Question about drink taxes in Barcelona

Birdy9003

20 minutes ago, Birdy9003 said:

Just 20 days till we are on Epic.  Anyone know if you have to pay taxes on drinks there.  With our transfers we will be on the boat several hours before it leaves.  Thanks 

Yes... 10% VAT on 'bar-purchases' (regardless of drink-package purchased or not) while ship is less than 12 miles from Spain

37 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

Yes... 10% VAT on 'bar-purchases' (regardless of drink-package purchased or not) while ship is less than 12 miles from Spain

How recent is that info.

Last I knew (a couple of years ago, but I’ve not seen anything to the contrary since), it is 10% for the entire cruise on the 7 day Western Med route, but not chargeable at all if you have the beverage package.

18 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

How recent is that info.

Last I knew (a couple of years ago, but I’ve not seen anything to the contrary since), it is 10% for the entire cruise on the 7 day Western Med route, but not chargeable at all if you have the beverage package.

A poster had mentioned they were charged back in Dec 2018 even with the PBP. 

14 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

A poster had mentioned they were charged back in Dec 2018 even with the PBP. 

In December the Epic will have been in the US. The rules are quite different in Europe.

If you are talking about itineraries from

Spain in winter 2018 that would be on the Spirit to the Canaries and is a bit different as it travels outside the EU VAT area. The rules there (as applied by NCL) also change sometimes, but you are correct that the tax is only chargeable when close to Spain. When I last did that itinerary (Easter 2018) I don’t think they charged us with the package. However, it is different in the Summer as the Epic doesn’t leave the EU VAT area so tax is chargeable for the whole cruise, but usually hit if you have the package.

if that makes sense. 🙂

Edited by KeithJenner

I was not charged any VAT tax while in any European port. This includes Epic out of Barcelona in July 2018 (Spirit to various Greek and Italian ports in July 2017 and Getaway to the Baltics in July 2019). 

Edited by Chigirlcruzin

1 hour ago, Birdy9003 said:

The tax would really add up plus the 99 dollars a person a day plus gratuities.  Let hope it's not the case.  I dont want to rack up 100s of dollars in tax charges.

You won’t. Never been charged VAT tax on drinks on any of my Europe cruises. 

Bought a sixpack of water on the cruise two months ago, VAT was charged. Was surprised of the charge so actually went to Guest Relations to clear it up and that's when I was told it's the tax.

Edited by El_Rolfo