Chog-ing on the Waterfront - a new phenomenon?

PortFees45

I like to start my days with an early morning constitutional and do a few laps around the Waterfront. 

Recent cruise on the Escape was surprised to see for the first time the dreaded towels and clips on unattended chairs as early as 7:30am. I couldn't recall noticing this before. 

I have to assume this is going to be exponentially worse on the Encore. During the peak sea day sun times SpiceH20 and the Deck 19 port/forward sundecks were PACKED. I kept thinking to myself, "Where are all these people going to go?" It's not like the main pool wasn't already an overflowing mass of humanity.

Those wanting to sun will likely be staying on the crowded sundecks rather than the Waterfront although I have seen chair and sofa hogging there in the past. It seems the Waterfront has been “discovered “. 

Mary Ann

I wonder how much worse this problem will be when Norwegian removes PUBLIC sun decks to expand the VIBE area. The Encore has no spice and has the expanded vibe area, it will be much much worse on the Encore 😞

35 minutes ago, shof515 said:

I wonder how much worse this problem will be when Norwegian removes PUBLIC sun decks to expand the VIBE area. The Encore has no spice and has the expanded vibe area, it will be much much worse on the Encore 😞

Encore sounds like a nightmare of a ship unless you're in the Haven, and I don't sail the Haven. I'm a frequent cruiser out of NYC and don't plan to ever set foot on her. 

• Like 1

Well, you missed the hogs that camp'ed out daily in the Fwd atrium lobby - they worked in teams guarding those prime spots with the oversized chairs on our 14 nights Escape in January especially on long sea days & when outdoors 're closed for weather/safety reasons ... everyone else can claim the folding metal chairs scattered all around them. 

It is what it is, sadly.  

The waterfront was sooo nice and it proved that if you didn't chog there would always be enough seats for everybody at any time.

I'm not gonna stand for it, i'm just gonna throw their stuff to the side and sit down. 

Edited by bones774
  • Like 2

This behavior is everywhere now.  Ever hear the story about the "Chalk Circle Lady" at Walt Disney World?  This older woman drew a circle around a curb area on Main Street and screamed at anyone, including children, that walked or sat in "her area" that she was saving for her family to watch the parade.  I think she was finally reported to Security and excused from the park.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Well, you missed the hogs that camp'ed out daily in the Fwd atrium lobby - they worked in teams guarding those prime spots with the oversized chairs on our 14 nights Escape in January especially on long sea days & when outdoors 're closed for weather/safety reasons ... everyone else can claim the folding metal chairs scattered all around them. 

It is what it is, sadly.  

It would be worth getting up at 6:30 A M just to take over some of  “their” chairs for the day and give them a taste of their own medicine. 

Mary Ann

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PortFees45 said:

Not for much longer...hate to see her go. Escape was/is NCL's "last good ship." 

Having only sailed Escape on NCL, if that's their only good ship, then damn, how are they even selling cruises?  That ships was mediocre at best, and an absolute claustrophobic crowded mess at worst.