Toiletries on board

tjc73

Kind of an odd question, but I have read in other places (not these boards) that you only get basic amenities on your stateroom (soap, shampoo/conditioner, lotion) if you are booked In certain classes. This seems really odd to me. I’m in an Ocean view cabin on The infinity, which according to some, does not qualify for basic amenities. Please tell me that’s not correct. 

Also - I read on a recent review that none of the shops on board sell basic travel size toiletries like Advil, cough candies, toothpaste, sunscreen etc. Sometimes you forget stuff or run out. I’ve never been on a cruise ship that doesn’t sell the basics ( at a premium of course!). Again, seems very odd. 

Any info is appreciated as I start packing! Thank you! 

The sundries are there but not always on display.  Ask in the shops and they will tell you what they have.

your room should have bar soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion.  You won’t automatically get shower gel but you can probably ask for some if the bar soap isn't sufficient.

While it is true that basic sundries tend to be stocked for sale aboard ship--Alakegirl is correct; sometimes they're not displayed and you need ask--you might consider picking up items you've forgotten or that need replenishment while in port...  Oftentimes you can make those landside purchases at a fraction of the cost aboard ship...

• Like 1

Your cabin will have the standards, soap, shampoo, and conditioner. Depending on class, it might be an upgraded version.

In terms of sundries, it would be in your best interest to pack appropriately. Otherwise, you might want to find a pharmacy in port. I once had to go to a pharmacy in Grand Cayman for a bottle of Pepto.

5 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Your cabin will have the standards, soap, shampoo, and conditioner. Depending on class, it might be an upgraded version.

In terms of sundries, it would be in your best interest to pack appropriately. Otherwise, you might want to find a pharmacy in port. I once had to go to a pharmacy in Grand Cayman for a bottle of Pepto.

Good point to bring along the pharmacy basics. Basic pain relief, antacids, etc.  In an emergency you can find a limited number of these things on ship and they are expensive.  It is not always easy to find a convenient pharmacy in some ports.

I like stopping in Old  San Juan as there is a Walgreens and CVS right across where the ship docks.  Great for picking up items forgotten.  They also  do sell basic items in the ship's store.

we have started travelling with a travel/hotel size bottle of shampoo and a hotel size bar of soap.  We are not body wash lovers....and we find that some shampoos provided are just nothing more than body wash or so close it doesn't matter (check out the celebrity labels if you get those little blue bottles of "celebrity" brand toiletries).

They take up little room, and it's surprising how often we actually use them.

20 hours ago, keesar said:

I like stopping in Old  San Juan as there is a Walgreens and CVS right across where the ship docks.  Great for picking up items forgotten.  They also  do sell basic items in the ship's store.

Yes this is a very good option there.  No need to pack heavier liquids in your luggage like contact lens solution if you can go to a convenient pharmacy before you board or at the first port.