miss ship / ID and money in safe

Jasonmom

I know people recommend different things:  "take passport at all times", "take pictures of your ID", "take pictures of your passports", "only take your cruise key card", and so on and so on............

My question is - if I miss the trip due to illness / injury /  just plain stupidity, does the ship remove items from safe (such as money and IDs) and give them to people at port for you to get once there.  I'm almost certain I heard that they did this for someone once - removed their passports from safe and left with port authorities. 

I have read several accounts of cruise ship crew providing the contents of the cabin safe to the port agent in the event of passengers missing the ship. If you or I miss the ship I would not rely on this happening. If I found myself in that situation and the port agent had my passport and valuables I would be very pleasantly surprised.

The most obvious response is to 1) not miss the ship 2) have what you need with you when off the ship.

We got one of the passport cards. They're about the size of a driver's license. We take that and our cruise card and maybe a credit card. 

We were on a cruise where a couple missed the ship and the crew took their passports and wallets to the port agent. Guess they got them from their room safe.

From reading your other posts...

Don't stress about what your brother will do. Just go and enjoy the cruise.  If he does something stupid, it's his fault.  He made his bed let him lie in it.  You should be enjoying your precruise planning,not stressing out if your brother will miss the ship.  Plan on being back an hour before and you don't have to worry about what is or isn't in the safe.  You made a joke about your brother, but I think your joke is more indicative of what kind of person you think your brother is...  It not your job to take care of your brother, if he missed the ship, he is an adult he will figure it out. You can't control what others do, so don't try to.

I recommend you do fun research instead of worst case scenario research.

Happy planning!

• Like 3

I've also heard that they will search your safe and briefly search your room to try to find your passports and leave them with the port agent.  You can easily scan your passport so you will at least have a copy and it will be easier to replace.  I've also read that in Alaska, they go to the bars right next to the port to try to find missing passengers, and that's where they usually are! 

Edited by kitkat343

On 8/9/2019 at 10:31 AM, Jasonmom said:

I know people recommend different things:  "take passport at all times", "take pictures of your ID", "take pictures of your passports", "only take your cruise key card", and so on and so on............

My question is - if I miss the trip due to illness / injury /  just plain stupidity, does the ship remove items from safe (such as money and IDs) and give them to people at port for you to get once there.  I'm almost certain I heard that they did this for someone once - removed their passports from safe and left with port authorities. 

Take the required photo ID and room key.

Don’t count on anyone opening your safe and getting anything. If you ever watch the sport of pier running in a port like Nassau, there are dozens that show up late. And the ship is not opening dozens of rooms and tossing safe contents into bags. 

Photocopy of an ID or passports, worthless. It’s like driving around your home town with a photocopy of your drivers license. Not accepted at any store. Not accepted by any cop pulling you over. Won’t get you into a club. Won’t get you past port security. 

The chances of you losing your passport, getting pick pocketed, getting bag snatched while on shore is infinitely higher than you missing the ship. 

Enjoy your cruise. Stop worrying about being in an accident and being in an ER. 

36 minutes ago, bearette said:

From reading your other posts...

Don't stress about what your brother will do. Just go and enjoy the cruise.  If he does something stupid, it's his fault.  He made his bed let him lie in it.  You should be enjoying your precruise planning,not stressing out if your brother will miss the ship.  Plan on being back an hour before and you don't have to worry about what is or isn't in the safe.  You made a joke about your brother, but I think your joke is more indicative of what kind of person you think your brother is...  It not your job to take care of your brother, if he missed the ship, he is an adult he will figure it out. You can't control what others do, so don't try to.

I recommend you do fun research instead of worst case scenario research.

Happy planning!

I think my brother is a wonderful person who has a zest for life that I wish I did.  If something happened to him while on the cruise you had better believe that I would stay with him.  That's just the type of person I am.

I can't help worrying.  I'm 99% sure he wouldn't do something stupid, but that 1%...........  He isn't worrying about it; thus I wish I was more like him.

On 8/9/2019 at 1:55 PM, Pauser said:

We got one of the passport cards. They're about the size of a driver's license. We take that and our cruise card and maybe a credit card. 

We were on a cruise where a couple missed the ship and the crew took their passports and wallets to the port agent. Guess they got them from their room safe.

Passport cards are NOT accepted for international air travel so they are pretty useless if you miss the ship..... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Take the required photo ID and room key.

Don’t count on anyone opening your safe and getting anything. If you ever watch the sport of pier running in a port like Nassau, there are dozens that show up late. And the ship is not opening dozens of rooms and tossing safe contents into bags. 

Photocopy of an ID or passports, worthless. It’s like driving around your home town with a photocopy of your drivers license. Not accepted at any store. Not accepted by any cop pulling you over. Won’t get you into a club. Won’t get you past port security. 

The chances of you losing your passport, getting pick pocketed, getting bag snatched while on shore is infinitely higher than you missing the ship. 

Enjoy your cruise. Stop worrying about being in an accident and being in an ER. 

"Not accepted by any cop pulling you over".  That is NOT true in Ohio. Now you are giving a paper to carry until the new enhanced DL is mailed to you , which can take up to 3 weeks.

The paper has enough info , that the police CAN run through computer.

It is a Pain in the A$$ for all though.

10 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Passport cards are NOT accepted for international air travel so they are pretty useless if you miss the ship..... 

They may not be acceptable for air transport but they can make expediting a new passport book very easy at any US Consulate

19 hours ago, esm54687 said:

I didn't say I used it for travel. I said I take it with me when I get off the ship in lieu of carrying my passport around. And it makes it very easy to replace your passport if need be.

Edited by Pauser

Simple solution, DON'T LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU!!! on

Honestly, how many pax allow it to happen to them? Yes, we see the "Pier runners" but how many do you actually see on any given cruise? I wager, not that many; however, if you or someone in your group allows themselves to become inebriated or distracted, it's easy to forget the time. What happens after that is or can be an unknown.  

There are some ports, at which, I might accidently, on  purpose, forget the time I need to be back on the ship..... few and far between I know but, all due respect, I have to say, an adult male, he needs to be aware of his responsibilities, which is to be back at the ship in time to board.    Just sayin'......

24 minutes ago, Pauser said:

I didn't say I used it for travel. I said I take it with me when I get off the ship in lieu of carrying my passport around. And it makes it very easy to replace your passport if need be.

I only pointed out that the passport card can not be used for international air travel (neither can an EDL which is also a passport card) ..... because sometimes when people see "passport" they sometimes skip the word card or book..... or they just say "passport" and there are 2 very different types and one is very restrictive.

In your case, a picture of your actual passport book on your phone and a governemt issued ID would work the exact same way in expediting a replacement ..... or my preference, using the US State Department's Mobile Passport app. As BirdTravels mentioned earlier.... this won't get me into the port but will get me back to the States a little quicker if I miss the ship.

And you actually said nothing about taking the card in lieu of the book... or that you already had a book...... so your situation is completely different than someone with just a government issued ID.

2 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

I only pointed out that the passport card can not be used for international air travel (neither can an EDL which is also a passport card) ..... because sometimes when people see "passport" they sometimes skip the word card or book..... or they just say "passport" and there are 2 very different types and one is very restrictive.

In your case, a picture of your actual passport book on your phone and a governemt issued ID would work the exact same way in expediting a replacement ..... or my preference, using the US State Department's Mobile Passport app. As BirdTravels mentioned earlier.... this won't get me into the port but will get me back to the States a little quicker if I miss the ship.

And you actually said nothing about taking the card in lieu of the book... or that you already had a book...... so your situation is completely different than someone with just a government issued ID.

So, to summarize...have a passport BOOK on your cruise and the only thing you will have to worry about will be chair hogs and smaller crab cakes.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jasonmom said:

I think my brother is a wonderful person who has a zest for life that I wish I did.  If something happened to him while on the cruise you had better believe that I would stay with him.  That's just the type of person I am.

I can't help worrying.  I'm 99% sure he wouldn't do something stupid, but that 1%...........  He isn't worrying about it; thus I wish I was more like him.

The song "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" comes to mind...