Chef's Table wine pairing - Xiang?

zitsky

I'd be interested to hear about wine pairing for other menus, but right now we're signed up for Xiang.  Are they generous for their wine pours @ $25 or is it one sip and that's it?  Is the wine pairing listed on the menu or do they tell you as they bring each one?

I was recently at an Asian restaurant that did wine pairing with Tablas Creek wines.  So I'm curious what Viking does.

Edited by zitsky

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I'd be interested to hear about wine pairing for other menus, but right now we're signed up for Xiang.  Are they generous for their wine pours @ $25 or is it one sip and that's it?  Is the wine pairing listed on the menu or do they tell you as they bring each one?

I was recently at an Asian restaurant that did wine pairing with Tablas Creek wines.  So I'm curious what Viking does.

Zitsky - I’d be interested also.  We are planning this next cruise to get the silver drink package.  We had it last winter on Caribbean cruise and some good Australian wines but very disappointed in the California wines.  They were featuring Gnarly Head which is $9 Lodi California wine.

now if they had Tablas Creek... my oh my!  Our hometown winery and an absolute favorite!  They introduced Rhône’s to the Paso Robles area many years ago - and are excellent (IMHO)

I have a case of Tablas Creek at home.  I have a distributor in Raleigh who carries it.

Agree about Lodi.  I have been researching Viking wine list to get an idea what to expect.

Edited by zitsky

Something I've not seen discussed here is wine in the Chef's Table. While everyone is aware that house selected wine and beer is complementary at lunch and dinner with generally a choice of white or red in MDR, Café, etc.  In the Chef's Table there is a complementary and a premium wine pairing.  Even if you do not choose the premium wine pairing, there is a different wine poured with each course.  The menus presented at the beginning of the meal, detail the offerings in both the house and premium pairings allowing you to make an informed decision.  We had the SSB package so I can't speak definitively, but we had no problem with having our glasses topped off a bit if we needed more on any given course.  Personal observation:  we had the Xiang menu and the premium wines were quite nice with the exception of the dessert course (it was extremely sweet to the point I could not drink it).  This was not a problem as the server noted my face when I tasted it and brought something else.

I have a copy of the optimal Premium Wine Pairings that we’re offered with the Xiang menu in 2018:

Loberger, Riesling, Vieilles, Vignes

Alsace, France

Overstone, Sauvignon Blanc

Marlborough, New Zealand

Leone de Castries, Primitivo

Aoulia, Italy

Uby Gros & Petit Manseng

Gascony, France

Standard pour, but I believe they will refill a glass if you ask.

The included wines:

Muscadet Sevre etc Maine sure Lie, France

Brise Marine White, France

Basiano Tempranillo, Spain 

Uby, Gros & petit Manseng, France

Edited by AuntieWerewolf10
Additional info

I have the premium wine pairings from the Xiang menu (actually all CT menus) on Viking Jupiter from a month ago. Unfortunately they are at home, and I am not. I will update this evening.

They are generous pours, and if you want more, they are happy to oblige. The sommelier would actually come by when he(/she) notices you've emptied your glass, and before removing it (since you will get a new glass for each wine) will ask if you want any more. We did on a couple occasions, and I think Xiang was one of them.

We did have the SSBP, which meant we didn't have to pay the $25 upcharge, but I don't expect that would have changed the service.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ok thanks for the replies.  Viking should do dinner theater so you never miss a show.

Petit Manseng is grown in North Carolina.  Some of it is quite good.

Edited by zitsky

On the Midnight Sun cruise in 2018, the pairings for Xiang were:

Premium

Selbach-Oster, Riesling Kabinett from Moselle

Chateau Recougne, Sauvignon Blanc-Semillion from Bordeau

Cune Crianza, Rioja, Spain

Cristina, Moscato D'Asti, Piedmont, Italy

Standard

Muscadet Sevre et Maine sur Lie, France

Bruse Marine White, France

Basiano Tempranillo, Spain

Uby, Gros & Petit Manseng, France

So apparently the wines change.  The pours are generous and repetitive.  We had the Silver Spirits Package.  In the MDR they even recommended after dinner drinks.  The Lemoncello was out of this world.  Our group of four usually had a long relaxing dinner being served somewhere.  One try at World Cafe and we unanimously agreed that for dinner we want to be waited upon.  Hmmm probably why we didnt make it to many shows.

Yes they do change. We’ve been on 3 cruises in 12 months - in different areas, and never had the same wines offered in chefs table.  Even the daily wines are different...    I imagine that some of the wines might depend on location.  We had some Spanish wines when going along Spain. 

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes they do change. We’ve been on 3 cruises in 12 months - in different areas, and never had the same wines offered in chefs table.  Even the daily wines are different...    I imagine that some of the wines might depend on location.  We had some Spanish wines when going along Spain. 

Furthermore, the wine steward on our last cruise was pleased to offer alternatives if a wine did not delight us with no limits on refills.  It was the World Cruise and after he served us several times in all four restaurant venues his alternatives were always delicious and delightful.  We did have the SBB.  

11 hours ago, zitsky said:

Viking does not know how to pour just a sip. I know. I have tried many times to get them to do just that. Even worse, as soon as they see my glass is almost empty, they try and fill it. I can't win! 🍷

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From Viking Jupiter, Into The Midnight Sun, 16 June, 2019:

Erling's Scandinavian Bistro

- Overstone Pinot Noir (New Zealand)

- Bergen Aquavit

- Maison Castel Cotes du Rhone (France)

- Vin Santo Valdichiana (Tuscany)

Xiang

- Chateau Sainte Michelle Riesling (Washington USA)

- Chateau Recougne, Sauvignon Blanc-Semillion (Bordeaux France)

- Cabernet Franc, Carmenere, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon (Chile)

- Cristina Ascheri, Moscato d'Asti (Italy)

Asian Panorama

- Cortez Giara Pinot Grigio (Italy)

- Clos Perdiz Chardonnay & Viogner (Chile)

- Nederburg The Winemaster' Pinotage (South Africa)

- Domaine Uby 4 [Gros & Petit Manseng] (France)

Mexico

- Luberon Rouge [Grenache, Syrah] (Rhone France)

- Mer Soleil Chardonnay (Santa Barbara County, USA)

- Cune Crianza Tempranillo (Spain)

- Sandeman Fine Ruby Port (Portugal)

La Route Des Indes

- Altano Branco [Malvasia, Moscatel] (Portugal)

- Luberon Blanc (Southern Rhone France)

- Brazin Old Vine Zinfandel (Lodi USA)

- Cristina Ascheri, Moscato d'Asti (Italy)

Are these the standard or the premium wines?
Those were the premiums.
We had the SS package, so premiums were included.
We were only ever presented the premium pairings sheet (it is inserted into the menu) and never saw the "standard" pairings, and they weren't on the food menus.

7 hours ago, just_dont said:

Those were the premiums.
We had the SS package, so premiums were included.
We were only ever presented the premium pairings sheet (it is inserted into the menu) and never saw the "standard" pairings, and they weren't on the food menus.

Was the origin of each wine listed on the menu e.g. Lodi or did you research that?

Was there a similar menu for the included wines or was it just the Premium?  Some of these seem nice.  I like the riesling but then doing Moscato on top is just too much sweetness.

See post #17 above [emoji6]

The Moscato dessert pairing was really good (as was the Port pairing with the chocolate dessert on the Mexican menu). But we tend to enjoy sweet wines.

Thanks.  I would prefer port to moscato.  Some moscato is so sweet that it makes my teeth hurt.

This does make me want to try CT.  I have my one reservation. 

Standard wines are in post #10.  Forgot about that.

Edited by zitsky

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

Was there a similar menu for the included wines or was it just the Premium?  Some of these seem nice.  I like the riesling but then doing Moscato on top is just too much sweetness.

Zitsky -

For Chef's Table, they did list the standard wines that would be paired with each course that evening.  There was also a sheet that listed the premium wines.  Thus, if you did not have the Silver package, you could then make an informed decision if you wanted to do the premium just for that dinner (at $25/person).

The origins of the wine were listed next to the wine on the menu.

From the post earlier by Just_Dont . . .    for example, I see they now put in another Lodi Zinfandel wine

- Brazin Old Vine Zinfandel (Lodi USA)

not one of my favorites (about $11-12 retail in California)....

Ok thank you.  Well it will be interesting.  I'm doing CT on day 4 and Manfreddi's on day 5 of a 15 day cruise.  Maybe other times if I can get reservations. 

Wish they had some Opolo or Tablas Creek on the menu but I doubt it.

Edited by zitsky

With regard to the Silver drinks package and wine selection, it was interesting to note on our recent cruise on The Star that on our first night in The Restaurant I took advantage of the package and ordered an Old Vine Zinfandel from the list, definitely not the wine being offered that night. However, when leaving the dining room I noticed some folks at a nearby table whom we knew from our pre-cruise extension. As I stopped to say hello, our waiter was offering the remains of my Zin as their complimentary ( non Silver) red. A few nights later we were served a pleasant white as one of our “Premium” selections in the Chef's Table. Liking it, I asked the next night, in The Restaurant, if it might be available. Our waiter chuckled and said that it was being offered as their regular selection that evening. It became evident that the premium selections of wines, with the Silver package, were no different in quality than the regular offerings, and are limited to the few wines on the list being offered for $6.00 per glass. True, you have the advantage of a selection. The Silver package certainly has other advantages including negating the $25 pp charge in the Chef's Table. I got my value in Maker's Marks. If, however, wine is important to you, I would suggest buying it by the bottle on or off the ship.

• Like 1