I have this cruise sickness....

graphicguy

18 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Awright....awright....awright!

Just pulled the trigger on a Haven Suite on the Breakaway for 09/01-09/08.

Price was too good to pass up....in the $3K+ (that's for the cabin, NOT per person) range using my Cruise Next Certs (x2).  That's "all-in" with all the perks.

I need an intervention!!!!!

That sounds awesome!  Hope you have a great time!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DuckTollerFans said:

Before we took our first cruise (which YOU were on!), I never expected to be "afflicted" with this illness.  But it happened. "Bigly."  We've had one since then, but don't have any on the schedule yet, and it's killing me not to pull the trigger on a new reservation.  I think we might pick one for 2021, and hope that some <stupid job upheaval> clears up sooner rather than later, and we can do something in 2020, too.

Anyway, @graphicguy very happy for your upcoming adventure.  And we'll expect reviews and photos, of course!

Thanks!  Of course!

Loved the GEM and meeting you as that was one of my favorite cruises.

20 hours ago, graphicguy said:

... Just pulled the trigger on a Haven Suite on the Breakaway for 09/01-09/08.  Price was too good to pass up.... I need an intervention!!!!!

First, congrats to graphicguy.  (Hi, DuckTollerFans ... Henry, again - nice to read that you are lurking, that "addiction" is infectious, incurable but easily "treated" :classic_cool:

Well, all "in" meaning that, except maybe for a spa pass, all that OBC piled up will translate (me think) into getting more CruiseNext certificates for future "interventions" LOL.  If there is an active Roll Call, you can possibly offer to host an exclusive Haven Tour, by appointments only for serious CC'er thinking of & never seen the upper Mega/+ decks.  Are you taking advantage of "free/reduced" NCL Air ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

First, congrats to graphicguy.  (Hi, DuckTollerFans ... Henry, again - nice to read that you are lurking, that "addiction" is infectious, incurable but easily "treated" :classic_cool:

Well, all "in" meaning that, except maybe for a spa pass, all that OBC piled up will translate (me think) into getting more CruiseNext certificates for future "interventions" LOL.  If there is an active Roll Call, you can possibly offer to host an exclusive Haven Tour, by appointments only for serious CC'er thinking of & never seen the upper Mega/+ decks.  Are you taking advantage of "free/reduced" NCL Air ?

Thanks, Henry!

"All in" does not include things like Spa Pass.  It does include fees, taxes, etc.

These Mini-suites and Haven Suites do come with a bunch of OBC, though.  While NCL direct booking offered no OBC, my on line TA did.  Plus, as has been mentioned before, if you book with AMEX Platinum, they throw in some OBC, too.  In the case of the Haven Suite, it's $300.  Being Platinum Latitudes, I get another $100 of OBC.  I think I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 OBC on this cruise all totaled.

NCL's reduced air perk was $100 from my home, CVG, to MIA.  Not bad, except the downside is they won't schedule me to leave until the day of the cruise.  But, flying from one warm weather airport to another that isn't called O'Hare or LaGuardia should give me a leg up.

The downside, once again, I can't leave until the morning of sailaway.  We all know what that means.  Throw the dice and hope they aren't snake eyes.  The good news, the weather should be "OK" as I'm flying from a warm weather city into another warm weather city.  But, it is hurricane season.  

I'm still trying to redirect some work to let me come in the day before.

NCL would only let me use 2 Cruise Next Certs on this cruise (matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen them let you use more than 2 Certs).  Time for me to invest in some more after running them dry this year.

I signed up for the M&G.  No one I know on their except for @JamieLogical, who posts here quite a bit.  Looking forward to meeting everyone.

All up for a cabin crawl.  I'm a neat and tidy person.  I don't mind people taking a gander at my messy chaos of a cabin.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@graphicguy Regards, I trust that you are always packed & ready to go, watching the latest on Dorian including discussions in the Hurricane Zone, lead by Bill ... often spot on with his simplifed analysis of the technicals.  Using NCL Air, I suppose, has an extra advantage.  Have a safe & nice cruise, probably somewhat bumpy & choppy (rain & wind this weekend in FL) and will be following your "live" posts. 

On my end, no cruises in the immediate future, just lurking with those price drops & tempted to hit "Enter" again and/or dial in ...  1 booking in place for late, late Fall (but not MSC.)  This weekend, a real 2 br/ba suite w. full kitchen & daily housekeeping, not going too far ... feast on seafood & fresh cold water lobster, etc.  

Thanks, Henry!

Feeling like the weather will miss us.  No meteorologist telling me that. Just a gut feel.

This cruise will be it for 2019.  Nothing planned for 2020.  That’s always subject to change.

Not packed yet.  But, am actually doing the laundry tonight that I’ll#

start packing on Friday.  

Tempting fate with flights.  Coming in day of (Again)!  MIA is looking relatively clear...at least right now.  Seems like eastern Caribbean is more likely to get “weather”.  I’m doing the western Caribbean.  Fingers crossed.

Will start a semi-live pic review starting this Saturday right before I head out.

You need to get on the stick!  😁😉

Still, sounds like you’ll be having some fun, too!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/13/2019 at 9:29 AM, Von & John said:

Congrats on the cruise - swaying towards one in October...

OK  --  had to come back...

We pulled the trigger today & booked the Getaway TA...

Copenhagen to New Orleans - Embark in 54 Days...

Now we need to work on Air & Hotel 🙂 

Thanks for the influence...

• Like 1

Half of the fun for me is searching for a good deal and then reading about the ship and the itinerary afterward.  My wife does none of that.  She doesn't care where our cabin is and never goes to YouTube to watch videos of the ship or places that we'll visit.  She'd rather be surprised which is fine. 

Last year, on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, they offered me an upgrade from a veranda to a Signature Suite for a very low price.  Since she like to be surprised, I didn't tell her and, yes, she was surprised!

Edited by ricka47
  • Like 1

Here's a poem I found years ago that says it's all.[emoji6]

An Ode to Post-Cruise Depression

I’m so depressed! Oh woe is me!
Please return me to the Caribbean Sea.
Who could’ve known it would feel like this.
I never knew the things I’d miss.

No towel animal sitting on my bed.
Washing towels at home instead.
No cabin steward turning down my covers.
No noise from neighboring balcony lovers.

No Eggs Benedict or bagels and lox.
My breakfast now comes from a box.
No table waiters at my beck and call.
No pigging out at a food free-for-all.

No double lobsters heaped on my plate.
Now Lean Cuisine’s become my fate.
No swollen ankles above my feet.
No friendly strangers for me to meet.

No Cruise Director to entertain me.
My night’s now wasted in front of TV.
No slot machines stealing all my money.
No lying ‘bout what I spent to my honey.

No steel drum music by the pool.
No frozen drinks to keep me cool.
No ocean breeze upon my face.
No fighting for my deck chair space.

No checking out the poolside hunks.
Or big fat guys in Speedo trunks.
No bikini clad chicks for hubby to see.
No more comparing them to me!

No blistered sunburn on my neck.
No midnight strolls up on the deck.
No tender rides over to the piers.
No cheap and plentiful Mexican beers.

Only been a day since my Cruisin’ trip.
Good Lord, Oh how I miss that ship!
Yeah, my fantasy cruise did cost Big Bucks.
But worth every penny ~ cuz REALITY SUCKS

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Oh yes, I am addicted! Sailed in the YC on MSC and loved it. I am now lurking, and patiently waiting for 2021 to open as I have heard rumors of Alaska. If not still ok because the DH and I will be booking MSC in 2021. In November my DD and I will be sailing on the Getaway for her birthday. To show no favoritism in cruise line choices my children are treating me to a 4-day Baja cruise with 1-day hotel (DD and DGD) before embarking on a 7-day on Carnival Panorama (DD and DS).  It is a 70th birthday cruise promise they made eons ago. Meanwhile...hmmm perhaps I should think about two cruises for 2021. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I got it, too. We just got back from the Breakaway western Caribbean the week of Aug 18 and we're hooked. It was our second cruise - first was to Alaska a few years ago - and this time was in the Haven due to a huge amount of Chase Reward points. My husband doesn't travel well, but still likes to vacation, so having a set bedroom and still getting to see interesting things in port is a good combination. I think we'll stay with Norwegian since we like the freestyle aspect, and being on the same line means we get used to how they do things. Loyalty rewards are also cool. We REALLY enjoyed not being on the Internet for a week - we had the package but I only used it for a few minutes to check something on Amazon and the connection was so bad it didn't work. 

We got 4 Cruise Next certs, so now I just need to get good at playing the Norwegian system. 

• Like 2

It is a waxing/waning illness.  Go on land tours, and that is what it is all about.  Then return to cruising, and the unpacking once, everything in easy reach, relaxation of sea days, mind numbing relaxation kick in.

What is a patient to do??

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ricka47 said:

Half of the fun for me is searching for a good deal and then reading about the ship and the itinerary afterward.  My wife does none of that.  She doesn't care where our cabin is and never goes to YouTube to watch videos of the ship or places that we'll visit.  She'd rather be surprised which is fine. 

Last year, on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, they offered me an upgrade from a veranda to a Signature Suite for a very low price.  Since she like to be surprised, I didn't tell her and, yes, she was surprised!

I totally get that.  It's usually a cruise "deal" that makes me rearrange my life in order to snag it.  Where the ship is going is secondary (although still an influence).

Keeping my eyes peeled on the weather channel following Dorian.  It has to go through some gyrations to become serious, and it's moving eastward, not westward....which is the way I'm sailing.  But, I have to get to the port, first.

15 hours ago, Von & John said:

OK  --  had to come back...

We pulled the trigger today & booked the Getaway TA...

Copenhagen to New Orleans - Embark in 54 Days...

Now we need to work on Air & Hotel 🙂 

Thanks for the influence...

Yay!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I totally get that.  It's usually a cruise "deal" that makes me rearrange my life in order to snag it.  Where the ship is going is secondary (although still an influence).

Keeping my eyes peeled on the weather channel following Dorian.  It has to go through some gyrations to become serious, and it's moving eastward, not westward....which is the way I'm sailing.  But, I have to get to the port, first.

Keeping my fingers crossed and sending positive vibes your way.  Pretty sure you'll make it to the port... I leave the rest up to you.  Best of luck 😉

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 11:03 PM, AKR2011 said:

I am addicted too. I save my pennies for one cruise every two years ago. It is a long wait, worth it of course, but a long wait. Luckily, I do have some pull with the DH and we look for longer voyages. I bargain hunt  and it works out pretty well.

I am with you on saving pennies when it comes to cruising!  We are addicted to cruising and there is no way I would pay $2000 pp for 7 days.  Because we don't have to have a balcony or have to book Haven (never in the cabin except to sleep and shower), we have 63 days booked over the next year.  If we were to book Haven we would have 7 or 14 days booked max.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Based on the latest track, it looks like you may get better weather at the port in MIA than we will get here.  Picking up gasoline for the generator and topping off my hurricane kit today just in case.......

2 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Based on the latest track, it looks like you may get better weather at the port in MIA than we will get here.  Picking up gasoline for the generator and topping off my hurricane kit today just in case.......

Stay safe, Dave.  

I'm seeing all sorts of information.  One of the news reports said that the tracking tools provided by the weather service are terrible (www.weather.gov).  That seems ominous.  Don't know if they weather service had budget cuts, or what.  But, not seeing much in the way of reliable info.

• Like 1