Uk plug socket

zeberdee

5 minutes ago, zeberdee said:

Hi,

could anyone tell me if they have UK style sockets in the cabins?

I would like to take my hairdryer but it will only work on 230v  3 pin.

Many thanks 

No. They have 120v  US sockets and 240v Euro sockets. I think you could use the Euro socket with a plug adapter UK to Euro. Also there is a hairdryer in the cabin. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

There are lots of threads on here (often in connection with CPAP machines) that say surge protectors are not permitted on cruise ships. The reason seems to be due to the different approach to earthing the sockets - which results in rather having a 'live' and 'neutral' connections you end up having 2 live connections that are out of phase with each other.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zeberdee said:

Hi,

could anyone tell me if they have UK style sockets in the cabins?

I would like to take my hairdryer but it will only work on 230v  3 pin.

Many thanks 

I always take my own hairdryer and the European adaptor works fine. My GHD styler will work on the US outlet as will ipad and phone chargers so I bring a US adaptor too. 

32 minutes ago, lovescarborough said:

I always take my own hairdryer and the European adaptor works fine. My GHD styler will work on the US outlet as will ipad and phone chargers so I bring a US adaptor too. 

By coincidence on my Twitter feed this was mentioned in relation to older GHD stylers 

image.png.90b72c41af0784a2532a0ce12cc61ef8.png

57 minutes ago, Jossie1960 said:

Yes it is surge protected with LED light and has CE conformity. Check out the link previously posted.

They are exaggerating. All it has is fuse protection. There is no ground. You can see the US and Euro pins. Only two connections. Since it does not have a ground connection there is no danger using it on a ship. 

5 hours ago, Jossie1960 said:

Yes it is surge protected with LED light and has CE conformity. Check out the link previously posted.

Looking at the picture in post 4, if you were using that item plugged into an US outlet, it it is not providing surge protection.  For surge protection you need a three prong outlet.  One is positive, one is negative and the third is ground.  If the surge protection "fires" it dumps to the ground.  If this happens on board a ship this can cause the surge protector to overheat and thus be a fire hazard.  In the broad sense, the ship is grounded but there are issues in regards to a surge protector dumping to ground on board a ship.

Just because it has a pretty LED light and has CE conformity doesn't mean it is a surge protected device.