wine brought and consumed on board is not a "problem".... until it's a "problem".

I asked my original question for a couple that is joining us on our cruise looking for O's official  policy on this.  I know you can bring whatever you want onboard.  I don't care what the O rep says using the word you or whatever. I know what I'm comfortable bringing on. 

It seems many companies today make their policies unclear.  For example:  Southwest regarding saving seats.  They really don't have a clear policy on this.  

That being said, I am bringing on tons of booze, getting sloppy drunk everyday, cutting every line, and being the most obnoxious passenger O has every seen.  LOL  Sorry, couldn't resist.  🤣🤣

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

I asked my original question for a couple that is joining us on our cruise looking for O's official  policy on this.  I know you can bring whatever you want onboard.  I don't care what the O rep says using the word you or whatever. I know what I'm comfortable bringing on. 

It seems many companies today make their policies unclear.  For example:  Southwest regarding saving seats.  They really don't have a clear policy on this.  

That being said, I am bringing on tons of booze, getting sloppy drunk everyday, cutting every line, and being the most obnoxious passenger O has every seen.  LOL  Sorry, couldn't resist.  🤣🤣

And saving seats for everyone in your party ...

19 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

Unclear or unstated policies have  AWAYS been with us, in every walk of life.  An example that I've used before is that  Buffet Restaurants don't specifically  prohibit patrons from removing chafing dishes from the buffet and carrying them back to their table; instead they trust that doing so would be so awkward in the moment  that it won't happen.

Sadly for all of us, gaming the system by exploiting such loopholes is seen as being savvy in today's World, and there is forever an army of bottom feeders desperately searching for their next "score".

The CYA restriction is necessary, if seldom enforced

We will often take advantage of very favorable alc $$ in foreign ports.  It’s common for a bottle of local wine to be less than $10 such that when added to the $25 corkage fee is less than the cheapest bottle to purchase in the GDR.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 11:19 AM, TrinaLC said:

Good lord, CC would cease to exist under that circumstance!

and as the OP, I did do a search on CC before posting. This actually was not the subject of any robust thread that I could find, though I did not exhaust myself. It is also a situation that can change on a dime. Disney for example used to let pax bring on spirits. I’m sure there are many threads to that effect. But it is no longer allowed. 

It 's not like it's different on TCF, Trina 😉

1 hour ago, catsngoats said:

We will often take advantage of very favorable alc $$ in foreign ports.  It’s common for a bottle of local wine to be less than $10 such that when added to the $25 corkage fee is less than the cheapest bottle to purchase in the GDR.

Absolutely!  I agree.

On our first Viking river boat cruise in Oct '03 I was searching for a 240 cord for my laptop and we found a bottle of wine for all of EUR8 ... I don't recall what the exchange rate was back then, but that was pretty cheap.  We didn't mind paying the corkage fee at all and it turned out to be a very nice wine!

Doubt we'd find it at that price today, however ... this was in a small town in the Netherlands which could also be a factor...

Mura

4 hours ago, Mura said:

in Oct '03 I was searching for a 240 cord for my laptop and we found a bottle of wine for all of EUR8

IIRC, when Euro was introduced in 2002 it was worth 80 cents - so 8 Euro would be about $6.50 or so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

IIRC, when Euro was introduced in 2002 it was worth 80 cents - so 8 Euro would be about $6.50 or so.

I remember being in Spain and it was certainly under US$1.

9 hours ago, Paulchili said:

That's my recollection as well.  We were driving through France in February 2002 and the exchange rate was around $.80.  We were back in France in November 2002 and it was up to a dollar.  And from there it kept on going up!  (Okay, sometimes down, like now.)

Mura

Hello,

Here is some visual proof that you are "allowed" to bring some spirits aboard. My wife and I were on the Marina last February  on the French Polynesia itinerary.  I had purchased a couple of duty free bottles for our 3 day pre-cruise stay at the Hilton Moorea so I decided to bring them with me when we embarked on the ship. No problems actually. And on the 10 day cruise I think we must have had only 6 drinks total. It was more fun to have cocktails in the Martini lounge than in the room. I left the bottles for the cleaning staff when we disembarked  so I hope they did enjoy the rest. 

P1310493.thumb.JPG.fd86df0edb3b7401b1c7e837eda9727b.JPG