Magic - Questions for anyone who has sailed recently.

Well, I can answer some of your questions.

Yes, they have the new layer cakes at the Lido buffet every day for lunch only and they are DELICIOUS.  We tried almost all of them and loved every one we tried...the hummingbird cake was awesome, red velvet, raspberry champagne, carrot cake, etc.  The cakes are such a big improvement of deliciousness compared to the dry, tasteless, little desserts they used to have.  Check out the cake selection every day because the cakes are different every day.  They are all beautifully decorated, some have butter cream frosting, marshmallow frosting, cream cheese frosting, beautiful mirror glazes.  My mouth is watering just thinking about them.  Please, Carnival, don't get rid of the layer cakes.  I can't say enough about these delicious cakes.  We would also bring a few pieces back to our stateroom to eat later.

The new deli menu is in effect on the Magic...one of the best things I tried from the deli was the hot dogs.  They have sides available for the hot dogs also....chili, sauerkraut, etc.  I would have two hot dogs for lunch with a few pieces of cake, ha!

We did go to the Sea Day Brunch but I can't tell you if it was the new menu or old menu.  They used to put a basket of hot popovers on the table when  you ordered lunch but this time they did not.  However, I asked our waiter if they still make them and he brought us a basket of warm popovers. 

I thought that the aft pool was adults only but another cruise critic member corrected me and said it is not adults only.

I did not see anyone with the whale tale cup.  Maybe someone else can answer this question.

I second that opinion on the hummingbird cake.  It was really good!

I didn't  see the whale tail cup offered but I spent very little time on Lido. Did see the disco ball (my personal favorite) being sold in the main theater.  

I was on the Magic May 2019.  Yes for the amazing cakes at lunch only.  They are a work of decorating art and the ones I tried were darn yummy.  Yes for new deli menu.  Hubby tried a few items and the bites I took of his food were super tasty.  In May, we went to sea day brunch once and it was not the new menu but I think it might be the new menu now.  No, the aft pool was not adults only but the times we did go out there to sit in the hot tubs and swim in the pool, it did seem like there were so many adults that the kids were kicked out.  For once, the adults took over the pool and the kiddos had to leave!!  No hard feelings...all the kiddos were at the other pool and they were having a blast.  I do not remember seeing the whale tail cup.

Anyone stay in an inside cabin that is the vertical looking at the ship.  I didn't know if how the layout makes it harder or nicer.   We was looking on deck 6 in the aft....any thoughts?  Also are the Cloud 9 rooms worth the cost for the benefits?

We are looking to go on this ship for the first time.  We have only done one Carnival ship and after years we've decided to try one agian. 

thank you

Edited by sj25

sj25:  I haven't stayed in one of those staterooms but looked in one that the room steward was cleaning and it seemed to be smaller in square footage but I don't know if it was just the configuration playing tricks on me or if it actually is smaller than a regular interior room.  Sorry I can't answer your question about the Cloud 9 rooms, I'm sure someone will respond.  I'm not a spa person at home and would not spend the extra $$ for a spa room on a ship.

After sailing on the Magic in May, it is now my favorite Carnival ship.  I am Diamond on Carnival and have sailed on almost every ship in the fleet over the years.  If you enjoy sitting on a lounger in the sun or shade, there are so many areas on this ship to do that.  The ship is larger than the conquest and fantasy class ships and sails with more guests but they are spread out all over the open decks so finding empty chairs on deck was never a problem.  The Red Frog Pub was a great place to hang out for a few drinks, they have the Alchemy Bar, Guy's Burgers and BBQ, Seaside Theater, etc.  

17 hours ago, sj25 said:

Also are the Cloud 9 rooms worth the cost for the benefits?

We always book a Cloud 9 cabin on ships that have them. They are well worth the price if you like to spend time in the thermal suite (heated lounge chairs, sauna and steam rooms). Magic also has a thalassotherapy pool, which I have always used every day every time I have cruised on Magic (and Breeze too). 

We did Sea Day Brunch twice on our cruise two weeks ago on the Magic, it was the same menu that we had on the Dream last summer. So no update there. I didn't see any Whale Tail cups, but I didn't really look for them either so can't really answer that, the only one I noticed was a Shark cup and that's only because my granddaughter pointed it out. 

On 8/3/2019 at 11:33 AM, ukittenmerightmeow said:

New Sea day Brunch menu?

As of July 3rd, 2019  Magic is not on the list of the new Sea Day Brunch

Carnival MAgic has the older one

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 11:33 AM, ukittenmerightmeow said:

For anyone who has sailed on her recently...

Does she have...

New cakes at lunch buffet?

New Deli menu?

New Sea day Brunch menu?

Aft pool adult only?

The "whale tail" souvenir cup?

Thanks for any info!

I discovered several years ago that not all souvenir cups are offered every time on every cruise. On our Liberty cruise back in 2013, we wanted two of the whale tail cups. Since I didn't see any on display, I asked a bartender at the Red Frog if the whale tail cups would be offered for sale. She didn't seem to think they would be on that cruise, but said she would check to see if there were any in stock, and to check back with her the next day. Sure enough, she was able to get a couple for us. (Yay!) So, my suggestion is, if you don't see a particular souvenir cup on display, just ask your bartender, either at the Red Frog or the Blue Iguana. You just might get lucky like we did. 

On 8/6/2019 at 10:38 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

We always book a Cloud 9 cabin on ships that have them. They are well worth the price if you like to spend time in the thermal suite (heated lounge chairs, sauna and steam rooms). Magic also has a thalassotherapy pool, which I have always used every day every time I have cruised on Magic (and Breeze too). 

I am anxious to hear this...now which floor would you pick deck 11 or 12 interior Cloud 9 room?

On 8/12/2019 at 2:46 PM, sj25 said:

I am anxious to hear this...now which floor would you pick deck 11 or 12 interior Cloud 9 room?

we always pick deck 12 Spa interior.  It is just one floor up to get to the heated bed, and thalassotherapy, but the good thing about deck 11 is you have cabins above you so less chance of any noise.  We really only book on Carnival inside Spa cabins.

Just got off the Magic on Saturday so if anyone has anything they want to ask feel free to ask.  Just one recent development was that it was the Captain's last cruise on the Magic.  He is taking some time off and then will be the Captain for the Panoramic.  They also mentioned that this was the last cruise for SEVERAL crew members.  Not more specific other then the cruise director Simon London mention that the sound tech was leaving because his wife was having a baby within the next couple days.  In the MDR they also mentioned that it was the Head Chefs last cruise on the Magic also.  Stayed on Deck 2 in a Cove Balcony cabin, 2254.  Port side, VERY close to the forward elevators.

Edited by Marauder40

6 minutes ago, Marauder40 said:

Just got off the Magic on Saturday so if anyone has anything they want to ask feel free to ask.  Just one recent development was that it was the Captain's last cruise on the Magic.  He is taking some time off and then will be the Captain for the Panoramic.  They also mentioned that this was the last cruise for SEVERAL crew members.  Not more specific other then the cruise director Simon London mention that the sound tech was leaving because his wife was having a baby within the next couple days.  Stayed on Deck 2 in a Cove Balcony cabin, 2254.  Port side, VERY close to the forward elevators.

Hi!  I was wondering if they were serving the new Brunch menu.  I am hearing conflicting things.

2 minutes ago, kcparrothead said:

Hi!  I was wondering if they were serving the new Brunch menu.  I am hearing conflicting things.

This was my first ever cruise so don't have experience with the old Brunch menu, but I did a search online for what the new menu looks like and that WASN'T the brunch menu that I saw in the MDR.

10 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

Any talk of what will be done in the next refurb in 9/20?

I brought up the refurb and nobody was sure about what it would entail.  Some figured that it would probably mean the larger Guy's Pig and Anchor and things like that. However at least a couple people said there is talk about it going into refurb at the end of this year instead of next year.  Not sure whether that was just rumors or not.