Sail away interior

pmjnh

Hello, we have never cruised on NCL but are considering a NE/Canada last minute deal in a sail away interior room on the GEM. this is a guarantee. Have you secured this category and if so, what locations did you end up with at room assignment?

thanks

The worst areas would be above or under a noisy venue like the night club, theater, galley or pool area.  If you do get assigned to one of those, take ear plugs to sleep at night.  Good luck!  If you get a good deal it would be worth the inconvenience just to be on the ship, IMHO.

Edited by nwcruiselover

I got assigned cabin 8007 on the gem this spring. Not a bad cabin unless you have rough seas. It then turns into a nightmare. The sound of the waves hitting the hull every couple of minutes is loud and scary. The cabin rocked so hard that I could not walk one step in it without holding on to furniture. Could not take a shower when it was rough ( too dangerous). Had to keep shampoo, lotion etc in a drawer or they would fly around. I have been on many cruises with rougher seas but never felt it as bad as that.

2 hours ago, hladygirl said:

I got assigned cabin 8007 on the gem this spring. Not a bad cabin unless you have rough seas. It then turns into a nightmare. The sound of the waves hitting the hull every couple of minutes is loud and scary. The cabin rocked so hard that I could not walk one step in it without holding on to furniture. Could not take a shower when it was rough ( too dangerous). Had to keep shampoo, lotion etc in a drawer or they would fly around. I have been on many cruises with rougher seas but never felt it as bad as that.

Wow that must have been some big waves to crash against deck 8!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hladygirl said:

Wow, that sounds awfully uncomfortable! May I ask what ocean you were sailing  when this occurred? (just curious.)

Just now, Sauer-kraut said:

Wow that must have been some big waves to crash against deck 8!  

Have ever stayed on deck 8 forward in bad weather? It is not fun. The 1st time was an oops bad choice swore we would never do it again. This time was a sailaway interior assignment. Won’t do that again either. The people in cabins near me were being moved to different cabins the next day. I chose to stay because the worst was over.

3 hours ago, hladygirl said:

Anywhere that far forward can give you quiet the ride in heavy seas, and the waves crashing against the hull sound like thunder, that is so loud it can be heard on all the decks. People who haven't been up there have no idea what you experience at the bow of the ship in rough seas.

I’m on my 4th sail away cabin next week in the Baltic’s. I have never been assigned lower than deck 8. The savings by booking a sail away cabin inside of final payment is huge. If my assignment was something that I adamantly hated, I would bid the crap out of the upgrade. 😀

I do guarantees a lot to save money. I have gotten all the way forward next to the anchor (horrible noise when docked, but so convenient to the buffet), down in the depths in steerage (far from the pool but very convenient for main dinning rooms, and awesome for exiting and returning from ports).  If you are picky, then don't book one,  but if you can live with minor inconveniences then they are great. You may end up with a gem of a room.  My mom and aunt got upgraded to an ocean view in Alaska so you need know.

We're on the baltic cruise next week, too. We made a reservation for "IX", sail away interior with "Free At Sea". The next day prior our final booking they gave us a call to offer an oceanview for just a few € more. We decided to accept this offer. Two days later we received another call, and got an "panorama" Oceanview at deck 12, nice. The very nice agent on the line told me to give them a call next week again for another "surprise". I'll wait till wednesday :-)

That may happen if you book "sail away".

28 minutes ago, step78 said:

We're on the baltic cruise next week, too. We made a reservation for "IX", sail away interior with "Free At Sea". The next day prior our final booking they gave us a call to offer an oceanview for just a few € more. We decided to accept this offer. Two days later we received another call, and got an "panorama" Oceanview at deck 12, nice. The very nice agent on the line told me to give them a call next week again for another "surprise". I'll wait till wednesday 🙂

That may happen if you book "sail away".

That’s awesome!

The inside sail away ( ix)on the Gem that we are considering was not eligible for Free at Sea.

Edited by pmjnh

10 minutes ago, pmjnh said:

That’s awesome!

The inside sail away ( ix)on the Gem that we are considering was not eligible for Free at Sea.

There is a difference between Sailaway and GTY. With sailaway cabins, you get no perks, however, with GTY (usually a bit more expensive) you get the option of Free at sea promo offers.  With an inside, you'd only get to choose 1 FAS promo, Oceanview, 2 FAS offers and Balcony and above, all FAS offers. 

Depends on the market you're in. German NCL department allows to book Free at sea for 99€ in "sailaway" too. (2 of 5) it's not allowed if your cabin is sail away and "special price" whatever this may be.

On 8/10/2019 at 5:30 PM, hladygirl said:

Wow, that sounds awfully uncomfortable! May I ask what ocean you were sailing  when this occurred? (just curious.)