Should I call about my air?

Jasonmom

When I booked I thought we would find out about air at 90 days out.  By my readings on here I figured out it was 60 days out.  I'm now 59 days out and it is making me anxious.  Should I go ahead and call and see what I can find out?  How long are people on hold these days? (I know last month people were talking about being on hold over 2 hours)

Thanks for any opinions (even those who will say chill out and give it more time) 😎

Never hurts to call but try calling first thing in the morning.  I think NCL Premium Air opens at 9 am Eastern time.  Last I’ve read is people are being told 45-60 days out but I would not like waiting too long either.

If you are nervous and it is bugging you, call. If being on hold for a long time would bother you more, I'd say give it another week. 

I was nervous about mine and at 56 days out my edocs finally popped up, but no air information. So I got nervous and called. I was on hold for a while, but not too long. As soon as I started talking to the rep, he was able to push out my air information to me in an email. He didn't know why it didn't show up in the edocs. Then two days later I did receive my official email from NCL with my air information and it was also in my edocs then. So, if I had just waited until 54 days out I would have received it through the normal email process. 

I was still happy I called because it was bugging me and once I had the air info I was able to relax a bit. 

3 minutes ago, Janetonboard said:

I was nervous about mine and at 56 days out my edocs finally popped up, but no air information. So I got nervous and called. I was on hold for a while, but not too long. As soon as I started talking to the rep, he was able to push out my air information to me in an email. He didn't know why it didn't show up in the edocs. Then two days later I did receive my official email from NCL with my air information and it was also in my edocs then. So, if I had just waited until 54 days out I would have received it through the normal email process. 

I was still happy I called because it was bugging me and once I had the air info I was able to relax a bit

I had the same thing happen. I called at 43 days.

Go ahead and call. Vacations are not supposed to be stressful. Once I got my air sorted I felt much better.

Steven

Don't worry, I wasn't on hold for over two hours yesterday or today, just for 15 minutes or so until they hung up on me!  I'm about where you are timewise and will continue to call.  I need hotel for the day before, and rates will continue to go up.

I too ran into the same problem and had my TA contacted NCL about 43 days out. She emailed me flight info with locator number. I 3 days later -I got the confirmation email from NCL and edocs updated.   

First time I used reduced air it was like 17 days out and I kept calling TA several weeks prior to no avail!

IF I use the reduced air from NCL can I pick the day I want to fly?  Is it usually non-stop or are there big layovers.  I am traveling with my 88 year old mom and it is stressful for her with the layovers

25 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

I wouldn’t let ncl plan my airfare.   I hate the unknown and would rather pay a little more for security in knowing when and how I’m flying.    

I understand. That is normally how I feel also. But I decided to take the money I saved and choose a normal balcony cabin over a  a GTY one. I prefer to have control over where I am for 7 days than for just a few hours. But that's just me.

19 hours ago, Jasonmom said:

When I booked I thought we would find out about air at 90 days out.  By my readings on here I figured out it was 60 days out.  I'm now 59 days out and it is making me anxious.  Should I go ahead and call and see what I can find out?  How long are people on hold these days? (I know last month people were talking about being on hold over 2 hours)

Thanks for any opinions (even those who will say chill out and give it more time) 😎

It isn't going to hurt for you to call. You may be on the phone for a long time, but still give it  shot. I do know some passengers get all the information including seat assignments months in advance, others toward the very end just prior to sailing. 

15 hours ago, deppong said:

IF I use the reduced air from NCL can I pick the day I want to fly?  Is it usually non-stop or are there big layovers.  I am traveling with my 88 year old mom and it is stressful for her with the layovers

I share your concern; I'm traveling with my 91year old mother.  I took the free air promotion and $25pp air deviation to fly in two days in advance for a Jan 2020 cruise.   Two days for a hedge against weather but am wondering if that opened us up to long layovers - it's too soon to tell.     The placeholder on my reservation is Newark to Charlotte to Miami.   Based on the flight schedule, which I'm guessing is American Airlines, the layover can be as short as 90 minutes or as long as 6 hours.  I called the premium air desk and was told they no longer offer paid air; that there is no option to pay premium for a direct flight or give them the option of a NY or Philadelphia airport as their computer can only handle one option.

I read on these boards that  we might not be seated together, as center seats tend to be assigned; might not have the option of a carryon bag, likely won't be able to upgrade seats -  these possibilities are potential stressors and I haven't told DM as I don't want her to spend the 6 months worrying.  She gets stressed easily these days but once there has a great time - as she did on our EPIC cruise last year.

Right now, the airfare is almost $800 for decent flights so I'm waiting and watching. 

I was told that since it was a free add-on, I could cancel the air once ticketed without penalty. I hope that is correct.  They also said the transfers would take us to any hotel and then to the pier which is a good deal.  

I have hotel reservations in Brickell that can be canceled without penalty, so I may end up purchasing the airfare outright balancing the cost of air against one additional night in Miami - will be more but may be worth it.  

My recommendation is that you call, as NCL is not known for consistent responses.   Based on geography and cruise dates, you may receive a different response. Only you can decide what works for you and what the flight options may be based on your location.  I'm sorry if my post adds to your anxiety.  I hope  you get direct flights and have a wonderful cruise.  

Edited by 17cruisesnsl
Typo

You have to do what you are comfortable with, but if you're not familiar with Charleston, it's a very easy airport to get around in. Even though it's a hub, it's not like Newark or the other mammoth airports. A 90 minute layover would be very easy as long as you didn't have a long delay taking off from Newark.

6 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

You have to do what you are comfortable with, but if you're not familiar with Charleston, it's a very easy airport to get around in. Even though it's a hub, it's not like Newark or the other mammoth airports. A 90 minute layover would be very easy as long as you didn't have a long delay taking off from Newark.

Thanks - the last time I flew to Charlotte, it was on Piedmont and I was in college.   I don't want to think about how many years ago that was! LOL

There is one flight combination that has a 30 minute connection but she needs a wheelchair assist and will have her Rollator gate checked, so I hope they take that into consideration when assigning flights.   

So good news and bad news for us this morning.  Good news - Only on hold for 20 minutes.  Bad news - Cruise now <70 days out and no information on flights.  I know of others on same cruise given flights and being able to pick seats two weeks ago.  Ours hasn't been ticketed, no airport information, nothing.  Party line from NCL is 45 days out

Funny, I seem to remember having to satisfy my part of the cruise contract, you know paying them the $$$, 120 days out.   Hotel rates for flying in the day before continue to climb, so their delay is costing me more money.  I chose this cruise, and another sailing on this line, because the reduced air made it slightly a better deal on a slightly better schedule than something very similar with Celebrity and buying flights separately on my own.  

Now, the refusal to ticket, even though I've paid in full including the reduced air portion, may cost me more especially if I now have to add a hotel night on the end as we are three hours from the airport.  In addition, some flight times being assigned to others are ridiculous.  Leaving on a flight to the departure city at 5:00 a.m., a flight home after the cruise leaving 7-10 hours or more after debarkation, returning home at midnight or later,  different flights for supposedly linked reservations.  It's as though you've selected the beverage package as a "free" perk but have to wait until the cruise to begins to find out if beer, wine or spirits are included and if they are reputable brands or bathtub gin.

This was my first time trying "free or reduced air" with a cruiseline.  Stupid me for not asking exactly when flights would be assigned when booking/paying.   I will not consider "free or reduced air" as a perk or cost savings when comparing cruises and cruise lines in the future.  

NCL is offering free airfare - of course they're going to go with the cheaper flight times! And they can bulk book at different fares than the public has access to that could have more restrictions than regular fares - which is often why you can't switch your flight. 

As for wondering about the hotel for the night before - just book a refundable rate now. Pretty much every major hotel chain lets you cancel for free at least 48 hours in advance if you book the refundable rate (and for hotels it's usually a rather small difference between refundable and non) and then when you get your flight info you'll have plenty of time to cancel.

BTW - if you didn't pay for the diversion to fly in a day early - your flight will more than likely be leaving really early. I would say NCL would want all their flights scheduled to land before noon or 1pm to give them plenty of time to get you to the port and a decent cushion for flight delays. With the cutoff time being later if it's not a 4pm sailaway. 

On 8/1/2019 at 7:51 PM, Ptroxx said:

I wouldn’t let ncl plan my airfare.   I hate the unknown and would rather pay a little more for security in knowing when and how I’m flying.    

A little more maybe, but when the NCL air offer is $99 round trip and booking on our own was going to be $500 or more per person I will gladly take my chances with the cruise line 

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2019 at 7:02 AM, 17cruisesnsl said:

I share your concern; I'm traveling with my 91year old mother.  I took the free air promotion and $25pp air deviation to fly in two days in advance for a Jan 2020 cruise.   Two days for a hedge against weather but am wondering if that opened us up to long layovers - it's too soon to tell.     The placeholder on my reservation is Newark to Charlotte to Miami.   Based on the flight schedule, which I'm guessing is American Airlines, the layover can be as short as 90 minutes or as long as 6 hours.  I called the premium air desk and was told they no longer offer paid air; that there is no option to pay premium for a direct flight or give them the option of a NY or Philadelphia airport as their computer can only handle one option.

I read on these boards that  we might not be seated together, as center seats tend to be assigned; might not have the option of a carryon bag, likely won't be able to upgrade seats -  these possibilities are potential stressors and I haven't told DM as I don't want her to spend the 6 months worrying.  She gets stressed easily these days but once there has a great time - as she did on our EPIC cruise last year.

Right now, the airfare is almost $800 for decent flights so I'm waiting and watching. 

I was told that since it was a free add-on, I could cancel the air once ticketed without penalty. I hope that is correct.  They also said the transfers would take us to any hotel and then to the pier which is a good deal.  

I have hotel reservations in Brickell that can be canceled without penalty, so I may end up purchasing the airfare outright balancing the cost of air against one additional night in Miami - will be more but may be worth it.  

My recommendation is that you call, as NCL is not known for consistent responses.   Based on geography and cruise dates, you may receive a different response. Only you can decide what works for you and what the flight options may be based on your location.  I'm sorry if my post adds to your anxiety.  I hope  you get direct flights and have a wonderful cruise.  

I called NCL and they told me we could cancel air up until final booking.  They also said once flight is assigned to get locator # and go to airline site and change seat assignments.  You can upgrade at that time also.  Not sure how true this is but we are going to take a chance.  Airfare is 1500.00 pp from Chicago to Barcelona and they are crediting us 599.00.  I guess we can deal with it.  My mom can be cheap so when it comes to money she will do a layover! 🙂