Chef's Table wine pairing - Xiang?

zitsky

8 minutes ago, lextrvlr said:

With regard to the Silver drinks package and wine selection, it was interesting to note on our recent cruise on The Star that on our first night in The Restaurant I took advantage of the package and ordered an Old Vine Zinfandel from the list, definitely not the wine being offered that night. However, when leaving the dining room I noticed some folks at a nearby table whom we knew from our pre-cruise extension. As I stopped to say hello, our waiter was offering the remains of my Zin as their complimentary ( non Silver) red. A few nights later we were served a pleasant white as one of our “Premium” selections in the Chef's Table. Liking it, I asked the next night, in The Restaurant, if it might be available. Our waiter chuckled and said that it was being offered as their regular selection that evening. It became evident that the premium selections of wines, with the Silver package, were no different in quality than the regular offerings, and are limited to the few wines on the list being offered for $6.00 per glass. True, you have the advantage of a selection. The Silver package certainly has other advantages including negating the $25 pp charge in the Chef's Table. I got my value in Maker's Marks. If, however, wine is important to you, I would suggest buying it by the bottle on or off the ship.

They were using the rest of your wine and serving it to others?  That seems really tacky.   Did you order a bottle?

46 minutes ago, zitsky said:

They were using the rest of your wine and serving it to others?  That seems really tacky.   Did you order a bottle?

No. They simply used the remainder as only two glasses had been poured from it. It was one of the premium selections. I don't fault Viking for doing this. My point was that the quality of the wines available with the Silver packaging is no better than those being offered as regulars. The wines offered only by the bottle are much better and much more expensive.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 1:39 PM, zitsky said:

Ok thank you.  Well it will be interesting.  I'm doing CT on day 4 and Manfreddi's on day 5 of a 15 day cruise.  Maybe other times if I can get reservations. 

Wish they had some Opolo or Tablas Creek on the menu but I doubt it.

Well I didn't have the package but I do know that some of the premium wines were served in CT as part of standard meal.  I love the Uby 4.  No extra charge when offered in CT as normal pairing but is charged for in other venues.  That might be because it is only offered for one course at CT

On 8/5/2019 at 5:01 PM, Dauntless said:

Well I didn't have the package but I do know that some of the premium wines were served in CT as part of standard meal.  I love the Uby 4.  No extra charge when offered in CT as normal pairing but is charged for in other venues.  That might be because it is only offered for one course at CT

I really hope I get to try that Uby 4.  If it's like the Yadkin Valley Jones von Drehle Petit Manseng, it should be very good.

Have tried the premium and standard wines at chef’s table and both have always been good with generous pours and refills. In fact we had trouble drinking our paired wines before the next course came out! 

6 hours ago, aronde said:

Have tried the premium and standard wines at chef’s table and both have always been good with generous pours and refills. In fact we had trouble drinking our paired wines before the next course came out! 

Don't let them take my glass away!!

Yes, we are just back from into the Midnight Sun on the Viking Sun.  We had the Silver Spirits package and had great difficulty getting the chardonnays we wanted in the dining room. They sometimes took so long that we thought they were running to the Explorers Lounge to find our wine. I just say the "premium " wines were not all that special.  Not sure if I would purchase that package again.

3 hours ago, bobitegirl said:

Yes, we are just back from into the Midnight Sun on the Viking Sun.  We had the Silver Spirits package and had great difficulty getting the chardonnays we wanted in the dining room. They sometimes took so long that we thought they were running to the Explorers Lounge to find our wine. I just say the "premium " wines were not all that special.  Not sure if I would purchase that package again.

Since wine would be our main reason to upgrade, did you sample the included wines as well the SS wines?  I have always felt that the upgraded wines just aren’t really all that great when I have looked at the list in the past, but I am not sure how they really compare to the currently included wines.  I do understand that the wines (both included and possibly SSP) will be different in various geographic regions, but maybe some current sailing comparisons from different areas might be Helpful? 

1 minute ago, Vineyard View said:

Will look forward to your feedback. What area of our world are you traveling? 

I know that we will still sample both included and SSP wines when we board before we decide. 

If you're asking me, I will be on Mediterranean Odyssey. 

Thank you zitsky. My understanding and some experience is that area may lend to some better quality wines, as well as South America and other geographic areas, whereas cruises in the Caribbean and possibly Amazon (just a couple examples) could be more challenged in local supplies of better wines. And yes, It would be great to hear your feedback!