Diamond Princess firedoors and balconies

san diego sue

A friend of mine just booked two cabins on the Diamond Princess balcony cabins C635 and C701. They are next door to each other. Looks like on the deck plan there is a fire door showing in hallway. She thought and so did I that when there is a fire door the cabins balconies don't connect to each other. I did a mock booking and don't see that on the booking. She was told by Princess future cruise consultant they do open.She just booked those cabins while on a current cruise on a different ship. I know on some ships, when balcony doors don't connect it is mentioned on the booking description.We have had balconies that this was the case.

Anyone stayed in those two cabins or the ones on port side on the Diamond(or sister ship the Sapphire).She did email her travel agent back home and he thought that when there is a fire door, those balconies don't open.I have also had that on cruises that I was on but don't remember which ship.

48 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

The marking of cabin comments (connecting etc) in regard to this is inconsistent.

I doubt the Princess reps could give an accurate answer.

I agree. I know I have had one and it didn't connect to the one next door. In fact my cabin door was by itself and didn't have a neighbor door next to it.I do remember however, I knew this in advance that no connection. I emailed my friends and told them to change to two others not near the fire door.

• Like 1

I agree with Colo Cruiser's commits, but our family was on the Ruby in June, we had mini-suites D 629, 631, & 633.  The Ruby deck plan shows a fire wall between 633 and 701. The attached photo clearly shows a door between 633 & 701,  of course it was never opened, but I can't imagine that door being there just for appearance. IMG_2784.thumb.jpg.12b9af2bad70e5003fa55be5dde590c1.jpg 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HogTide said:

I agree with Colo Cruiser's commits, but our family was on the Ruby in June, we had mini-suites D 629, 631, & 633.  The Ruby deck plan shows a fire wall between 633 and 701. The attached photo clearly shows a door between 633 & 701,  of course it was never opened, but I can't imagine that door being there just for appearance. IMG_2784.thumb.jpg.12b9af2bad70e5003fa55be5dde590c1.jpg 

Forget about the door how was that beer 😁

Tony

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2019 at 9:01 AM, san diego sue said:

I know on some ships, when balcony doors don't connect it is mentioned on the booking description.We have had balconies that this was the case.

My opinion:  if you don't have a notation like the "Special Notes" below, you are good.

48557412916_3025516c33_z.jpg

On 8/11/2019 at 8:05 AM, Haboob said:

Balconies are external to the ship's fire compartmentalization, so that's not an issue when figuring out if the balcony divider will have a pass-through.

I believe your comment is correct.  On Coral Princess, my stateroom was D301.  There was a fire door outside my stateroom that separated my section of the hallway from the one forward of my stateroom.  On my balcony, the balcony's forward divider did appear to be able to be opened.

If one has observed the crew preparing for the start of a new cruise, all of the dividers on the decks that have veranda staterooms are opened so that the crew have the ability to easily and quickly wash down the verandas on that deck.  

On 8/11/2019 at 5:05 AM, Haboob said:

Balconies are external to the ship's fire compartmentalization, so that's not an issue when figuring out if the balcony divider will have a pass-through.

I think this is true. I say this because of a video I saw from someone aboard the Diamond Princess  (see link below)

https://youtu.be/Sb-NteRNAvo?t=10m3s

Edited by PurpleRose23
Typo

Do the decks tier out on Diamond like they do on Grand and Caribbean i.e. are Caribe deck balconies the largest? 

Additionally, the website states that whilst in Japan, Diamond doesn’t offer Anytime Dining. Is this still the case for all other Asian itineraries too?

TIA 😘.

Edited by villauk