Why Are These Cruises So expensive?

LewiLewi

We have been on well over a hundred cruises. The short amount of time and the nothing special ports on this Scarlet Lady cruise ship don"t add up to the cost of these cruises.

Why would anyone pay this much for a short nothing cruise?

• Like 1

If I'm recalling correctly, the prices stated on the VV website are by cabin -- not per-person, like most cruises list them. They should probably say that -- in BOLD print--  so folks don't get 'sticker shock', when pricing their cruises.

• Like 1

Yes it is more expensive.   Oct 2020, inside cabin $170/person/night.  No specialty dining, no buffets, includes gratuity. No one under 18 yrs of age.

When defining something as overpriced, what do you compare it to?   Are you comparing Carnival rates, HAL rates, RCL or a more premium line like Seabourne, Azmara?   Everything has value and each of us determine that value whether its a new ship, new experience, new food options,   ship amenities, etc etc  

I realize I am comparing apples to oranges, but it does apply.   I am going to NYC and staying in Manhattan in October this year with the sole purpose of going to a Broadway show.    My hotel is going to cost $340/night in the heart of Manhattan.    I have the option of staying in NJ, or outside the city for probably $120/night.   But then all I am doing is riding the subway or public transport all the time of getting into and out of the city.    But it has value for me that I am staying in the heart of the city.   Does it kill me that I have to pay that much for a place to sleep and change clothes......of course.    But I choose to because for me, its all the experience.

I look at the experience on VV the same way......and based on their advertising,  its going to be an experience that I don't want to miss.

• Like 7

I have been on every major cruise line and I know the price absolutely fluctuates depending on the line.

For what VV is charging, I would expect this cruise to be one of the best. Hope you’re not disappointed.

Not everyone has been on well over 100 cruises.  I live in Australia,  have been on two cruises, and have never been to Mexico. While it may be a ‘nothing’ port to you, I’m super excited to see a new part of the world so far from home. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

I have been on every major cruise line and I know the price absolutely fluctuates depending on the line.

For what VV is charging, I would expect this cruise to be one of the best. Hope you’re not disappointed.

I have a royal cruise and a virgin cruise booked back to back next year and my virgin cruise is cheaper per person per night

We did RCCL last year and were very underwhelmed.  The things we felt we were missing in what we'd hoped were in our vacation are all being promoted by VV.  I booked the day then went on sale in February.  We didn't feel it's overpriced at all, compared to how we felt after our RCCL cruise.

• Like 2

They have awesome solo accommodations... much better than NCL and very price competitive.  They include, some drinks, WiFi, gratuities, all dining is included and a spa like no other.  Best of all is adults only!  As a solo traveling adult this is the best deal out there!!  Booking soon

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

4 night cruise Over $3,500 for two to have a cabin with a port hole and no real bed. 

Only the inaugural cruise has prices that high, and even then it's for a balcony cabin as they are currently sold out (or not offering) inside or sea view rooms.

• Like 1

Just now, timf2001 said:

Only the inaugural cruise has prices that high, and even then it's for a balcony cabin as they are currently sold out (or not offering) inside or sea view rooms.

Available or not. it is or was the price for a port hole.

10 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Available or not. it is or was the price for a port hole.

What are you talking about?  The website literally says starting at $3550 for a Sea Terrace.

Now you try to throw the "or was" in there.  Can you offer any proof that a "port hole" room was offered for "over $3,500"?

Your pathetic attempts to turn this forum into a negative place for everyone are insufferable enough, but if you must continue to post on a forum for a cruise line on which you will never sail, could you at least do so with some accuracy?

• Like 9

What is it about VV that makes people who have no intention of ever sailing on VV come to the VV board to complain or make snarky remarks?  It is so weird to me.  If you don't think it is worth the price, don't book it.  We are booked on the first cruise out of Miami and the total for our Sea Terrace including taxes and fees is $3706.  Is that more than I would ever spend for a 4 day cruise normally?  Yes, it is.  I am paying a premium to be on the first cruise.  

• Like 10

1 hour ago, aimee0715 said:

What is it about VV that makes people who have no intention of ever sailing on VV come to the VV board to complain or make snarky remarks?  It is so weird to me.  If you don't think it is worth the price, don't book it.  We are booked on the first cruise out of Miami and the total for our Sea Terrace including taxes and fees is $3706.  Is that more than I would ever spend for a 4 day cruise normally?  Yes, it is.  I am paying a premium to be on the first cruise.  

They're old people who feel the world has left them behind. Cruising was their safe space and it feels like an attack on that

Edited by hotsauce126
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, aimee0715 said:

We are booked as well for a similar price in an XL and really looking forward to it!  There are also some good throw ins like wifi etc.....that brings our price way down technically. 

I could mention some cruise lines I would not travel on but I have yet to EVER post there.   It's not my place to put people down who want to spend their own money that way.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

When the ships are ready to set their sails, we will see, if Virgin can fill it with "payload" for these fares 🙂

If not the fares will go down. If not during the first weeks, then later. They always have. In the first season, everyone wants to see the new things. Has been the same when the Oasis Class was new, today we see the same with Celebrity Edge...

On 7/31/2019 at 5:28 PM, LewiLewi said:

We have been on well over a hundred cruises. The short amount of time and the nothing special ports on this Scarlet Lady cruise ship don"t add up to the cost of these cruises.

The cost of a 5 day cruise is about the same as a 7 day cruise on any other cruise line. The difference being that all food, soft drinks and internet are included.  Factor in upcharges for specialty dining, internet and soft drinks on other cruise lines and the costs are about the same.  We booked in August 2020 after the prices drop back down to 'normal' vs the first few months which are a premium for the 'newness.' 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2019 at 6:42 PM, aimee0715 said:

Hope you have a great time. Please post when you return and tell us about it.  Worth it or not? 

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 4:28 PM, LewiLewi said:

I have been on well over 1,000 cruises.

Why do cruisers go to Diamond and Emerald shops in St Thomas and Alaska and pay twice as much for dubious quality gems that they could find at home for far less money? Have you seen any Diamond mines in the Caribbean or Alaska?

Why do mass market cruisers stuff themselves with food until they are ill - just because it is "free"?

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 12:26 PM, Donald said:

I have been on well over 1,000 cruises.

Why do cruisers go to Diamond and Emerald shops in St Thomas and Alaska and pay twice as much for dubious quality gems that they could find at home for far less money? Have you seen any Diamond mines in the Caribbean or Alaska?

Why do mass market cruisers stuff themselves with food until they are ill - just because it is "free"?

I guess we all want something for nothing, or we think it is not knowing we are paying for it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just did mock bookings for August, 2020, on both Virgin (8/2 sailing) and NCL (8/23) for a five night cruise, both in a mid-ship balcony.

VV prices per cabin, with taxes and fees is $2,660. Gratuities included.

NCL price was calculated using only two promos, the wifi (free on VV) and specialty dining (free on VV). I did not include the drink package or other promos on NCL. NCL price for a mid-ship balcony, for two people was $2,519, but you have to add the daily service charge of $15 per person per day to that, so it's $2,669.

To recap, ladies and gentlemen:

Virgin: $2,660

NCL: $2,669

The variable here is the drinking. We don't take the drink package on NCL because they charge $19.80/day each for a gratuity on the retail value of the package, and we don't have a drink every day. That would add $198 to the cruise cost for NCL. IF the drinks on Virgin will cost you more than $198, then NCL's cruise is probably a better deal.

But Virgin is not really overpriced any time I do this calculation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm booked on the Scarlet Lady in October this year and can't wait despite not being their target market age (I'll be 55!!). I'm an experienced NCL solo traveler and I have to say that £ for £ Virgin are roughly the same in cost!

The studio cabins on VV are slightly larger but it's the fact that all the 'higher end' restaurants are included as are all soft drinks, tea, coffee and water. I'm having a reunion with a couple of friends from the US (all solos!) that I made on a Christmas 2018 NCL cruise and we are going to parrrrrrty! 🤣

• Like 2