Why Are These Cruises So expensive?

LewiLewi

8 hours ago, creativegenius said:

I have been one of the biggest defenders of the pricing and the value here on these boards, but after re-running the numbers, I have to say even I am questioning the value.  

When a new cruise line starts, they can charge whatever they want to, and if ships are full, why shouldn't they. Eventually the ships won't be full, and VV will have to decide to reduce prices and run half-full.  I would NEVER sign up for a cruise when the sailings haven't even started, not even mentioning the coronavirus in that. You haven't read even one honest review yet, and supply-and-demand is definitely not in motion. Its like a stock IPO or like a new building development before sales go on the open market. The "REAL" price is not really known. Wait a few months and you'll see the actual price sailings go for. At this point you are just lining Richard's pocket so you can be "first." 

Edited by ano
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ano said:

When a new cruise line starts, they can charge whatever they want to, and if ships are full, why shouldn't they. Eventually the ships won't be full, and VV will have to decide to reduce prices and run half-full.  I would NEVER sign up for a cruise when the sailings haven't even started, not even mentioning the coronavirus in that. You haven't read even one honest review yet, and supply-and-demand is definitely not in motion. Its like a stock IPO or like a new building development before sales go on the open market. The "REAL" price is not really known. Wait a few months and you'll see the actual price sailings go for. At this point you are just lining Richard's pocket so you can be "first." 

First off, we chose to sail in August because that's after the initial price drop. If we wanted to sail first we would have sailed in April.

We have watched and read reviews from reviewers who views align with ours. The ship hasn't been under sail yet, but the difference between the expectations and what is 'real' are different.

The "REAL" price is know. $522/night for our 5 day sail. That's a real price for 5 nights to sail in August.

The ships are not full now, it's obvious from the sales campaign they are not selling nearly as well as they had hoped. The loss of Cuba as a destination has definitely hurt the initial bookings.

We've been cruising for 18 years, we're fully aware of how things work with a new ship and a new cruise line. The difference between expectations and reality are more striking than expected. 

On 3/9/2020 at 2:41 PM, creativegenius said:

I have been one of the biggest defenders of the pricing and the value here on these boards, but after re-running the numbers, I have to say even I am questioning the value.  

We're booked for a 5 night Mayan Sol in August, Sea Terrace room. Total is $2610 for the two of us or $522/night.

We've never spent $522/night for any of our 13 cruises for any of our cabins. Balconies, Mini-Suites and even our last cruise on Celebrity in the Aqua Class suite. Comparing that 5 night sail against 7 and 8 nights cruises leaving the time window from Miami / Ft. Lauderdale / Port Canaveral (NCL, MSC, Celebrity, Royal) and it's clear that my original assessment that the costs even out due to the included benefits is not entirely correct.

We can cancel this cruise, lose the deposit, book an 8 night cruise on some of the others and still save money or pay the same fee. In some cases with drinks and wifi included. Plus be on a ship for 3 more nights. Not saying we will but we are seriously considering it because based on what we're seeing on all the vlogs, the food on Scarlet Lady looks amazing, the crew looks super friendly, but the rest is leaving us underwhelmed.

We're trying to decide if the food makes the trip worth $522/night or we should consider a different ship.  

I have to respect your willingness to reconsider your position.  Most people express an opinion and stick to it doggedly no matter what.   I've followed this board for some time and have noticed that your posts have been very supportive of VV.  I've been really curious to see if your opinions changed once you sailed.  For this reason, I kinda hope you stick with it.  I think your review would be very informative. 

14 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I have to respect your willingness to reconsider your position.  Most people express an opinion and stick to it doggedly no matter what.   I've followed this board for some time and have noticed that your posts have been very supportive of VV.  I've been really curious to see if your opinions changed once you sailed.  For this reason, I kinda hope you stick with it.  I think your review would be very informative. 

Thanks so much for the kind words. I was the one who kind of started this forum when I asked "Is there going to be a VV Forum?" and it ended up being moved over here as the first post. 🙂

We are 50/50 right now.  Looking into the MSC Seaside, Royal Harmony and Symphony of the Seas, Carnival Horizon and NCL Breakaway as alternatives.  We have two weeks till final payment to decide. 

24 minutes ago, garymfreedman said:

I keep checking the Sea Terrace for my cruise and pricing has not changed....Still $3,400...

I've noticed most of the cruise lines are holding firm on fares, trying their best to maintain pricing integrity.   At least for now.  Value-adds are being offered (OBC's, free grats, free drink package, etc) but pricing has not yet gone to bargain basement for the most part (with a few exceptions).  

There have been tons of cancelations on my crossing next week.  The sailing was sold out.  Now every cabin category is available ... the price hasn't changed.  Still a bit pricey in my book.  I think they know no one is booking right now at least for a cruise next week, so they are not even bothering with trying to sell it.  

We have been cruising on Oceania the past few years. It doesn't bother us but we do stand out being mid 30s. We are interested in Virgin. Like the food focused non gimmicky, relatively inclusive offering. However the price point is similar to O but we are unsure if the same experience can be expected. The current cruise offerings are of no interest. We are looking to try Azamara for unique ports and destinations.

Love to try Virgin someday but at the current pricing we would expect an interesting and unique itinerary.

On 3/10/2020 at 6:23 PM, Chris86 said:

We have been cruising on Oceania the past few years. It doesn't bother us but we do stand out being mid 30s. We are interested in Virgin. Like the food focused non gimmicky, relatively inclusive offering. However the price point is similar to O but we are unsure if the same experience can be expected. The current cruise offerings are of no interest. We are looking to try Azamara for unique ports and destinations.

Love to try Virgin someday but at the current pricing we would expect an interesting and unique itinerary.

I'm looking at this from a similar vantage point. I'm really liking the food menus and pictures. If they can keep up the quality over the next year, we'll be considering it. We are in our lower 30s and just can't stomach the slop NCL and others are serving these days. Azamara is on my short list too, along with U by Uniworld (river) and Amadeus (river). Viking River is currently our go to, but we'd like to find a somewhat faster paced group for the tours...