carnival vista tired looking?

ginger123snaps

Is carnival vista looking "tired" and in need of a refurbishment?  we sailed breeze right before refurbishment and i was grosses out by the ship (things like windows with hair and dirt/grime all over them by the pool).  I was considering the vista but want to make sure it looks "clean" so to speak.  

Thanks in advance.  

You do realize the ship is only 3 years old?

I will admit that with the amount of things that they are having issues with, they probably need to do some maintenance, but it's a few years away from a refurbishment yet.

That being said, we were on her in January and both the atrium funnel and the Display over the pool had several pixels out and the seats in the Imax theatre were already feeling worn and uncomfortable....

Maybe not a refurb so much as a few weeks TLC.

I know the ship is only 3 years old but these ships can get worn and tired looking with so many passengers.  Just curious of her overall indoor condition.  It also depends on staffing...some ships are just cleaner then others.   I just want to make sure before i book vista.  

Unfortunately the staff to passenger ratios have only gone down and the extra TLC that we used to see on our cruises of the past have almost disappeared. This is not a knock on the hard working staff but there is only so much they can do. There are also many more passengers on the vista class ships. 

1 hour ago, ginger123snaps said:

I know the ship is only 3 years old but these ships can get worn and tired looking with so many passengers.  Just curious of her overall indoor condition.  It also depends on staffing...some ships are just cleaner then others.   I just want to make sure before i book vista.  

So far it seems they get about 6 years or so out of a ship before they need a refurb.
Breeze launched in 2011 and went in for a refresh in 2017.

I think it will be at least another couple of years before the Vista gets that.
That is as long as she can keep on the water. 
If they end up with an extended maintenance drydock, then they might as well go ahead and use the pit stop to refresh.

We had zero problems with the cleanliness of the Vista. In fact it seemed cleaner than the Breeze (who we sailed after her refurb).
The only issues I had were electronic (like the missing pixels I mentioned) and not worn carpet/wallpaper or cleanliness.
Everything else seemed in good shape.

It’s still somewhat new so I certainly hope it wouldn’t look tired. Then again, you never know as the Carnival Magic was in horrible shape due to high levels of vandalism during its inaugural transatlantic cruise only months after it launched. At least Carnival repaired it shortly after it reached Galveston.

I found the Vista to be pretty buttoned up... minor things that I often notice in hotels and cruise ship cabins like dirty or worn carpets in the bed area, grimy tiles that are just grungy after a while- grout not very clean etc... upholstery on furniture is tired and worn... in other words, just regular wear & tear- I often see that on other cruiseships but I was delighted to find that most everywhere I looked, Vista was in very nice shape.

Sure there were a few rust spots that surprised me in a couple spots on the balcony, and a couple of the tables on the Lido were marked up, but all in all, I thought she looked pretty good, considering the number of people who travel her every single week!

To me, you're kind of talking about two different things. To say things look worn out & tired and are in need of "refurbishment," as you put it, is much different than areas on board that just need a good cleaning. Dirty windows, to use the example you gave, should be part of regular cleaning throughout a cruise. Things like that are fairly easy to take care of and there's no excuse not to keep them cleaned, in my opinion.

But for those tired & worn out things that would require "refurbishment," it's a lot more complicated. For instance, when many of the ships go into dry dock, they get what's called routine hotel maintenance. Things like new carpet in places, fresh paint, stuff like that. They can't do much of these things during a cruise when there's a few thousand people on board, so they do them when the ship's in dry dock. As much as carpets may need replaced, because they do see a ton of foot traffic, it's not going to happen every few years. They're not going to put a ship in dry dock every few years, or stop sailing for a short time, just to replace worn carpet and things like that, because those things require a lot more work and, ideally, an empty ship. It's way too costly to do it more often.

8 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

To me, you're kind of talking about two different things. To say things look worn out & tired and are in need of "refurbishment," as you put it, is much different than areas on board that just need a good cleaning. Dirty windows, to use the example you gave, should be part of regular cleaning throughout a cruise. Things like that are fairly easy to take care of and there's no excuse not to keep them cleaned, in my opinion.

I agree! There are things that can and should be done on a routine basis and sometimes get neglected... we once had a bedding cover on Magic that was pretty badly ripped on the underside... we pointed it out to the steward and suggested that it should probably be replaced and taken out of service. He was mortified and did that immediately. He made a point of telling me the next day that he scolded his helper who had made the bed up before we embarked, because it should never have been used. I felt kinda bad that his helper got in trouble, but really, it was a bad move.

That same room was pretty rough altogether- like I mentioned earlier, really dingy grout, sink was pretty dinged up, the wallpaper beside the bed had been hacked up by someone... I'm sure glad that the ship got her beauty treatment soon after that!

21 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

But for those tired & worn out things that would require "refurbishment," it's a lot more complicated. For instance, when many of the ships go into dry dock, they get what's called routine hotel maintenance. Things like new carpet in places, fresh paint, stuff like that. They can't do much of these things during a cruise when there's a few thousand people on board, so they do them when the ship's in dry dock. As much as carpets may need replaced, because they do see a ton of foot traffic, it's not going to happen every few years. They're not going to put a ship in dry dock every few years, or stop sailing for a short time, just to replace worn carpet and things like that, because those things require a lot more work and, ideally, an empty ship. It's way too costly to do it more often.

At times maintenance work is done during cruises with guests aboard. On the Miracle a team of non-Carnival contractors were aboard repairing the in cabin wood counter tops by sanding and re-varnishing the gouged and scratched wood. We received a written notice in our cabin the day before the work was to be performed. It was a port day when our cabin was repaired and the contractors were given a block of ten cabins per day by Carnival throughout the cruise. 

We have also been aboard Carnival's Inspiration while it was underway and receiving a major reconstruction of the aft deck below the Serenity Area. The loud metal grinding, acetylene cutting torches and drilling were necessary to install a permanent back up generator after the Splendor fire and power loss.

Additionally, passenger passageways on cabin decks have had the carpet replaced while we were aboard the Carnival Spirit and the Carnival Imagination.

Some maintenance does in fact occur in guest areas during cruises and not always deferred until the next drydock. 

Edited by sanmarcosman

2 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

We have also been aboard Carnival's Inspiration while it was underway and receiving a major reconstruction of the aft deck below the Serenity Area. The loud metal grinding, acetylene cutting torches and drilling were necessary to install a permanent back up generator after the Splendor fire and power loss.

Wow! Necessary maybe but I don't think I'd be thrilled to hear all that while on my cruise!

Just now, Shaded Lady said:

Wow! Necessary maybe but I don't think I'd be thrilled to hear all that while on my cruise!

Believe it or not we were going on many 4 days cruises in 2015 to accumulate cruise days and we booked the Inspiration again 3 weeks later and they were still grinding and drilling throughout the stern of the ship! We were told they were installing a generator that required them  to cut down through all the decks for the power transmission cables to reach the engine room! 

The second time around was worse than the first! Ship happens.

When we were on the Conquest a few years ago, my wife and I went up to one of the higher decks and sat down on a couple loungers. I was looking around and caught movement up high out of the corner of my eye. There was a crew member giving the red portion of the whale tale stacks a fresh coat of paint. It wasn't long before a drop flew our way and I saw it land on the lounger next to me, we got the heck out of there. LOL

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

At times maintenance work is done during cruises with guests aboard. On the Miracle a team of non-Carnival contractors were aboard repairing the in cabin wood counter tops by sanding and re-varnishing the gouged and scratched wood. We received a written notice in our cabin the day before the work was to be performed. It was a port day when our cabin was repaired and the contractors were given a block of ten cabins per day by Carnival throughout the cruise. 

Additionally, passenger passageways on cabin decks have had the carpet replaced while we were aboard the Carnival Spirit and the Carnival Imagination.

Some maintenance does in fact occur in guest areas during cruises and not always deferred until the next drydock. 

I don’t recall what ship it was on, but they replaced the carpet in our cabin during a cruise. Most of the cabins in the same hallway had their carpets replaced too during the cruise. 

• Like 1

So far it seems they get about 6 years or so out of a ship before they need a refurb.

If they end up with an extended maintenance drydock, then they might as well go ahead and use the pit stop to refresh.

We had zero problems with the cleanliness of the Vista. In fact it seemed cleaner than the Breeze (who we sailed after her refurb).
The only issues I had were electronic (like the missing pixels I mentioned) and not worn carpet/wallpaper or cleanliness.

9 minutes ago, Chervil said:

Why the echo?

5 hours ago, Chervil said:

The Breeze didn't have it's first sailing with the public until June 2012.  The usual timeline for a cruise ship's drydock is 5 years.

3 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

The Breeze didn't have it's first sailing with the public until June 2012.  The usual timeline for a cruise ship's drydock is 5 years.

True, but the Vista didn't sail until Nov '16, so she is still less than 3 yrs old.
I was merely referencing build date since you would still get wear and tear from crew and workers on the ship getting her ready and training.

So I suppose you mean 5 years from the first sailing? Which would mean she still has awhile to go yet.

8 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Why the echo?

LOL!

You got me!

Must be a glitch on the website!

I know I have been having trouble with CC not loading properly and keep getting a "something went wrong" screen.
Maybe it hiccuped.
Post count shows identical on them too, even though they were 2 hours apart.
Intriguing....

Edited by Chervil
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

At times maintenance work is done during cruises with guests aboard. On the Miracle a team of non-Carnival contractors were aboard repairing the in cabin wood counter tops by sanding and re-varnishing the gouged and scratched wood.

11 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t recall what ship it was on, but they replaced the carpet in our cabin during a cruise. Most of the cabins in the same hallway had their carpets replaced too during the cruise. 

Yes, it's a lot easier to do something like replace carpets in cabins or do some work in a small area that can be cordoned off. In my previous comment about work that's done while the ship is dry docked, I meant to mention that hotel maintenance often includes painting and replacing carpets in public common areas. Places that see a huge number of passengers congregate or pass through on a regular basis and would be too difficult to work on while the ship is sailing. Since the OP was referring to ships that look tired & worn out, I assumed she meant public spaces since those are seen by more people than individual cabins or cabin hallways. In my head, I meant to say that, but I guess my fingers didn't get the message.

Edited by Organized Chaos

2 hours ago, Chervil said:

LOL!

You got me!

Must be a glitch on the website!

I know I have been having trouble with CC not loading properly and keep getting a "something went wrong" screen.
Maybe it hiccuped.
Post count shows identical on them too, even though they were 2 hours apart.
Intriguing....

Once in a while, I'll compose a post and click submit. The page will refresh, but it'll take me right back to my post composition box with my post still in it. It's very tempting to assume the post failed and hit submit again, but when I scroll up, it did in fact post my comment. If you do hit submit again, it'll post it a second time. There's been all kinds of bugs crawling around here these last couple weeks.

I guess I should be more specific in what I mean by "tired and worn".  I'm referring to cleanliness mostly but also worn chairs/public areas.  I'm still grossed out by that window from Carnival Breeze...dirt, grime, hair....all by taco bar near the pool.  We recently sailed Celebrity Equinox right before refurbishment.....what a difference in the condition of the ship compared to Breeze right before refurbishment.  I know less kids/people and smaller ship on celebrity but still....it was spotless.  Nothing looked worn and other then being "dated" there was no grime in the grout...bathroom was perfect.  I'm a bit of a germ freak so yeah I look at these things.